WNBA fans?

kristie

Reaction score
i've been a fan of this league since it started in 1997. it starts up on june 3. does anyone here like the WNBA? if so, who are your favorite teams?

PS: can someone move this to the sports zone please? i screwed up.

Phoenix

Reaction score
Oooh. Tough one. I'm a HUGE sports guy, watch almost everything, love most sports...gosh, I was glued to college women's softball the past few weekends and will be again next weekend I'm sure...but...

WNBA....?

ouch.

Even I can't get in to that. And I watch professional women's bowling (went to school with Cathy and Carolyn Doryn at WTSU don'tcha know :D )

laythewood28

Reaction score
Haven't really watched since Cynthia Cooper retired. I might give it one more try to see what Mya Moore does.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Sorry - I just cannot bear to watch women's basketball. I'll watch any other women's sport, but not basketball.

Temo

Reaction score
I'm such a basketball junkie, I'll watch some women's games in the summer to get my fix.

That said, Maya Moore looks like she inject the first real life into the league. She's the first women's player I've ever seen that I said "she might be able to start for a men's NIT championship team."

burmafrd

Reaction score
watch more WNBA now than NBA. The NBA is so selfish and everything that I cannot stand it anymore. There is no one I root for anymore. I was spoiled by the Magic/Bird years.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
Go Stars Go........thank goodness Dan Hughes is back on the sidelines....those two coaching clowns from last year are gone...

Look for Becky and Sophia to have big years. I honestly feel the Stars will compete for the best record in the league. Hughes is simply that good of a coach.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Women's basketball is a prime example that just because you CAN do something doesnt mean that you SHOULD. Women are great at a lot of sports. Tennis, skating, gymnastics, softball, etc. Basketball is not one of them however, it was simply not designed with women in mind. It requires you do things that very few women can naturally do, and what you get is just a jumbled mess of turnovers and missed jumpers with the occasional dunk every other decade. Only three or four players in the history of women's basketball could even be a bench warmer on any college men's team at any level. A good 5A men's high school team would run the WNBA champs out of the building and I'm not entirely sure they would ever get the ball across half court if the men pressed the whole game.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
The30YardSlant;3953153 said:
Women are great at a lot of sports. Tennis, skating, gymnastics, softball, etc. Basketball is not one of them however

Cynthia Cooper and Sheryl Swoopes disagree.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
zrinkill;3953176 said:
Cynthia Cooper and Sheryl Swoopes disagree.

Even in their prime, neither would have made a men's D-1 roster, let alone an NBA roster. Plenty of women's tennis players could compete and hold their own against men.

I'll give you an example: Texas A&M's women's team just won the national title. They were the best college team in the country with a first and a second team all-american. Women's teams usually have male practice players that they go against to try and get better, and I have a buddy who is one of those guys. He played high school ball with me (I was a senior when he was a freshman), and both of us were average athletes who started at some point in high school and averaged very modest numbers. We were both average varsity high school players, and my friend could EASILY be a starter for the best team in women's college basketball. I've watched their practices, and the guys have to be told to hold back so the practice can be effective and not just a bunch of steals, blocks and missed jumpers. You could win an NCAA Title with the 8 male practice players they use and win every game by double digits.

"Great" women's players look great because they play against other women.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
The30YardSlant;3953183 said:
Even in their prime, neither would have made a men's D-1 roster, let alone an NBA roster.

Of course not ..... But that does not mean they cannot play.

You mentioned tennis, track, and softball as things they can excel at ..... But they could not Beat the men in those things either.

WNBA was good its first few years in the league ..... then got watered down with to many teams and just average female Ball players.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I'll watch LPGA now days and mostly because they are very good and many are sexy looking. :laugh2:

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
zrinkill;3953190 said:
You mentioned tennis, track, and softball as things they can excel at ..... But they could not Beat the men in those things either.

1: Billy Jean King

2: It's not that they could consistently beat the best men in the world, but they could easily beat average men and compete against very good men in those sports. A great women's tennis player could make a living in men's professional tennis, she would be competative. The best women's basketball players ever would not be competative with even average men's players. Basketball is almost entirely athleticism and there is very little learnable art and skill outside of jumpshooting, which women are too short to do against men anyway.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
The30YardSlant;3953195 said:
1: Billy Jean King

You believe that was anything But a set up?

:lmao2:

But yes I believe Cynthia Cooper or Swoops could have Beaten an average 56 year old NBA player when they were in their prime.

Stautner

Reaction score
I never started watching, although I have no doubt I would enjoy it if I did. I have found that in watching live high school and college games that I enjoy watching a good women's team more than a men's team because it is still about fundamental, work for the best shot kind of baseketball. The men's game is getting more and more focused on individual play and one on one moves. It's also pretty amazing how far women have come.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
zrinkill;3953200 said:

:lmao2:

But yes I believe Cynthia Cooper or Swoops could have Beaten an average 56 year old NBA player when they were in their prime.

It's not inconceivable that she really did beat him. He was no spring chicken when the match took place, and as we later discovered, she's kind of a man herself.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
bbgun;3953211 said:
It's not inconceivable that she really did beat him. He was no spring chicken when the match took place, and as we later discovered, she's kind of a man herself.

That is what I meant ..... she was 30 (at the top of her game) and narrowly beat a 56 year old man.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
zrinkill;3953200 said:

I don't believe it was rigged if that's what you're implying

Maybe