CFZ Will McClay is more valuable than any coach here

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Look, I don’t want to lose Dan Quinn, but he’s likely gone if he wants a HC job. Which is exactly what reliable Cowboys insiders like David Moore and Bob Sturm have reported this week. It’s not about the money for him now- it’s about being a HC again.

But losing assistant coaches is a normal occurrence when your team is winning. Over the great history of this franchise, we have lost some great assistants to head coaching jobs. Dan Reeves, Mike Ditka, Gene Stallings, Dave Wannstedt, Butch Davis, Sean Payton, just to name a few. It’s a normal occurrence when your team is winning. I expect no amount of Jerry money can keep Dan Quinn if he has the head coaching bug again.

Will McClay is the guy we can least afford to lose. The quality of drafts and player personnel improvements over the last decade is a straight line to McClay. The much improved talent level of this organization is due To McClay’s ability to scout and identify talent.

Put it this way - Without Will McClay, this organization is back to fantasy football drafts with Jerry and Giggles. Remember the “special teams draft“ of 2009? Remember the WR trades for Joey Galloway and Roy Williams?

If that gives you a sick feeling like me, we all need to pray Jerry either decides to name WIll McClay the new GM of the Cowboys or that McClay continues to want to be the man in the shadows while Jerry and Giggles get the “credit”.
First of all, the 2009 draft was one of the worst, if not the worst, drafts ever. Go look at the thread I started about that draft. Most of those players were nothing but special teamers. 90% Chance a player was going to be mediocre at best or bust. That is how bad it was.

Does McClay get the credit for the Cooks and Gilmore trades? All McClay in your eyes?

Does Jerry get any credit for Ware? Is this where you insert ‘blind squirrel’ comment?

Do you think McClay does all the scouting by himself? McClay has a bunch of scouts under him who watch film and bring players to his attention. It is a group effort. The group listens to what type of players the coaches want. They also highlight any good players regardless if not a fit with scheme or coaches. McClay discusses the players with the coaches and Jerry and son. I would bet there usually is a consensus on the eventual pick. Jerry listens to advice. Most billionaires do.

McClay does a very good job. I would bet there are others under him who would do a very good job at it too. Always that way with billion dollar corporations. Everybody is replaceable.

It would be a bummer if McClay left but I am confident that for the money Jerry spends on scouting, the scouting team would continue to function well.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
First of all, the 2009 draft was one of the worst, if not the worst, drafts ever. Go look at the thread I started about that draft. Most of those players were nothing but special teamers. 90% Chance a player was going to be mediocre at best or bust. That is how bad it was.

Does McClay get the credit for the Cooks and Gilmore trades? All McClay in your eyes?

Does Jerry get any credit for Ware? Is this where you insert ‘blind squirrel’ comment?

Do you think McClay does all the scouting by himself? McClay has a bunch of scouts under him who watch film and bring players to his attention. It is a group effort. The group listens to what type of players the coaches want. They also highlight any good players regardless if not a fit with scheme or coaches. McClay discusses the players with the coaches and Jerry and son. I would bet there usually is a consensus on the eventual pick. Jerry listens to advice. Most billionaires do.

McClay does a very good job. I would bet there are others under him who would do a very good job at it too. Always that way with billion dollar corporations. Everybody is replaceable.

It would be a bummer if McClay left but I am confident that for the money Jerry spends on scouting, the scouting team would continue to function well.
If McClay isn’t all that, why does Jerry Jones pay him the same money as an NFL GM? JJ has twice extended his time here by writing a bigger and bigger check to retain him. Why would he do that twice?

As I said in my OP, Jerry definitely deserves some credit. Especially for hiring good people on several occasions- McClay being one of them. I’m just saying McClay‘s work has been very, very important to the talent acquisition and success of this team. He’s being paid accordingly.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
If McClay isn’t all that, why does Jerry Jones pay him the same money as an NFL GM? JJ has twice extended his time here by writing a bigger and bigger check to retain him. Why would he do that twice?

As I said in my OP, Jerry definitely deserves some credit. Especially for hiring good people on several occasions- McClay being one of them. I’m just saying McClay‘s work has been very, very important to the talent acquisition and success of this team. He’s being paid accordingly.
Newsflash: Jerry Jones is not cheap. Money is not an object. He pays well. I am sure he also likes McClay as a person, or he would not be there. I am sure Jerry pays all the scouts top buck.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Everyone should root for McClay staying, no one strikes it right 100% of the time with player evaluations, but it seems the Cowboys have much more of a team approach around personnel vs Jerry making the calls himself before McClay. A big part of that is the respect McClay has and his understanding of what players fit what the Cowboys are trying to do.

He's been tied to the Cowboys for around 20 years so I would be surprised if he left. However, if he has any desire to be the guy to call all the shots that window isn't probably open for that many more years.

Prediction: What comes out of this is a raise and a new title that sounds like GM but not fully.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Newsflash: Jerry Jones is not cheap. Money is not an object. He pays well. I am sure he also likes McClay as a person, or he would not be there. I am sure Jerry pays all the scouts top buck.
Right. I thought I just said that too. Just as long as Jerry isn’t playing fantasy football GM again we will be ok.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Look, I don’t want to lose Dan Quinn, but he’s likely gone if he wants a HC job. Which is exactly what reliable Cowboys insiders like David Moore and Bob Sturm have reported this week. It’s not about the money for him now- it’s about being a HC again.

But losing assistant coaches is a normal occurrence when your team is winning. Over the great history of this franchise, we have lost some great assistants to head coaching jobs. Dan Reeves, Mike Ditka, Gene Stallings, Dave Wannstedt, Butch Davis, Sean Payton, just to name a few. It’s a normal occurrence when your team is winning. I expect no amount of Jerry money can keep Dan Quinn if he has the head coaching bug again.

Will McClay is the guy we can least afford to lose. The quality of drafts and player personnel improvements over the last decade is a straight line to McClay. The much improved talent level of this organization is due To McClay’s ability to scout and identify talent.

Put it this way - Without Will McClay, this organization is back to fantasy football drafts with Jerry and Giggles. Remember the “special teams draft“ of 2009? Remember the WR trades for Joey Galloway and Roy Williams?

If that gives you a sick feeling like me, we all need to pray Jerry either decides to name WIll McClay the new GM of the Cowboys or that McClay continues to want to be the man in the shadows while Jerry and Giggles get the “credit”.
Spot on, BH!

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I hear this next man up crap way too much
What was it like before McClay?
Tell me how did next man up work for the Pats when Brady left?
Exactly. This “next man up“ stuff is what you say when you have to, not when you want to…

cowboyed

Reaction score
I would think McClay would not pursue a lower position as GM with some other team when he is in executive management Valhalla alongside the Joneses. The compensation, perks and intra-company power must be intoxicating at times. I have never read any dissatisfaction McClay has had with the Cowboys. My gripe over which coach or executive stays is why this is happening before football season has ended. Why does the NFL allow these personnel solicitations and interviews go on particularly for teams playing in the post season. What's so horrible about waiting about several weeks once the Super Bowl has played out, thereby minimizing concerns and distractions. Ideally just hold off all teams for several weeks. The only exception should be coaches that are already canned. Coaches reinforce players to stay committed to their team, honor contracts and maintain work or playing focus. It's hypocritical and fulfills the old adage "do as I say but don't do as I do".

CCBoy

Reaction score

Those two really aren't naive and I don't blink or take a brow beat.

You think he really is gone and have to insult Jerry and Stephen just to make the picture straight?

CCBoy

Reaction score
Did McClay get offers last year? First time I remember reading this.
For those of you who think McClay will not get lifted... see Jerry Jones interview. Claims 15-20 requests for McClay, although not honoring all them right now. Sneaky. Approve the Panthers and Commanders. :muttley:

Jerry also commented in same interview about a story from his lobbyist days which couldn't post because it had the dreaded 'P word' but he made it pretty clear that he felt Cowboys would find someone to replace anyone who was hired.

Could be the last of the McClay days?
Frankly, the man already has a well secured job and his salary is still going up. He now wants to start gambling his career for ego of a GM?

CCBoy

Reaction score
I don't agree. If he leaves, next man up. Organizations of all types lose people. They can all be replaced. I hope he gets his opportunity, he's earned it.
No reason to worry about something we can't control.
Just my opinion.
He is already top shelf and wants to instead gamble things and longevity as a GM now? His salaries will continue raising where he is at...and probably a lot less pepto bismo as well. Stability for his family at Dallas?

conner01

Reaction score
How much do the top 3 GM's make per year...total package after bonuses and incentives?

If Jerry is willing to marginally surpass all other GM's pay for Will....would he leave?

I think there would have to be a serious issue amongst Jerry, Stephen and Will. Do you think Jerry/Stephen have over written Will's suggestions enough that Will thinks he can build a better team elsewhere? Or that Will thinks the Cowboys would be a much better team if the Jones' would have listened him on past moves?

I just dont know. Money talks. I dont think Will cares about limelight. Everyone around the league knows hes the man.
Staff salaries aren’t public or Atleast most arent

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
Remind me again what Jimmy accomplished on his own with the Dolphins. Any great drafts with Miami? Any playoff success?
You do realize that Zach Thomas and Jason Taylor are both HOFers and Jimmy turned around a team and made the playoffs with a struggling Dan Marino? In fact, those teams were already more talented than Dallas' teams by the time he retired.

Starstruck22

Reaction score

And Mazi smith and Schoonmaker busts…..really???????????