WNBA fans?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
bbgun;3953211 said:
It's not inconceivable that she really did beat him. He was no spring chicken when the match took place, and as we later discovered, she's kind of a man herself.

When she beat Bobby Riggs? Come on that was nothing but a publicity stunt. Riggs was a big mouth male chauvinist in a time when women’s rights were a big issue and the event helped advance their cause.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Doomsday101;3953315 said:
When she beat Bobby Riggs? Come on that was nothing but a publicity stunt. Riggs was a big mouth male chauvinist in a time when women’s rights were a big issue and the event helped advance their cause.

Yea in actuality Riggs and King were very close.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
zrinkill;3953316 said:
Yea in actuality Riggs and King were very close.

Don't get me wrong King was great for woman tennis and women sports in general I admire her. However women vs men in sports no contest men will dominate.

locked&loaded

Reaction score
watch

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
kristie;3953368 said:
BTW she's making a comeback this season with the tulsa shock.

Way past her prime ...... like Jordon with the wizards.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Doomsday101;3953323 said:
Don't get me wrong King was great for woman tennis and women sports in general I admire her. However women vs men in sports no contest men will dominate.

Never argued that fact ....... but does not mean that women are not good at those sports ...... Men just have a much higher ceiling when it comes to strength and speed.

burmafrd

Reaction score
The30YardSlant;3953195 said:
1: Billy Jean King

2: It's not that they could consistently beat the best men in the world, but they could easily beat average men and compete against very good men in those sports. A great women's tennis player could make a living in men's professional tennis, she would be competative. The best women's basketball players ever would not be competative with even average men's players. Basketball is almost entirely athleticism and there is very little learnable art and skill outside of jumpshooting, which women are too short to do against men anyway.

For the last 25 years of his life John Wooden said the only basketball he liked to watch was womens college or pro basketball.

Somehow you think what the NBA does now is basketball. I call it frankly the jump and show off league. Nothing else.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
zrinkill;3953484 said:
Never argued that fact ....... but does not mean that women are not good at those sports ...... Men just have a much higher ceiling when it comes to strength and speed.

Of course not, there are some very talented women in sports and while as a fan I may not watch women’s basketball I do enjoy women’s golf and not just because there are some cute ones out there. Fact is as a person who loves playing golf I have learned more from the ladies than the men in terms of tempo of the golf swing

Temo

Reaction score
burmafrd;3953523 said:
For the last 25 years of his life John Wooden said the only basketball he liked to watch was womens college or pro basketball.

Somehow you think what the NBA does now is basketball. I call it frankly the jump and show off league. Nothing else.

Please. NBA basketball is the best ball in the world.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
burmafrd;3953523 said:

I've seen you say that before. You got a link? I think I asked for it before too, but you couldn't provide it.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
zrinkill;3953887 said:
I do not know if he only watched woman's basketball .... but he did say this

http://www.aolnews.com/2010/06/10/woodens-thoughts-on-womens-beautiful-game-an-inspiration-to/

With all due respect to John Wooden, the stats do not support his opinion. At all. In fact, they do just the opposite.

At every level of competition (HS, college and pro) women commit FAR more turnovers than men, shoot a lower % from the field and the FT line, commit more fouls and have fewer assists.

People ALWAYS try and argue that women are somehow more "fundamental" than men because they have to be to make up for their lack of athleticism, but it's simply not the case. It's a myth started and perpetuated by those trying to validate the sport's existence. There is literally zero data to support the idea.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Can't get enough of it. Huge horse racing fan, here.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
zrinkill;3953887 said:
I do not know if he only watched woman's basketball .... but he did say this

http://www.aolnews.com/2010/06/10/woodens-thoughts-on-womens-beautiful-game-an-inspiration-to/
Yeah that's not even close to what burm said.

The30YardSlant;3953928 said:
With all due respect to John Wooden, the stats do not support his opinion. At all. In fact, they do just the opposite.

At every level of competition (HS, college and pro) women commit FAR more turnovers than men, shoot a lower % from the field and the FT line, commit more fouls and have fewer assists.

People ALWAYS try and argue that women are somehow more "fundamental" than men because they have to be to make up for their lack of athleticism, but it's simply not the case. It's a myth started and perpetuated by those trying to validate the sport's existence. There is literally zero data to support the idea.
I don't see how anyone can claim women's basketball is better fundamentally when even a layup can be an adventure. Ask Xavier's women's team.

Stautner

Reaction score
peplaw06;3954095 said:
I don't see how anyone can claim women's basketball is better fundamentally when even a layup can be an adventure. Ask Xavier's women's team.
You see missed dunks in the NBA - crap happens. There really isn't much question the girls play a more fundamental form of team basketball than the one-on-one idividual play style that dominates the NBA and even much of men's college basketball these days.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Stautner;3954137 said:
You see missed dunks in the NBA - crap happens. There really isn't much question the girls play a more fundamental form of team basketball than the one-on-one idividual play style that dominates the NBA and even much of men's college basketball these days.

Much like the Celtic when Bird was on the team. :laugh2: