Witten might be at the end of his rope

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
The same people said the same thing when I said Ware would be cut.

I didn't. I remember starting a thread immediately after last season stating that it was a tough decision that needed to be made.

When Witten is hurt and playing as a shell of himself for two years running you let me know.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Your argument would carry a lot of weight except

a) I think Melton has the potential to be worth a lot more than Witten

b) we dont have the depth in place to replace Melton

Crawford, Coleman, Bishop, McClain, Brent, and the draft say hello. You are the one saying you wanted to draft defense. We have 3 top 100 picks next year and free agency.

If you pick up Melton's contract with what he has given to this point then you are a fool.

How much you want to bet Witten makes it to the pro bowl this year?

Verdict

Reaction score
Witten is not worth 8 million per year. I do 't think he is as good as he has been and is still tapering off. I am ok with him sticking around but with a much lower cap number. I would rather keep Murray than Witten. I would also rather pay a JJ Watt type over Witten. Good player but misallocation of cap resources.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
I didn't. I remember starting a thread immediately after last season stating that it was a tough decision that needed to be made.

When Witten is hurt and playing as a shell of himself for two years running you let me know.

It's not just about being hurt, it's about opportunity cost.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Crawford, Coleman, Bishop, McClain, Brent, and the draft say hello. You are the one saying you wanted to draft defense. We have 3 top 100 picks next year and free agency.

If you pick up Melton's contract with what he has given to this point then you are a fool.

How much you want to bet Witten makes it to the pro bowl this year?

I wouldn't pick up Melton's contract right now, but he has 11 games+the playoffs if we make it to change my mind.

dragon_mikal

Fire Garrett
Reaction score
Witten is not worth 8 million per year. I do 't think he is as good as he has been and is still tapering off. I am ok with him sticking around but with a much lower cap number. I would rather keep Murray than Witten. I would also rather pay a JJ Watt type over Witten. Good player but misallocation of cap resources.

Witten is still playing at a high level and is the best all around TE in the league at 32.

It's easy to say cut him but who replaces not only his production but his blocking ability?

And really? You'd like to pay a Watt type over Witten? Who wouldn't? A Watt type would be one of the best defensive players in the league. These guys don't fall off trees so point that available player out...

Witten is a machine and this is a pretty silly thread IMHO.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The decision to move on doesn't exist within a bubble of 2015...

A team is going to evaluate what a player brings to the team that season. They're not going to cut Witten in 2015 because of his 2016 or 2017 salaries. They're not going to cut him in 2015 based on his projected lack of ability in 2016 or 2017. If they were going to cut him in 2015, it would be because of his 2015 salary and his projected ability in 2015.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
You can't just look at dollars.

Yes, he is an $8m CAP hit. We know the cap can be manipulated. If we cut him next year, he still costs $5.2m plus the cost of bringing someone in that is going to be a comparable player. Do you think that is Hanna? Escobar? They both have a long way to go to provide what Witten does in play and in leadership. Make him a June 1st cut and he still costs 3.4m in dead money this year and almost $2m the following year. Probably will consider restructuring him at some point.

And don't act like you are some genius about Ware....people were talking about that 2 years ago. Hardly any big news there.

dragon_mikal

Fire Garrett
Reaction score
It's not about wear.

No it was about Jerry putting the Cowboys in a corner by paying players huge salaries when they hadn't earned it. Ware would still be here otherwise.

Witten has earned his pay and as long as he is moving the chains and is a strong presence in the run game he should remain on the roster. You want to argue that maybe he should take a pay cut...fine. But it is pretty silly to make a thread about cutting a contributor of a 4-1 football team that has bigger problems than how much their future HoF TE is making.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
It's not just about being hurt, it's about opportunity cost.

Thank you for stating the obvious. You certainly have a penchant of making assertions and not giving supporting arguments.

You fall short of making a comprehensive cost benefit analysis as you ignore 50 or so people under contract. But by all means continue parroting the initial assertion and wave your hands at Witten some more.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The same people said the same thing when I said Ware would be cut.

Ware's salary for 2014 was going to be over 12M and he played the lowest number of snaps in his career in 2013.

Witten's 2015 salary is 5.1M and he is playing 100% of the offensive snaps.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Ware's salary for 2014 was going to be over 12M and he played the lowest number of snaps in his career in 2013.

Witten's 2015 salary is 5.1M and he is playing 100% of the offensive snaps.

Ware was a lot more important to this defense than Witten is to the offense...