Will Smith just clocked Chris Rock on live TV

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Reminder, we do not allow political comments and discussions on this site!

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Yeah, that's what we need to start doing - slapping comedians for bad jokes. What a precedent.

There is a never ending list of people that need to be slapped. So yes, that's exactly what the world needs.

Sydla

Reaction score
I get it, but Will had a meltdown there.

The acceptance speech after was a bit much talking about the devil and how people were telling him there will be forces/people that will try to drag you down and how you are a vessel for love. LOL. No, Chris Rock made a crass joke about your wife that you laughed at awkwardly until you saw your wife's reaction. Then you snapped on TV in front of millions. That's it.

joseephuss

Reaction score
I think the incident was insincere. Not fake, but I don't think it was a genuine reaction by Will Smith. It appeared to me as if he was having to manufacture that reaction, perhaps overcompensating for his real feelings. Kind of like when Wade Phillips would try to be stern with the team. It wasn't fake, but there was no sincerity behind the guy that ran Camp Cupcake.

What is a tasteless joke? Seems that it is only tasteless if someone take it that way. There is no way that Chris Rock or any comic is going to know every single person's medical condition. Fortunately alopecia isn't life-threatening or painful. If Rock did indeed know about it, maybe it is a "tasteless joke", but the main thing is it was still just a joke. Is Smith going to take physical action anytime someone jokes about him or his wife going forward because I foresee a lot of jokes headed his way.

Tasteless jokes or jokes about someone's medical condition may be infuriating at times, but that type of reaction is not needed. I don't think any topic or subject is off limits as far as jokes. Doesn't mean I like all jokes or think they are all funny, but jokes are jokes.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Check out what Orlando Brown actor from " That's So Raven" thinks of Will Smith and might show you some of the cracks.

Unfortunately, that probably means Will didn’t do anything. Orlando Brown also said Will Smith and Michael Jackson are both his biological fathers, and Will Smith raped all his kids too. One of them he said is a 2 year old who isn’t born yet.

That dude is cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
On one hand you have a comedian, and one known for crossing lines, and on the other people in the spotlight and out in public. She had already mentioned earlier that she was fine with her head so what's Smith doing? Slapping another man in his wife's honor? What a joke. What man slaps another man?

Then he doubles down by yelling from his seat, to showoff his male prowess and protective instinct, twice to keep his wife's name out of his mouth? Why was he laughing after the joke and then doing something stupid?

That all looked staged the first time I saw it but I think they would have come clean by now if that was a set up.

Chris Rock handled that really well, which is what lead me to believe it was a set up. Most people are going to react to being slapped differently than that.

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I've seen enough movies and 'rasslin (WCCW) in my life to know that that was a "Hollywood" slap.

The Oscars has been losing ratings for years so I'm not suprised with this stunt. I'm just surprised at how many people bought it.

Last edited:

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
On one hand you have a comedian, and one known for crossing lines, and on the other people in the spotlight and out in public. She had already mentioned earlier that she was fine with her head so what's Smith doing? Slapping another man in his wife's honor? What a joke. What man slaps another man?

Then he doubles down by yelling from his seat, to showoff his male prowess and protective instinct, twice to keep his wife's name out of his mouth? Why was he laughing after the joke and then doing something stupid?

That all looked staged the first time I saw it but I think they would have come clean by now if that was a set up.

Chris Rock handled that really well, which is what lead me to believe it was a set up. Most people are going to react to being slapped differently than that.

I got a different impression, that this has probably happened to Chris Rock before. He’s a professional, he realizes he’s live on one of the biggest televised events of the year.

Didn’t look like he was expecting it though.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
No big deal with an obvious fake like this ....... just surprised people actually fell for it.

The Oscars producers have confirmed it was 100% real and not scripted. Multiple other celebrities were there and have talked about it. It is all over the news this morning, and the Oscar’s producers are livid.

This was not such a crazy and unheard of situation that it was obviously scripted. I see crazier things than this outside the dollar store on the bad side of town regularly.

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The Oscars producers have confirmed it was 100% real and not scripted. Multiple other celebrities were there and have talked about it. It is all over the news this morning, and the Oscar’s producers are livid.

This was not such a crazy and unheard of situation that it was obviously scripted. I see crazier things than this outside the dollar store on the bad side of town regularly.
It's gone mega-viral. The Oscars just became relevant again overnight. Why in the hell would the Producers wan't to kill that wave by admitting that it was staged?

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score

Jeebus.

Sydla

Reaction score
No big deal with an obvious fake like this ....... just surprised people actually fell for it.

When things like this are staged they don't usually involve police but the LAPD was called and actually issued a statement basically confirming it happened and that Rock didn't want to press charges. Unless you think the LAPD is part of the jig here.

My gut instinct at the time was it was staged. But the off camera reactions of people and what was caught during commercials made it look completely real. Throw in the police being called and this seems more than just an attempt at a ratings boost.

joseephuss

Reaction score
It's gone mega-viral. The Oscars just became relevant again overnight. Why in the hell would the Producers wan't to kill that wave by admitting that it was staged?

How does this relevance equal money for the parties that produce the Oscars? That is the main point for relevance. Will it increase their ad revenue a year from now. It is viral, but do all the hits contribute money to those that run the show.

Maybe if Rock had said "look forward to seeing you in Black Panther 2 as one of the new Dora Milaje" instead of the G.I. Jane 2 reference it would have gone over better. A more contemporary reference.

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
How does this relevance equal money for the parties that produce the Oscars? That is the main point for relevance. Will it increase their ad revenue a year from now. It is viral, but do all the hits contribute money to those that run the show.

Ratings don’t get turned around immediately. Long game.

Sydla

Reaction score
Ratings don’t get turned around immediately. Long game.

The flaw in this is thinking that a year from now people will say, "Gee, remember when Smith slapped Chris Rock on the Oscars? We have to watch this year now!"

The reality is what happened last night probably doesn't move the needle one way or the other in ratings going forward. It will largely be forgotten in a few months.