Witten might be at the end of his rope

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Thank you for stating the obvious. You certainly have a penchant of making assertions and not giving supporting arguments.

You fall short of making a comprehensive cost benefit analysis as you ignore 50 or so people under contract. But by all means continue parroting the initial assertion and wave your hands at Witten some more.

That's what happens when you ignoring supporting arguments. I haven't ignored anyone. Many people here know that I want Carr cut, and probably want Romo to take a paycut.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
It's great that YOU want it. It's obvious however that you ONLY look at the player's cost without consideration of any the player's performance, what intangibles he brings and the effective cost of replacing him. It isn't usually just the simple task of putting a rookie into the place and get the same performance. You are NOT going to get Witten's savvy as a pass catcher, his blocking ability as a TE, his leadership and what he means to the QB simply by putting another body in there.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ware was a lot more important to this defense than Witten is to the offense...

In 2013 that's debatable. Also, the probability of Ware staying healthy in 2014 was a big consideration. Witten has a higher probability of staying healthy than Ware did.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
A team is going to evaluate what a player brings to the team that season. They're not going to cut Witten in 2015 because of his 2016 or 2017 salaries. They're not going to cut him in 2015 based on his projected lack of ability in 2016 or 2017. If they were going to cut him in 2015, it would be because of his 2015 salary and his projected ability in 2015.

That's actually exactly what they'll do...

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
That's what happens when you ignoring supporting arguments. I haven't ignored anyone. Many people here know that I want Carr cut, and probably want Romo to take a paycut.

You have not considered replacing Witten's roster spot nor have you evaluated the multitude of other ways we could find cap space to free up money. Just because you 'want' it does not mean that you have evaluated that in context of the cap and roster. This is what I mean when I say you are not on the level. You seem oblivious to the concept.

Verdict

Reaction score
Witten is still playing at a high level and is the best all around TE in the league at 32.

It's easy to say cut him but who replaces not only his production but his blocking ability?

And really? You'd like to pay a Watt type over Witten? Who wouldn't? A Watt type would be one of the best defensive players in the league. These guys don't fall off trees so point that available player out...

Witten is a machine and this is a pretty silly thread IMHO.

If you think that Witten is the best tight end in the game, I really don't know what to tell you ... and I am a Witten fan. I'm sorry but you need to take off the rose colored glasses.

dragon_mikal

Fire Garrett
Reaction score
If you think that Witten is the best tight end in the game, I really don't know what to tell you ... and I am a Witten fan. I'm sorry but you need to take off the rose colored glasses.

I said best all around TE. Please provide a name of a TE that does everything as good as Witten? There's more to the position than making highlight catches and dunking the goalpost.

Maybe you should actually pay attention to his play instead of focusing on ESPN's top ten?

landroverking

Reaction score

Witten is in the top five for sure and has been for years. As for Bennett he is now and always has been a head case.

rags747

Reaction score
Witten will get cash upfront and restructure, would be very surprised if Witt goes anywhere. He can still get down the seam as proven just this past Sunday, we just don't use those routes enough. Escobar should be a terror down the seam as well...always takes us a long time to get people involved unfortunately.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
I wouldn't be worried about either drop-off.

I think you're selling Witten's productivity in the current offense dramatically short. At the same time, he probably will be getting overpaid a fair amount this year and next. I'm in favor of overpaying him a little bit because of what he has meant to the organization, but he is a player whose replacement is already on the roster. Which stinks for us who are big fans of Jason's game.

I'm too lazy to compare Bennett's contribution to Jason's. But I will say that it's taken way too long for that loudmouth to develop into an actual player, and that I'm just really glad we didn't take that thrill ride through Planet Jupiter any longer than we actually did.

hell, his catch down the middle helped turn the game in our favour on Sunday. Witten was very good I thought.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
hell, his catch down the middle helped turn the game in our favour on Sunday. Witten was very good I thought.

He's just money. And he's going to play at dang near this level until he's done playing due to a back injury or whatever it is that ultimately catches up with him. Just steady and smart and tough and not particularly athletic. That's a recipe for NFL longevity.

At some point this season, it's going to occur to our beloved Dallas media to talk to Coach Pope about the TE group here, and we're going to get a ton of great quotes about Jason Witten and the kind of player he is and the kind of effort he puts into the season. It'll be a great read.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
I'm stunned you wood say Witten would not get into the HOF easily.
It is never easy, but this is Witten, not some walk-on who became a journeyman. If witten half problems getting into the HOF, then a lot of NFL mens who we think is stars will not get in.

Just say no to drugs.