CFZ Will McClay is more valuable than any coach here

JBS

Reaction score
I didn't like the draft but I did like the first pick. He's looked awful. From game 1 to game 17.
I just knew in training camp that there was nothing to suggest the class was a home run. I have no idea how that guy had that thought. It never made any sense. Looks even dumber now

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
That's like a parent delegating disciplining to the babysitter. Some things ONLY THE HEAD COACH CAN AND SHOULD DECIDE. To me, late game clock management is one of them. The 3 consecutive passes with under 2 min left is an example of why this is flawed. How can MM make good decisions on the play call when he's not even conscious of the late-game clock management because he delegated that to the guy who is upstairs?

I can't think of a good coach who has done this. Not Landry. Parcells. Jimmy. Belichick. NONE. Find someone that can chew gum and walk at the same time.
Reports are that at least one of those passes was Dak free-styling but that Mike just shouldered the blame.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Look, I don’t want to lose Dan Quinn, but he’s likely gone if he wants a HC job. Which is exactly what reliable Cowboys insiders like David Moore and Bob Sturm have reported this week. It’s not about the money for him now- it’s about being a HC again.

But losing assistant coaches is a normal occurrence when your team is winning. Over the great history of this franchise, we have lost some great assistants to head coaching jobs. Dan Reeves, Mike Ditka, Gene Stallings, Dave Wannstedt, Butch Davis, Sean Payton, just to name a few. It’s a normal occurrence when your team is winning. I expect no amount of Jerry money can keep Dan Quinn if he has the head coaching bug again.

Will McClay is the guy we can least afford to lose. The quality of drafts and player personnel improvements over the last decade is a straight line to McClay. The much improved talent level of this organization is due To McClay’s ability to scout and identify talent.

Put it this way - Without Will McClay, this organization is back to fantasy football drafts with Jerry and Giggles. Remember the “special teams draft“ of 2009? Remember the WR trades for Joey Galloway and Roy Williams?

If that gives you a sick feeling like me, we all need to pray Jerry either decides to name WIll McClay the new GM of the Cowboys or that McClay continues to want to be the man in the shadows while Jerry and Giggles get the “credit”.
DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Will McClay can probably out coach many coaches in Dallas. Do you think it is a coincidence that a former Rice DB keeps finding starters, Pro Bowler, and All Pros at the DB Position?

Look how many starters, Pro Bowlers, All Pros, and UDFA that became contributors that he has given Jerry Dumbo GM Jones and did it during Winnie the Pooh, The Clapper, and the Big Blue M&M coaching eras.

Losing him starts the Jimmy Johnson curse all over again. Tell Jerry give up the title GM and move on to glory.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Count me among the throng of fans who would be very disappointed if Will McClay were to leave this team. The prospects of what might occur if Jerry and Stephen were solely in charge of player management is frightening. Such ideas disturb me.
Perish the thought. :omg: Putting him in charge of the GM duties would make my day!

Last edited:

fivetwos

Reaction score
Maybe Jerry will have to give up Friday as his day to make draft picks.

Not sure if he is ready for that.

silvernblu

Reaction score
Look, I don’t want to lose Dan Quinn, but he’s likely gone if he wants a HC job. Which is exactly what reliable Cowboys insiders like David Moore and Bob Sturm have reported this week. It’s not about the money for him now- it’s about being a HC again.

But losing assistant coaches is a normal occurrence when your team is winning. Over the great history of this franchise, we have lost some great assistants to head coaching jobs. Dan Reeves, Mike Ditka, Gene Stallings, Dave Wannstedt, Butch Davis, Sean Payton, just to name a few. It’s a normal occurrence when your team is winning. I expect no amount of Jerry money can keep Dan Quinn if he has the head coaching bug again.

Will McClay is the guy we can least afford to lose. The quality of drafts and player personnel improvements over the last decade is a straight line to McClay. The much improved talent level of this organization is due To McClay’s ability to scout and identify talent.

Put it this way - Without Will McClay, this organization is back to fantasy football drafts with Jerry and Giggles. Remember the “special teams draft“ of 2009? Remember the WR trades for Joey Galloway and Roy Williams?

If that gives you a sick feeling like me, we all need to pray Jerry either decides to name WIll McClay the new GM of the Cowboys or that McClay continues to want to be the man in the shadows while Jerry and Giggles get the “credit”.
He deserves a shot at GM. Jerry just step down and enjoy retirement!

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How did you like the 3rd pick?
Well I remember when I posted the Cowboys interest in Overshown bringing him in for a visit it was met with a collective groan with not one voice of support for the player.

Let me guess. You've discovered how much you like him now?

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
Reports are that at least one of those passes was Dak free-styling but that Mike just shouldered the blame.
Yeah I heard that. I still hold that against MM. In that moment, at this juncture of the season your QB can't be going Jameis Winston.

plasticman

Reaction score
I can see him wanting to leave. For years he has been selling his credit and achievements to Jerry Jones for cash.He isa the Cowbosy GM with the exception that Jerry Jones retains veto power, which i doubt he has had to use often.

When an NFL football team experiences success, that GM deserves to be recognized and remembered. If the Cowboys do succeed and win a SB or two, the wrong person is going to get the majority of credit when it comes to the personnel decisions.

I wouldn't blame McClay at all if he decided he has enough money and has decided to establish his legacy.

I hope Jerry is willing to dig a little deeper in those pockets. After all, those pockets are filled with cash earned from the teams that McClay built.

rambo2

Reaction score
Well I remember when I posted the Cowboys interest in Overshown bringing him in for a visit it was met with a collective groan with not one voice of support for the player.

Let me guess. You've discovered how much you like him now?
I liked him in college.

Chasing6

Reaction score

I don't give Jerry much credit and I don't blame Will McClay for dumb decision like the Trey Lance trade.

As fans, what we don't know is how often Will McClay gets overruled by Jerry and/or the coaching staff. Ultimately if Will still feels like he voice is being heard or not will be factor in his decision. Pretty sure Jerry pays him well and not sure he has an ego for wanting a title change.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I understand everyone gives Will the credit for his talent scouting which has helped build some better teams in recent years .

But I think we should also take into account the continued misses we’ve had in the draft including missing on high round draft picks especially on defense which has arguably prevented this team from having more success.

Thus far we’ve basically built just a good enough team to remain relevant , interesting and a playoff contender . Just because we appear on the cusp of something greater we haven’t reached that plateau yet.

If not for one of the biggest front runner collapses in recent years and bizarre coaching decisions we’ve seen we wouldn’t even be in a better position with 2 seed. We certainly didn’t play our best football in December propelling us to winning the division.

Yes, Will has been an effective addition to our dysfunctional ownership and front office . His expertise is in Talent Scouting . But he hasn’t been enough to prevent them from making stupid risk in the draft on injury prone and problem picks . Nor has he prevented us from making poor decisions when we thought we’d be fine with RB by Committee . Or cutting loose our Top WR then needing to trade a top pick to save a season. All miscalculations by someone in FO hopefully not named Will.

And he’s obviously not making the picks or trades on Draft Day. He’s not negotiating contracts . He’s our Chief talent scout. I’m not sure he’s even doing as much as Gil Brandt did who actually found talent no one else basically knew of .

Hitting on 1st round picks isn’t that difficult and we’ve missed on some as well. Drafting gurus find those gems in mid to late draft picks or undrafted. Our greatest hit on defense fell in our lap because the 2 CB’s were snatched right from under us .

Our 4th round QB another one which was drafted not to be the heir apparent . Our franchise turned in a better direction when we used three 1st round picks to build OL. And then hit on a 3rd round pick at RB. That changed the direction of this franchise helping make less than Elite QB’s more effective into a playoff contender.

Will can be replaced. And maybe with someone who doesn’t miss as much and addresses some of the holes and weaknesses which have prevented this team from becoming better and more success. The bigger question is finding someone Daddy and Son trust even though they obviously don’t listen all the time anyway.

I get why the thought of losing Will is a concern. I’m not saying there’s not some concerns. I’m just trying to provide another perspective because as much as it’s a little better than what Parcells left us. Not much. At least not if we are measuring it by results in the playoffs at this point.

I maintain this team is over hyped. And are damn lucky we aren’t the 5th seed. The good news is the NFC is down and primed for us to finally reach a Champ Game. Which would be progress and something positive to build on.

But we aren’t there yet. And when I look around at how Detroit has rebuilt and what SF has built and what it appeared Phil had built( which I still think in coming years they’ll be back) we could still have several teams in our way.

Which means other teams are still faring better. Not to mention several in AFC. So, my biggest fear is still our ownership not losing Will or one of our coaches. I think Will has just become this warm blanket to shield us from who’s actually still running the show. It makes us feel better. Perhaps a false sense of security.

rambo2

Reaction score
I don't give Jerry much credit and I don't blame Will McClay for dumb decision like the Trey Lance trade.

As fans, what we don't know is how often Will McClay gets overruled by Jerry and/or the coaching staff. Ultimately if Will still feels like he voice is being heard or not will be factor in his decision. Pretty sure Jerry pays him well and not sure he has an ego for wanting a title change.
Can you give us a name of what qb you would be taking with that 4th round pick instead of Lance?

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
I have to agree with you...McClay over MM or DQ... Jerry should bribe him with his name on the ROH. :muttley:

Chasing6

Reaction score
Can you give us a name of what qb you would be taking with that 4th round pick instead of Lance?
One that fits Bill Parcels requirements:

1. Be a college Senior and graduate
2. Be a 3 year starter
3. Start at least 30 games and win 23 or more
4. 2/1 TD/Int ratio
5. 60% minimum completion

There will be plenty to chose from. Just go back and look at Brock Purdy.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If MM could finally lead us back to a Champ Game or more could our egotistical owner delegate more responsibility to him?

That might be my greatest hope.

Perhaps with that level of success Jethro could be publicly pressured to let go more and take credit for making better overall decisions .

Either that or his ego will not allow him to give MM his due and run him off like he did Jimmy.

The fact Jethro finally caved on inducting Jimmy provides me more hope than I’ve had public pressure could influence better decisions if he finally achieved the success he’s been pursuing all of these years.