Witten might be at the end of his rope

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Before anyone states that I'm hating on Witten, I'm not. While I don't think he will get into the HoF easily, he is one of my all time favorite Cowboys. So while I know this isn't going to be a popular opinion, I think objectively there is no other argument to be made.

One thing you have to look at though, is his cap hit for next year. Is Witten actually worth more than Murray in a more running based offense?

We have two tight ends in Hanna and Escobar that can step up here given the opportunity, and I think the drop off would be smaller than Murray to Randle.

A lot of us have pointed out that we don't want to pay a lot for a running back, but why are we so willing to pay a tight end who doesn't really match up with his peers in terms of scoring productivity. We were all so quick to push Bennett out of Dallas, and this year Bennett might be the better of the two tight ends. He just never got a chance here in Dallas.

8.5 million dollars for a tight end that doesn't score touchdowns. I think that is money that can be better spent.

So I would say the front office should approach Witten for a reduction in pay, again not because he isn't a good player anymore, but because the amount of money doesn't make sense. He isn't going to get paid 8+ million in free agency, and I think his agent would recognize that. I think he would be lucky to get 4 million a year in free agency.

My favorite player on the team is actually Romo, and I think he should take a pay cut next year too, to get that ring. Next year might be the best chance this team has to win a super bowl. If you see veterans like Romo and Witten who are nearing the end of their careers drop their compensation, we can really do something on defense next year. A combination of a draft focused almost entirely on defense with some additional spending capacity for defensive free agents... I could easily see this team being the best in the NFL.

The reason I brought this up is mainly because many people (myself included for the most part) don't believe in paying Murray a lot of money, but then I thought at the same time, why are we okay with how much money is going towards Witten? Murray represents a much larger portion of our offense than Witten, and while his success might be more related to our offensive line, I'd worry about a drop off to Randle or even Williams compared to the drop off from Witten to Escobar/Hanna.

So your reason to not keep Witten is that he has not scored TDs theis season. You in no way have demonstrated that we have to cut Witten to keep Murray.

How about we cut Carr, Melton, Bernadeau, or other guys with marginal contributions compared to their 2015 salaries, restructure intelligently with Smith or the like, keep our own guys we have developed as best we can and build through the draft?

I guess it's fun to pretend the choice is Witten or Murray but it's a false choice as there are choices A, B, C, D, etc.

Oh and the NFL is getting another 1b a year from directTV with the new deal. About half that goes the the league salary cap and the cap price controls are now gone 3+ years post CBA signing.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
So your reason to not keep Witten is that he has not scored TDs theis season. You in no way have demonstrated that we have to cut Witten to keep Murray.

How about we cut Carr, Melton, Bernadeau, or other guys with marginal contributions compared to their 2015 salaries, restructure intelligently with Smith or the like, keep our own guys we have developed as best we can and build through the draft?

I guess it's fun to pretend the choice is Witten or Murray but it's a false choice as there are choices A, B, C, D, etc.

Oh and the NFL is getting another 1b a year from directTV with the new deal. About half that goes the the league salary cap and the cap price controls are now gone 3+ years post CBA signing.

First you came to that conclusion on your own, that's not what I said. I said Witten's productivity doesn't warrant an 8 million dollar cap hit, when we have two capable tight ends behind him.

I'm all for cutting Carr. I want to give Melton more time. Bernadeau depends on his contract.

But if you want to resign Dez, and Murray, and field a worthwhile defense, you're going to have to start cutting the fat.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
OP is just dumb. No chance that they cut Witten...he is almost guaranteed to be here one more year. He had a great catch up the seam and is Romo's security blanket. You can't just replace that. In 2016 they may try lowering his base salary.

fifaguy

Reaction score
I think Witten read this before the game. He played phenomenal today.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
I don't think Witten is at the end of his ropes. He'll hang it up when Romo retires. He still gets open quite a bit for a guy who has lost a step or two. He still commands respect especially on 3rd downs. His replacement is already on the roster so when he retires we won't skip a bit supposedly.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
First you came to that conclusion on your own, that's not what I said. I said Witten's productivity doesn't warrant an 8 million dollar cap hit, when we have two capable tight ends behind him.

I'm all for cutting Carr. I want to give Melton more time. Bernadeau depends on his contract.

But if you want to resign Dez, and Murray, and field a worthwhile defense, you're going to have to start cutting the fat.

You have given no accounting justifying that last statement. It's really just a generalization that you assume is true which is typical with people that refer to the salary cap. Accounting is done using numbers and not emotional characterizations like 'fat.'

Bernadeau's contract is what it is and the only thing you have mentioned about Witten is his TDs this year. If you want to make comments on his production you might want to talk about how the rest of the TE in the league are doing and have done in recent history.

Nevermind that Witten's blocking on the edge and pulling has been instrumental to our running games success.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I'll say it again, the decision number is 5.1M. June 1st is not significant, it just changes when money hits the cap, but it doesn't change the overall amount when you add all years together.

Teams manage the cap on a multiple year basis. If you add all future years cap numbers together, then the number is 5.1M more if Witten is on the team in 2015 as compared to him not being on the team in 2015. All other numbers and June 1st references just cloud the issue.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
You have given no accounting justifying that last statement. It's really just a generalization that you assume is true which is typical with people that refer to the salary cap. Accounting is done using numbers and not emotional characterizations like 'fat.'

Bernadeau's contract is what it is and the only thing you have mentioned about Witten is his TDs this year. If you want to make comments on his production you might want to talk about how the rest of the TE in the league are doing and have done in recent history.

Nevermind that Witten's blocking on the edge and pulling has been instrumental to our running games success.

I thought it spoke for itself... How much do you think it'll cost to keep Dez and DeMarco? Now throw in McClain... we're already pushing it. We wouldn't have much opportunity to be active in free agency, which I think this defense will need.

Witten is down in both yards, receptions, and touchdowns have always been a problem for him. My main point is many people don't want to give Murray more than 6 million a year, yet we're paying Witten 8 million, and I think Witten is a much less productive player than Murray, and a player who has suitable replacements already on the team.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
I'll say it again, the decision number is 5.1M. June 1st is not significant, it just changes when money hits the cap, but it doesn't change the overall amount when you add all years together.

Teams manage the cap on a multiple year basis. If you add all future years cap numbers together, then the number is 5.1M more if Witten is on the team in 2015 as compared to him not being on the team in 2015. All other numbers and June 1st references just cloud the issue.

You say cloud the issue because you don't see it as relevant, it's very relevant given that money is one extra player on defense who can help this team not just in 2015, but for the long haul.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Before anyone states that I'm hating on Witten, I'm not. While I don't think he will get into the HoF easily, he is one of my all time favorite Cowboys. So while I know this isn't going to be a popular opinion, I think objectively there is no other argument to be made.

One thing you have to look at though, is his cap hit for next year. Is Witten actually worth more than Murray in a more running based offense?

We have two tight ends in Hanna and Escobar that can step up here given the opportunity, and I think the drop off would be smaller than Murray to Randle.

A lot of us have pointed out that we don't want to pay a lot for a running back, but why are we so willing to pay a tight end who doesn't really match up with his peers in terms of scoring productivity. We were all so quick to push Bennett out of Dallas, and this year Bennett might be the better of the two tight ends. He just never got a chance here in Dallas.

8.5 million dollars for a tight end that doesn't score touchdowns. I think that is money that can be better spent.

So I would say the front office should approach Witten for a reduction in pay, again not because he isn't a good player anymore, but because the amount of money doesn't make sense. He isn't going to get paid 8+ million in free agency, and I think his agent would recognize that. I think he would be lucky to get 4 million a year in free agency.

My favorite player on the team is actually Romo, and I think he should take a pay cut next year too, to get that ring. Next year might be the best chance this team has to win a super bowl. If you see veterans like Romo and Witten who are nearing the end of their careers drop their compensation, we can really do something on defense next year. A combination of a draft focused almost entirely on defense with some additional spending capacity for defensive free agents... I could easily see this team being the best in the NFL.

The reason I brought this up is mainly because many people (myself included for the most part) don't believe in paying Murray a lot of money, but then I thought at the same time, why are we okay with how much money is going towards Witten? Murray represents a much larger portion of our offense than Witten, and while his success might be more related to our offensive line, I'd worry about a drop off to Randle or even Williams compared to the drop off from Witten to Escobar/Hanna.

lol, speechless

dstovall5

Reaction score
Y'all are crazy, just enjoy the win today, geeez. We're 4-1 now! :starspin::starspin::starspin::starspin::starspin::starspin::starspin::starspin::starspin::starspin::starspin::starspin::starspin::starspin:

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I thought it spoke for itself... How much do you think it'll cost to keep Dez and DeMarco? Now throw in McClain... we're already pushing it. We wouldn't have much opportunity to be active in free agency, which I think this defense will need.

Witten is down in both yards, receptions, and touchdowns have always been a problem for him. My main point is many people don't want to give Murray more than 6 million a year, yet we're paying Witten 8 million, and I think Witten is a much less productive player than Murray, and a player who has suitable replacements already on the team.

The answer to your question is in the form of a number not an assumption of a conclusion. Relative to the other TE in the league, Witten's contract is modest.

You should try to be more myopic. this reads like a half-assed fantasy evaluation. You just aren't on the level and this is a waste of time.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
The answer to your question is in the form of a number not an assumption of a conclusion. Relative to the other TE in the league, Witten's contract is modest.

You should try to be more myopic. this reads like a half-assed fantasy evaluation. You just aren't on the level and this is a waste of time.

Wrong again, he is the 3rd highest paid tight end in the league...

You can ignore reality and pass it off as irrelevant, but nothing changes the fact that we're paying entirely too much for Witten, and that will cost us next year and the year after it, when we have two suitable replacements already on the team.

Pabst

Reaction score
Witt ain't going anywhere. He's Romo's best friend on and off the field. They may ask him to take reduced salary, but there's no way he gets cut so long as Romo is under center.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Wrong again, he is the 3rd highest paid tight end in the league...

You can ignore reality and pass it off as irrelevant, but nothing changes the fact that we're paying entirely too much for Witten, and that will cost us next year and the year after it, when we have two suitable replacements already on the team.

Who's names I didn't hear once today.