With each passing WR trade and free agent signing, the Amari Cooper trade becomes more absurd

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
How? This is what you said:
Minus the twist you put on it - "Big money Free agent"
All you have to do is spent a few quick minutes and you'll see the list of free agents Dallas signed that are contributing.
Bryan Anger, Noah Brown, Gallup, Armstrong, Hooker, Kearse, LVE, Fowler etc....

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I'm actually kind of shocked that he's fringe top 10 in every metric with a mid-level backup throwing him the ball. If you told me last off-season he'd be on pace for almost 1200 yards and double digit touchdowns with Jacoby freaking Brissett throwing the ball I'd say your completely out of your mind
That was never the argument though. It was our QB wasn't good enough and we couldn't survive losing Cooper. There's really no better test than playing at a high level on any team regardless of the excuses. Also, "on pace" means absolutely zero at this point.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
That's assuming Cooper would have been agreeable to a restructure. We don't know that.

And maybe it's true that Gallup plus someone they could sign or trade for would be cheaper than Cooper alone, but that's 2 receivers for the price of one.
Didn’t he restructure with the browns?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Minus the twist you put on it - "Big money Free agent"
All you have to do is spent a few quick minutes and you'll see the list of free agents Dallas signed that are contributing.
Bryan Anger, Noah Brown, Gallup, Armstrong, Hooker, Kearse, LVE, Fowler etc....

None of whom are making big money. None of whom couldn’t be here if Cooper’s contract was still in the books.

Your point fails.

Tussinman

Reaction score
That was never the argument though.
You literally quoted his projected stat line and said "not impressive" and I was simply pointing out that it was shocking/impressive to me (I didn't think he'd do that well given the shaky QB drama/situation).

. Also, "on pace" means absolutely zero at this point.
Especially since Watsons back in a few weeks so that projection will most likely increase (better arm and way more aggressive)

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
You literally quoted his projected stat line and said "not impressive" and I was simply pointing out that it was shocking/impressive to me (I didn't think he'd do that well given the shaky QB drama/situation).

Especially since Watsons back in a few weeks so that projection will most likely increase (better arm and way more aggressive)
What I meant was compared to his peers. He's a very good WR, but my fanhood stops when the player leaves.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
None of whom are making big money. None of whom couldn’t be here if Cooper’s contract was still in the books.

Your point fails.
I didn't say big money. How much cap space do we currently have?

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
The thing is, it was never going to be about business because it was about getting sideways with the owner...Trading Cooper was not absurd, if JJ was truly going to go to this ball control offense before then and having Lamb and Cooper in this offense with less balls thrown to go around...you keeping the 1st round pick on a Rookie deal or the 20 mill vet WR when you believe the Rook is capable...in theory it has merit, the way it went down is what rubs everyone wrong but again that part was not about business, it was about hurting the owners ego.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
The thing is, it was never going to be about business because it was about getting sideways with the owner...Trading Cooper was not absurd, if JJ was truly going to go to this ball control offense before then and having Lamb and Cooper in this offense with less balls thrown to go around...you keeping the 1st round pick on a Rookie deal or the 20 mill vet WR when you believe the Rook is capable...in theory it has merit, the way it went down is what rubs everyone wrong but again that part was not about business, it was about hurting the owners ego.

I would add we were going to be over the cap and had to get under the cap by March. Cooper release had as much to do with the cap situation than anything else.

Dre11

Reaction score

This is dumb, we just saw the same thing happened with Brandin Cooks, because of his Salary 18 million guaranteed. Just like Amari , nobody would trade for him. There were at least 3 or 4 team interested. The salary was the hold up. Claypool with a favorable contract went quick.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Didn’t he restructure with the browns?
Just checked. It looks like there was a restructure. It doesn't save the Browns money over the contract, but it defers about $16 million in cap hit in 2022 so that it falls in 2023 & 2024

Dre11

Reaction score
So the answer is NO then?

Chiefs get five draft picks (1st Round in 2022, 2nd Round in 2022, 4th Round in 2022, 4th Round in 2023, 6th Round in 2023).

The Raiders are sending their first two picks in the 2022 NFL Draft to the Packers in exchange for Davante Adams

Both of whom then got paid salaries that FAR EXCEEDED Amari Cooper’s contract.

So the Jones boys look like IDIOTS no matter how you slice it.

Amari is nowhere near those players ability. None of those players had a contract that was up against a deadline to become guaranteed. So it was either trade fo what you could get or release him to avoid the guarantee contract. You're comparing apples to oranges

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Amari is nowhere near those players ability. None of those players had a contract that was up against a deadline to become guaranteed. So it was either trade fo what you could get or release him to avoid the guarantee contract. You're comparing apples to oranges

And those two huge money players REQUIRED HUGE NEW CONTRACTS with FAR MORE GUARANTEED MONEY.

It clearly didn’t frighten teams off.

And Cooper had no issue reworking his deal.

https://thelandryhat.com/2022/03/21/cowboys-browns-restructuring-amari-cooper-contract/amp/

The Jones boys forced the issue and tanked his value in the process.

Some of us can accept the truth, clearly others can’t.

Dre11

Reaction score
And those two huge money players REQUIRED HUGE NEW CONTRACTS with FAR MORE GUARANTEED MONEY.

It clearly didn’t frighten teams off.

And Cooper had no issue reworking his deal.

https://thelandryhat.com/2022/03/21/cowboys-browns-restructuring-amari-cooper-contract/amp/

The Jones boys forced the issue and tanked his value in the process.

Some of us can accept the truth, clearly others can’t.

Those two are top 5 players. Of course nobody was frightened. ...lol

Yeah they forced the issue. THEY DIDN'T WANT TO PAY HIM A GUARANTEE 20 MILLION DOLLAR CONTRACT. WHEN THEY FELT LAMB WAS READY FOR THAT SPOT. I don't know what's so hard about that. They also held on to him until the last freaking day before his contract became guaranteed

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Those two are top 5 players. Of course nobody was frightened. ...lol

And Cooper was top 10. But make sure to try to minimize him because he’s not on ‘your favorite team’ anymore. Standard procedure with some fans.

Yeah they forced the issue. THEY DIDN'T WANT TO PAY HIM A GUARANTEE 20 MILLION DOLLAR CONTRACT. WHEN THEY FELT LAMB WAS READY FOR THAT SPOT. I don't know what's so hard about that.

Other than being wrong? Nothing.

They also held on to him until the last freaking day before his contract became guaranteed

And undercut their own trade market weeks before because they can’t keep their mouths shut.

I don’t know what’s so hard for people to understand about that? Unless they simply can’t handle the truth?

AbeBeta

Reaction score
It literally does excuse it.

They had higher offers and would have to eat his cap. Taking his whole contract off the books means a lower pick. I don’t know why people don’t comprehend this

Ding ding ding!

It is like people just have no idea what the terms of various trades are.

Just look at the Quinn deal. Chicago got a 4th. Why a 4th? Because they were willing to pay the remaining 8 million of his salary this year.

You just aren't getting a big haul for a guy with a big contacts automatically.

_sturt_

Reaction score
https://fansided.com/2022/03/01/stephen-jones-amari-coopers-exit/amp/

Stephen’s comments two weeks before:

https://fansided.com/2022/03/01/stephen-jones-amari-coopers-exit/amp/

You can put your head in the sand when presented with inconvenient truths but that doesn’t mean the rest of us share your willful ignorance.

You're a smart guy.

Your only failure in this exchange is to think you're the only smart guy in the conversation.

It's not as-if it's hard to see why you went for the link instead of just posting Stephen's comment verbatim.

Let's review... I stood/stand by my statement... there were RUMORS... there were no PRIMARY SOURCE STATEMENTS.

And you bring what, as-if to debunk that?

“It’s too early for me to address that yet. I mean, we’re continuing to have conversations.”

Okay. More proof that sometimes it's better to just back down and be intellectually humble rather than try to slide by as-if you were "right" all along. Stephen said what Stephen said. Nothing more. Interpretations are fine, but like they say back home, don't pee on my leg and claim that's proof it's raining. Your blogger friend made an interpretation, giving volume to a rumor. That's fine. What Stephen said is a primary source statement. What the blogger said about Stephen's statement is not.

Dre11

Reaction score
And Cooper was top 10. But make sure to try to minimize him because he’s not on ‘your favorite team’ anymore. Standard procedure with some fans.

Other than being wrong? Nothing.

And undercut their own trade market weeks before because they can’t keep their mouths shut.

I don’t know what’s so hard for people to understand about that? Unless they simply can’t handle the truth?

Oh now he was top 10, all I heard was how he doesn't show up on the road. How he had bad body language, but now yall want to make him top 10 to push a narrative. He didnt even make the nfl top 20 list.

On them being wrong, ceedee stats are on par or better than Cooper's ...lol Ceedee has more yards, catches, and 2 less tds.

When couldn't they keep their mouth shut? Another false statement, they never said what they were doing with Cooper, Stephen always said he wasn't talking contract he said it would be hard to keep both him and Gallup on big contracts, with Gallup being hurt nobody knew which one was going to be here. They never said which one they were keeping.