WNBA fans?

Temo

Reaction score
"Caught up in the dunks and flash"? Again, dunks are efficient. They ARE GOOD basketball.

I challenge you to watch a Heat playoff game, watch how they move without the ball and precision of their plays and find me an equivalent anywhere in the world.

Look at the precision of movement on this play, the number of screens and picks and the confusion they create defensively:
[youtube]6HdUKHmggLo[/youtube]

And look at LeBron's movement to the rim on this play, and Wade's awareness and quick decision making to make that tough pass:
[youtube]zDgxi-2VWhs[/youtube]

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I ref both girls and boys games...

Boys do play a more entertaining game. I attribute that to them starting at an earlier age. I've called games for lil boys as young as 8,9,10.

Alot of the girls don't even pick up a ball until they're in the 7th grade. For a ref, those games are brutal. We pretty much use those games for training and to work on our mechanics.

The games I've called, the boys go to the hoop more, but many of the highly athletic kids can't shoot worth a lick. They make some crazy ridiculous above the rim shots, but shoot bricks all day.

Girls can shoot more consistently, but many are not as good at ball handling...

In general, boys, girls.. men, women just play a different style of play. I can watch and enjoy both.

As for the WNBA, I don't really watch, because I never know when a game comes on. Plus, I hate that they disbanded the Comets. That pretty much killed it for me.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Stautner;3954807 said:
This is bordering on ridiculous now.
Yeah it is.

Your Wrong? Now there's a quality argument.
It's all I need. You have no idea who focuses on what more, unless you've been to thousands of practices at all levels all over the world. I somehow doubt that you have.

I ask you to go see a women's game and you will see how they play and yuor response is "prove it"? That doesn't even make sense. The way to "prove it" is for you to go to a women's game. Or are you asking me to come by your house and pick you up and take you to the game - is that it?
No my "prove it" response was to your claim that you're not going to have as many turnovers, etc. Again, I somehow doubt that's the case... so I ask you to prove it.

And you ask "what qualifies as a quality women's team"? Is that a real question? It's the same as what qualifies as a quality team in any sport - a team that is successful at what they do. Obviously with any sport and regardless of gender you aren't going to see much from watching the bottom of the barrel teams.
Yeah I want to know, and yes it's a real question. Cause I don't want you weaseling out of this when I prove you wrong. I somehow doubt you would ever admit it though.

And, of course the best players are those that have crazy athleticism and have the best fundamentals. I have no idea what point you thought you made by saying that.
This really isn't as hard as you make it seem...

And so what if women's basketball isn't entertaining to you - that says nothing about fundamentals, so again I have no idea what point you thought you made.
My point is I'm not going to spend my money and drive to wherever you feel like there's a quality women's basketball team to prove you wrong. Do I have to spell out every point I make? Lemme guess, you never played connect the dots?

My guess is yu just really haven't watched women's basektball enough to know, and particularly haven't watched it live - likely a typical fan that really doesn't know the nuances of the game and the fundamentals of team play and get caught up in the dunks and flash of the men's game.
:laugh2:

I'm sure you have watched hundreds of high-level women's and men's games live.

Temo

Reaction score
WG, I admit I don't know how girls are taught, but for boys, for most competitive leagues, they teach you ball handling and off-the-ball movement first, and shooting technique is not really taught as much until high school.

It's frequently explained that your shot mechanics change as you grow older and your body matures, but ball handling and spacing drills stay with you for a lifetime. I have a little cousin who is really showing talent in basketball at a very young age, and this is the way I teach him the game. We work on shooting maybe 10% of the time we're on the court, with most offensive instruction focusing on ball handling and playing with his left (non-dominant) hand.

He bricks a ton of shots right now, but I know when he gets his "man strength", none of the shooting work he does now will matter then.

To be fair, I should note that in Europe they teach a more comprehensive-all facets approach from a very young age, which is frequently brought up as the reason why so many Euro bigs have such fluid shots. I have my doubts, but there's that viewpoint.

Stautner

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;3954830 said:
I ref both girls and boys games...

Boys do play a more entertaining game. I attribute that to them starting at an earlier age. I've called games for lil boys as young as 8,9,10.

Alot of the girls don't even pick up a ball until they're in the 7th grade. For a ref, those games are brutal. We pretty much use those games for training and to work on our mechanics.

The games I've called, the boys go to the hoop more, but many of the highly athletic kids can't shoot worth a lick. They make some crazy ridiculous above the rim shots, but shoot bricks all day.

Girls can shoot more consistently, but many are not as good at ball handling...

In general, boys, girls.. men, women just play a different style of play. I can watch and enjoy both.

As for the WNBA, I don't really watch, because I never know when a game comes on. Plus, I hate that they disbanded the Comets. That pretty much killed it for me.

This is pretty much what I'm saying. The boys typically play a faster paced style that is more focused on athleticism, and the girls typically play a more deliberate style that is focused more on fundamentals and long established basketball principles. Doesn't mean the girls are better - the difference in athleticism would never allow the girls to compete with men, but they do play a style that is more dependent on basketball fundamentals for success.

That said, the girls do have some pretty amazinig physical skills these days. The no look passes and dribbling skills and jumping ability and quickness are dramatically more advanced than even 10-15 years ago. They will make you open your eyes and say "wow" at times.

I also want to be clear that I'm not saying men don't or can't play with a strong foundation of fundamentals. They can and some do. It's what allows guys like John Stockton and Steve Nash to be great NBA players despite being small and having average quickness for a small player. It's what made Magic Johnson great and Larry Bird Great in their day. Part of the greatness of guys like Jordan and LeBron is that they not only could score, they look for the open man and they block out for rebounds under the glass and they fight through picks and they play good team defense.

Stautner

Reaction score
peplaw06;3954843 said:
Yeah it is.

It's all I need. You have no idea who focuses on what more, unless you've been to thousands of practices at all levels all over the world. I somehow doubt that you have.

No my "prove it" response was to your claim that you're not going to have as many turnovers, etc. Again, I somehow doubt that's the case... so I ask you to prove it.

Yeah I want to know, and yes it's a real question. Cause I don't want you weaseling out of this when I prove you wrong. I somehow doubt you would ever admit it though.

This really isn't as hard as you make it seem...

My point is I'm not going to spend my money and drive to wherever you feel like there's a quality women's basketball team to prove you wrong. Do I have to spell out every point I make? Lemme guess, you never played connect the dots?

:laugh2:

I'm sure you have watched hundreds of high-level women's and men's games live.

So, if you watch a game and see players blocking out every time the ball goes up, and watch another game and nobody blocks out and everyone stands around and just jumps as high as they can for a rebond, I can't make the statement that the first team focuses on the fundamental skill of blocking out more than the other.

Well, maybe you don't know basketball enough to do that, but I can.

Actually, I'm not making it hard. It is very simple. If you understand the game and watch the game and pay attention it's pretty simple. You are going to find very few people, if any, that understand the game that will say the NBA isn't a one on one league that tends to lean on that athleticism andmindset more an more, or that the women are less of a one on one style of play and they lean more on established baseketball fundamentals for their success.

By the way, I'll bank on the words of John Wooden over yours any day. Who do you have to back you up?

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Stautner;3954907 said:
So, if you watch a game and see players blocking out every time the ball goes up, and watch another game and nobody blocks out and everyone stands around and just jumps as high as they can for a rebond, I can't make the statement that the first team focuses on the fundamental skill of blocking out more than the other.

Well, maybe you don't know basketball enough to do that, but I can.
Sure you can make the statement, just like I can say your claim is bogus. I don't think your perception is the reality.

Actually, I'm not making it hard. It is very simple. If you understand the game and watch the game and pay attention it's pretty simple. You are going to find very few people, if any, that understand the game that will say the NBA isn't a one on one league that tends to lean on that athleticism andmindset more an more, or that the women are less of a one on one style of play and they lean more on established baseketball fundamentals for their success.
I don't think your perception is the reality.

By the way, I'll bank on the words of John Wooden over yours any day. Who do you have to back you up?
Ahhhh, now I see what it is. It's not your perception. It's someone else's.

Stautner

Reaction score
peplaw06;3955027 said:
Sure you can make the statement, just like I can say your claim is bogus. I don't think your perception is the reality.

I don't think your perception is the reality.

Ahhhh, now I see what it is. It's not your perception. It's someone else's.

It's really not hard to look at a player when a shot goes up and tell if he is blocking out and fighting for position. If you think it is only a nebulous perception when someone says they can see that then you clearly are so clueless about the game you have no place in the conversation. Any person with any basketball knowledge - even a small amount - can see when that occurs.

And no, it's not JUST someone else's perception, it's someone else's in addition to mine. I've always said exactly what I am saying now.

By the way, I have to assume that by treating john Wooden's words as mere "perception" you don't even know who john Wooden is. That pretty much says all anyone needs to know about your credibility.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Stautner;3955053 said:
It's really not hard to look at a player when a shot goes up and tell if he is blocking out and fighting for position. If you think it is only a nebulous perception when someone says they can see that then you clearly are so clueless about the game you have no place in the conversation. Any person with any basketball knowledge - even a small amount - can see when that occurs.

And no, it's not JUST someone else's perception, it's someone else's in addition to mine. I've always said exactly what I am saying now.
So I trust you've done a detailed statistical analysis of just how often players block out when rebounding across all levels of men's and women's basketball, and have determined that a far greater percentage of time women block out more than men? And I trust that this statistical analysis also looks at all the other fundamentals you look for? Jiminy man, why are you holding this out on us? Let's see it.

By the way, I have to assume that by treating john Wooden's words as mere "perception" you don't even know who john Wooden is. That pretty much says all anyone needs to know about your credibility.
And I have to assume that you haven't done the above-mentioned statistical analysis. So I'll also assume all you have done is read John Wooden's statement, watch some games and go, "yep, he's right." Really going out on a limb there.

Of course, when someone disagrees with you, you just say, "Oh it's soooooo obvious. How can you not see this?" And then when it persists, it's "well John Wooden agrees with me, so there." It really doesn't say much at all.

jimmy40

Reaction score
not surprising how athletic the NBA got when they started letting players constantly change their pivot foot (is there such a thing anymore?), take 3 full steps without dribbling, carry the ball, etc. etc. There is no way in hell the NBA is more fundamentally sound nowadays. That's just ********.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
jimmy40;3955090 said:
not surprising how athletic the NBA got when they started letting players constantly change their pivot foot (is there such a thing anymore?), take 3 full steps without dribbling, carry the ball, etc. etc. There is no way in hell the NBA is more fundamentally sound nowadays. That's just ********.

Refs are usually pretty good about calling it when guys change their pivot foot, especially when post players do it. The issue with not calling traveling on additional steps stems from the fact that players are so fast and athletic now that they make three steps "look" good and refs, in the midst of trying to watch everything else, miss it.

Guards getting away with carrying is as old as the game itself and is at every level of basketball.

Stautner

Reaction score
peplaw06;3955083 said:
So I trust you've done a detailed statistical analysis of just how often players block out when rebounding across all levels of men's and women's basketball, and have determined that a far greater percentage of time women block out more than men? And I trust that this statistical analysis also looks at all the other fundamentals you look for? Jiminy man, why are you holding this out on us? Let's see it.

And I have to assume that you haven't done the above-mentioned statistical analysis. So I'll also assume all you have done is read John Wooden's statement, watch some games and go, "yep, he's right." Really going out on a limb there.

Of course, when someone disagrees with you, you just say, "Oh it's soooooo obvious. How can you not see this?" And then when it persists, it's "well John Wooden agrees with me, so there." It really doesn't say much at all.

Wow, I guess you don't beleive the Cowboys Offensive line played poorly because you don't have a statistical analysis of how effectively every player blocked on every pass play.

And basketball is so much more transparent than that. Once again you are proving over and over and over again how completely clueless you are about the game. It's a simple thing to watch a game and see that a team consistently does a good job in certain areas. For a person to suggest that a knowledgeable person cannot see and understand what they see on the court without conducting detailed research project only shows that person has no practical knowledege of the game at all.

Hell, by saying that only by conducting a research project is it possible to understand what happens on a basketball court is such a huge indictment of your credibility on the topic of basketball that it really is humorous that you can't see it. You are essentially saying that you don't know enough to understand what you see, so everyone else must be just as ignorant of the game as you are.

Hell, I didn't even bring up the Wooden comment until well into it, and it wasn't even me that borught it up to begin with. But, again, you continuing to pass of Wooden's thoughts as inconsequential and mere "preception" is just more of an indictment of your credibility on the topic.

Let's add to it that i actually do go see games live - women's and men's. At a number of levels. You admit you don't watch the women play, yet my "perception" means nothing.

NMow, you can keep putting down the Wooden comment if you want, but let's see you come up with any knowledgeable people that agree with your point of view.

Rynie

Benched
Reaction score
I honestly forgot there was even a WNBA. They can't be making money. There are only so many lesbians in the U.S. hhaha.

Stautner

Reaction score
Rynie;3955135 said:
I honestly forgot there was even a WNBA. They can't be making money. There are only so many lesbians in the U.S. hhaha.

I'm glad i didn't say that (I did laugh a little though).

Stautner

Reaction score
The30YardSlant;3955095 said:
Refs are usually pretty good about calling it when guys change their pivot foot, especially when post players do it. The issue with not calling traveling on additional steps stems from the fact that players are so fast and athletic now that they make three steps "look" good and refs, in the midst of trying to watch everything else, miss it.

Guards getting away with carrying is as old as the game itself and is at every level of basketball.

I don't buy that. Sure the guys are quick, but we aren't talking about faster than a speeding bullet and quicker than the eye. NBA refs see enough games and do enough homework that they know what is going on aand they can adjust to the speed. I just think it's part of the NBA philosophy of making it an offensive game that will entertain the fans. The NBA, MLB adn NFL all gear toward the offense because that's what they feel will entertain the consumer.

Temo

Reaction score
jimmy40;3955090 said:

Holy hell it's like some of you have never watched an NBA game before.

Stautner

Reaction score
The funny thing is with all the league emphasis on offense and all the things offensive players can get away with, and with kids growing up focusing on dunks and long range 3 pointers, team scoring averages and FG% have dropped. Bottom line is more flash but less substance.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Stautner;3955125 said:
Wow, I guess you don't beleive the Cowboys Offensive line played poorly because you don't have a statistical analysis of how effectively every player blocked on every pass play.
Well I can tell you that if I made a claim about the Cowboys offensive line play, and someone disagreed with me, I would try to do some sort of statistical analysis or try to prove my claims in some way. I wouldn't just sit there and claim Hudson Houck or someone said so, and it's simply obvious, and anyone who couldn't see it is clueless about offensive line play. I've yet to see anything substantive from you that even attempts to prove your stance in this situation. You're just being conclusory, and anyone who doesn't agree with your conclusion probably hasn't seen a women's game live and is clueless about basketball. That's not an argument at all.

And basketball is so much more transparent than that. Once again you are proving over and over and over again how completely clueless you are about the game. It's a simple thing to watch a game and see that a team consistently does a good job in certain areas. For a person to suggest that a knowledgeable person cannot see and understand what they see on the court without conducting detailed research project only shows that person has no practical knowledege of the game at all.
This is exactly what I'm talking about. You're not saying anything substantive. If anyone disagrees with your opinion, they're clueless.

Hell, by saying that only by conducting a research project is it possible to understand what happens on a basketball court is such a huge indictment of your credibility on the topic of basketball that it really is humorous that you can't see it. You are essentially saying that you don't know enough to understand what you see, so everyone else must be just as ignorant of the game as you are.
I didn't say it's the ONLY way to prove your stance. It's one way. In this thread certain people have cited players who are known as outstanding fundamental players, and there have been videos shown of great fundamental play. Here's the highlight package from nba.com on Game 1 of the ECF.
[youtubehd]291XAtHVO78&NR=1[/youtubehd]

In just about every single play, I can pick out an outstanding fundamental play. You probably watch it and get distracted by the dunks and long-distance shots, because they're flashy and you have some form of ADD... but that doesn't mean the fundamentals aren't there.

And since you seem to be fixated on the particular fundamental of blocking out and proper rebound positioning, I specifically took note of at least 10 block-outs in what amounts to a 2 minute highlight package mostly filled with dunks and fast breaks where you're not going to get block-outs.

I could do this all day, but I don't feel like wasting hours and hours of time when I know you're just going to disagree. You're the most closed-minded person on this board, and that's saying a lot considering all the lockout debates going on.

Hell, I didn't even bring up the Wooden comment until well into it, and it wasn't even me that borught it up to begin with. But, again, you continuing to pass of Wooden's thoughts as inconsequential and mere "preception" is just more of an indictment of your credibility on the topic.
Strawman.

Let's add to it that i actually do go see games live - women's and men's. At a number of levels. You admit you don't watch the women play, yet my "perception" means nothing.
Yet another misstatement. I didn't admit that I don't watch women play. I've watched a number of women's games. Apparently you think you have to see them live to catch the fundamental superiority. I think that's ridiculous. I can see fundamentals, and the lack thereof on TV. You have to know what to look for and not always focus on the ball, and I know how to do that.

Not to mention that if women's basketball as a whole was better fundamentally than men's basketball, you wouldn't see the same teams winning just about every year in the biggest women's league in the country. There is so little depth in women's college ball it's laughable.

NMow, you can keep putting down the Wooden comment if you want, but let's see you come up with any knowledgeable people that agree with your point of view.
That's the only thing propping your argument up. This thread is the first time I've seen the actual quote, but I still haven't seen it in context, or in the original article that shows when he said it and with the rest of his thoughts on the subject. I'd like to see it.

But I'm not "putting it down." I'm disagreeing with using that quote as an entire basis for an argument that the women are more fundamentally sound than men. And that's all you're doing.

Out of all the points made in this argument, yours has essentially boiled down to -- "Wooden said it, and I can see it. If you disagree you're just not knowledgeable about the game." That's not a real argument. It's a conclusion. Anyone can make a conclusion. Not anyone can back up their conclusion though. You haven't been able to do that.

And if I simply propped up my argument with a person who said the NBA players have the best fundamentals, my argument would be just as nonexistent as yours is. And even if I spent the time searching for it, you'd probably claim it had less merit because it wasn't Wooden who said it.

The fact of the matter is that fundamentals are taught to male basketball players at an early age. Every single player in the NBA has them. They wouldn't have risen through the ranks and become the best of the best without them. And you somehow think that they all of a sudden forgot the fundamentals when they made it to the NBA? The real story is that the athleticism of NBA players is what separates the elite from the people who just have fundamentals. Your "argument" falls apart at every level if you think about it, though I know how hard that is for you.

Stautner

Reaction score
peplaw06;3955316 said:
Well I can tell you that if I made a claim about the Cowboys offensive line play, and someone disagreed with me, I would try to do some sort of statistical analysis or try to prove my claims in some way. I wouldn't just sit there and claim Hudson Houck or someone said so, and it's simply obvious, and anyone who couldn't see it is clueless about offensive line play. I've yet to see anything substantive from you that even attempts to prove your stance in this situation. You're just being conclusory, and anyone who doesn't agree with your conclusion probably hasn't seen a women's game live and is clueless about basketball. That's not an argument at all.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. You're not saying anything substantive. If anyone disagrees with your opinion, they're clueless.

I didn't say it's the ONLY way to prove your stance. It's one way. In this thread certain people have cited players who are known as outstanding fundamental players, and there have been videos shown of great fundamental play. Here's the highlight package from nba.com on Game 1 of the ECF.
[youtubehd]291XAtHVO78&NR=1[/youtubehd]

In just about every single play, I can pick out an outstanding fundamental play. You probably watch it and get distracted by the dunks and long-distance shots, because they're flashy and you have some form of ADD... but that doesn't mean the fundamentals aren't there.

And since you seem to be fixated on the particular fundamental of blocking out and proper rebound positioning, I specifically took note of at least 10 block-outs in what amounts to a 2 minute highlight package mostly filled with dunks and fast breaks where you're not going to get block-outs.

I could do this all day, but I don't feel like wasting hours and hours of time when I know you're just going to disagree. You're the most closed-minded person on this board, and that's saying a lot considering all the lockout debates going on.

Strawman.

Yet another misstatement. I didn't admit that I don't watch women play. I've watched a number of women's games. Apparently you think you have to see them live to catch the fundamental superiority. I think that's ridiculous. I can see fundamentals, and the lack thereof on TV. You have to know what to look for and not always focus on the ball, and I know how to do that.

Not to mention that if women's basketball as a whole was better fundamentally than men's basketball, you wouldn't see the same teams winning just about every year in the biggest women's league in the country. There is so little depth in women's college ball it's laughable.

That's the only thing propping your argument up. This thread is the first time I've seen the actual quote, but I still haven't seen it in context, or in the original article that shows when he said it and with the rest of his thoughts on the subject. I'd like to see it.

But I'm not "putting it down." I'm disagreeing with using that quote as an entire basis for an argument that the women are more fundamentally sound than men. And that's all you're doing.

Out of all the points made in this argument, yours has essentially boiled down to -- "Wooden said it, and I can see it. If you disagree you're just not knowledgeable about the game." That's not a real argument. It's a conclusion. Anyone can make a conclusion. Not anyone can back up their conclusion though. You haven't been able to do that.

And if I simply propped up my argument with a person who said the NBA players have the best fundamentals, my argument would be just as nonexistent as yours is. And even if I spent the time searching for it, you'd probably claim it had less merit because it wasn't Wooden who said it.

The fact of the matter is that fundamentals are taught to male basketball players at an early age. Every single player in the NBA has them. They wouldn't have risen through the ranks and become the best of the best without them. And you somehow think that they all of a sudden forgot the fundamentals when they made it to the NBA? The real story is that the athleticism of NBA players is what separates the elite from the people who just have fundamentals. Your "argument" falls apart at every level if you think about it, though I know how hard that is for you.

again, all of this just points more and more to yuor ignorance of the game.

You are going to claim that your argument is strionger because I can't provide a statistical analysis., right,

Well, and half-minded person with a half-minded understanding of the game knows nobody keeps stats of how many times a person could have blocked out but didn't or how many times they could have provided backside defensive help but didn't, or could have taken a charge, or made the pass for the high percentage shot, or filled the lane on the fast break, or moved their feet on defense, or moved without the ball, but didn't.

We are talking about the intangibles of the game - understanding the game and practicing baseketball in its purest form and being in the right place and doing the right things at the right times.

It just isn't the difficult thing you make it out to be. Blocking out, for example, is not a nebulous thing - to suggest that a person cannot watch a game and see when a person is blocking out consistently and see when another is not is ridiculous. It's like suggesting you can't tell when an OT doesn't move in front of a DE to pass block, or a catcher doesn't go to his knees to block a pitch in the dirt. It's that obvious. Of course, not every fundamental is that obvious - some aer more subtle, but the point is that if you watch games you get it.

It wasn't hard for anyone to see that the Larry Bird era Celtics and the Magic Johnson era Lakers were more fundamentally sound than other teams. No statistical analysis of statistics that nobody keeps was needed.

I see you must have finally looked up who joh Wooden was. Congratualations, now you can claim you know on tiny shred more about basketball than you did. Still, you are still passing that off as the only thing I have to hang my hat on, and once again i will point out that is one more thing than you have to hang yours on.

And by the way, the fact that you can find good fundamental plays in the pro game is completely irrelevent. I haven't claimed there are no fundmentals in the pros, so it's a ridiculoously inane argument for you to try and make.