WNBA fans?

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Stautner;3955569 said:
I don't need proof. John Wooden said so. If you can't see something so obvious, then you're ignorant, clueless, and inane.

Wake me up when you have something important to say.

Stautner

Reaction score
peplaw06;3955584 said:

You think any of this is important, including what you have to say?

It's a discussion. If you think it's important then I see your problem. It can't matter if you don't watch women's basketball or know who John Wooden is or know the difference between blocking out and a blocking foul - to admit you just really don't know enough to comment would be to lose something you find "important".

Stautner

Reaction score
peplaw06;3955584 said:

Idiotic statement. Asking for stats on intangibles.

In a football argument do you ask people for statistics on how sharp a WR makes his cuts. Do you expect someone to study game films and determine the exact degree of the angles the receiver makes and the exact percentage he loses in speed when he makes those cuts? How about a shortstop in baseball, do you expect statistics on how often one shortstop gets his feet in the best possible position to make a strong throw as compared to another person?

Those things, like basketball fundamentals, are not skills that stats are kept on. Period. It's moronic to suggest that stats have to be provided for those things. It's also moronic to suggest that a knowledgeable person cannot make legitimate observations about those things.

The bottom line simply has to be that you are not a knowledgeabe observer, because any remotely knowledge basketball fan can make reasonable observations about fundamental basketball tech

And I find it incredibly humorous that you continue to mock John Wooden. I find it incredibly humorous that you continue to suggest that a person who watches mens and women's basketball at all levels cannot observe more than someone who admits to not watching women's basketball, and I find it incredibly humorous that you think it is so incredibly impossible to make an observation about fundamental basketball skill. You lack any shred of logic on all fronts.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Stautner;3955600 said:
Idiotic statement. Asking for stats on intangibles.
Oh so fundamentals are intangibles now? Gotcha.

In a football argument do you ask people for statistics on how sharp a WR makes his cuts. Do you expect someone to study game films and determine the exact degree of the angles the receiver makes and the exact percentage he loses in speed when he makes those cuts? How about a shortstop in baseball, do you expect statistics on how often one shortstop gets his feet in the best possible position to make a strong throw as compared to another person?
You do realize that stats are kept on shooting percentage, turnovers, rebounds, etc? You have so little substance to offer, it's becoming embarrassing. I feel sorry for you.

Those things, like basketball fundamentals, are not skills that stats are kept on. Period. It's moronic to suggest that stats have to be provided for those things. It's also moronic to suggest that a knowledgeable person cannot make legitimate observations about those things.
I never suggested people can't make legitimate observations. You just haven't provided evidence of any of your legitimate observations. All you say is "I've seen it. Women do fundamentals better." And you expect people to just accept that and move on?

The bottom line simply has to be that you are not a knowledgeabe observer, because any remotely knowledge basketball fan can make reasonable observations about fundamental basketball tech
I've made tons of observations in this thread and provided visual evidence. You've provided squat.

And I find it incredibly humorous that you continue to mock John Wooden. I find it incredibly humorous that you continue to suggest that a person who watches mens and women's basketball at all levels cannot observe more than someone who admits to not watching women's basketball, and I find it incredibly humorous that you think it is so incredibly impossible to make an observation about fundamental basketball skill.
I find it incredibly humorous that you keep making **** up. I literally never said any of this stuff. It's like you're arguing with the voices in your head rather than me. Do you know what a strawman is? Do yourself a favor, and go to this link. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

I don't even know why I even respond to any of your posts any more. This is your MO, and it's really aggravating. I make a completely innocent observation, and you go ape-****. You look for arguments apparently just so you can make up positions and argue with straw men.

You lack any shred of logic on all fronts.
If I thought you had any idea what logic is, or how to use it, then I might care about your opinion.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Temo;3953861 said:
Please. NBA basketball is the best ball in the world.

This, entirely. Anyone who says otherwise is just a hater plain and simple. You can criticize the business itself, criticize David Stern, or the oftentimes questionable officiating, but never question the level of talent in the NBA.

Stautner

Reaction score
peplaw06;3955624 said:
Oh so fundamentals are intangibles now? Gotcha.

You do realize that stats are kept on shooting percentage, turnovers, rebounds, etc? You have so little substance to offer, it's becoming embarrassing. I feel sorry for you.

I never suggested people can't make legitimate observations. You just haven't provided evidence of any of your legitimate observations. All you say is "I've seen it. Women do fundamentals better." And you expect people to just accept that and move on?

I've made tons of observations in this thread and provided visual evidence. You've provided squat.

I find it incredibly humorous that you keep making **** up. I literally never said any of this stuff. It's like you're arguing with the voices in your head rather than me. Do you know what a strawman is? Do yourself a favor, and go to this link. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

I don't even know why I even respond to any of your posts any more. This is your MO, and it's really aggravating. I make a completely innocent observation, and you go ape-****. You look for arguments apparently just so you can make up positions and argue with straw men.

If I thought you had any idea what logic is, or how to use it, then I might care about your opinion.

Not really sure if "intangibles" is the best all encompassing word, although it certainly applies to a degree. There is no measuring stick for disciplined play while adhering to basic taught fundamental skills. But that's the lunacy of your argument - you expect that kind of thing to be measurable, and expect statistics. It's a ridiculous argument.

If all you can focus on is statistics then you truly do not understand the game, and you are clueless what this discussion is about. There is a hell of a lot going on out there other than the measurable stat that goes with having or taking possession of the ball, and there are a lot of unmeasured things that happen even when the person has the ball. Obviously that is completely foreign to you.

So you can look at a statistic that a men's team averages 30 rebounds a game, and a women's team averages 30 rebvounds agame as well. What exactly does that tell you about fundamental? Nothing - it doesn't change the fact in the least that one may have relied more on being able to jump through the roof to get the rebounds, and the other may have relied more on position to get the rebounds. Your argument is senseless.

What visual evidence have you provideded? So you provided some clips of some fundamentally sound plays - I never said men never play with fundamentals, so it's just an idiotic ploy for you to suggest these clips mean something in the context of this discussion. I have only said I believe women play a more fundamentally sound game, but that's the MO for guys like you - just claim the other guy is suggesting something dramatically more extreme and exaggerated than he really is. It's a defense mechanism to cover a lack of knowledge.

But lets just do this. Let's just say we each have our differeing opinioin and leave it at that. I'm not going to be able to provide statistics on something that nobody keeps statistics on, and neither are you.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
casmith07;3952803 said:
Sorry - I just cannot bear to watch women's basketball. I'll watch any other women's sport, but not basketball.

The WNBA... Where Nothing Happens.

:lmao:

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Stautner;3955628 said:
Not really sure if "intangibles" is the best all encompassing word, although it certainly applies to a degree. There is no measuring stick for disciplined play while adhering to basic taught fundamental skills. But that's the lunacy of your argument - you expect that kind of thing to be measurable, and expect statistics. It's a ridiculous argument.

If all you can focus on is statistics then you truly do not understand the game, and you are clueless what this discussion is about. There is a hell of a lot going on out there other than the measurable stat that goes with having or taking possession of the ball, and there are a lot of unmeasured things that happen even when the person has the ball. Obviously that is completely foreign to you.

So you can look at a statistic that a men's team averages 30 rebounds a game, and a women's team averages 30 rebvounds agame as well. What exactly does that tell you about fundamental? Nothing - it doesn't change the fact in the least that one may have relied more on being able to jump through the roof to get the rebounds, and the other may have relied more on position to get the rebounds. Your argument is senseless.
Your schtick is tired. Again with the clueless... get a thesaurus and learn some new insults.

And again, you offer nothing substantive.

What visual evidence have you provideded? So you provided some clips of some fundamentally sound plays - I never said men never play with fundamentals, so it's just an idiotic ploy for you to suggest these clips mean something in the context of this discussion. I have only said I believe women play a more fundamentally sound game, but that's the MO for guys like you - just claim the other guy is suggesting something dramatically more extreme and exaggerated than he really is. It's a defense mechanism to cover a lack of knowledge.
I, and other people in this thread, have provided clips of what we're talking about. And I told you I can do that all day. You simply claim you can see it. Well i see something different.

And no, you haven't just said that you "believe the women play a more fundamentally sound game." You've essentially said that anyone who doesn't believe that doesn't know what they're talking about and doesn't know the game. Which is total BS.

But lets just do this. Let's just say we each have our differeing opinioin and leave it at that. I'm not going to be able to provide statistics on something that nobody keeps statistics on, and neither are you.
I'd be perfectly happy to agree to disagree. Cause I know you ain't changing your mind. But if you call me clueless on the subject one more time, I'm just going to point out again that you haven't provided any substantive argument here. Talk about defense mechanisms.

Stautner

Reaction score
peplaw06;3955702 said:
Your schtick is tired. Again with the clueless... get a thesaurus and learn some new insults.

And again, you offer nothing substantive.

I, and other people in this thread, have provided clips of what we're talking about. And I told you I can do that all day. You simply claim you can see it. Well i see something different.

And no, you haven't just said that you "believe the women play a more fundamentally sound game." You've essentially said that anyone who doesn't believe that doesn't know what they're talking about and doesn't know the game. Which is total BS.

I'd be perfectly happy to agree to disagree. Cause I know you ain't changing your mind. But if you call me clueless on the subject one more time, I'm just going to point out again that you haven't provided any substantive argument here. Talk about defense mechanisms.

Where in the world have I said there were no fundamentals being played in the NBA? All your clips have shown is that there are some sound fundamentals being empolyed in the NBA, which i have also said.

And no, I have never said anyone who believes differently is clueless, I have said that anyone who cannot see when people are blocking out or providing backside help on defense or a number of other things I have discussed are clueless. A knowledgeable guy doesn't need a statistcal analysis (which, again, no one is keeping statistics on) to know when teams do those things well and when they don't. It's as plan as it is to notice what QB's consistently hold the ball too long and which get rid of the ball quickly. It's apparent, and gets more apparent the more you watch.

If you claim you have watched a lot of both men's and womens basketball - which you admit you have not - and you understand the game and see it differently than I do, then that's fine. That would be a different perspective, which happens. But to say you really don't watch women's basketball and to also say it isn't possible to see what is happening on the court without a statistical research tells me you don't even have a legitimate perspective to share. You are talking from a lack of actual exposure to the topic, and a lack of understanding of the game. Further, to deny the credibility of perhaps the most legendary coach in basketball history just enforces that.

But, again, we can just call it a difference of opiniion and leave it at that.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
If you can't appreciate the women's game of basketball.

A: You have never really sat back and watched it.
B: Have never met a woman that could play ball with the guys.
C. Perhaps you are sexist.
D. Don't understand the game for either sex.
E: Just an idiot.

WG made some good points and many were overlooked because of you two brow beating each other and the guy that said dunking was fundamental. Ugh.

Short vague,tangent story; My baby sister in 6th grade was so good at playing that she was offered a potential sports scholarship at one of the best women's basketball programs in the country (as long as she kept her perfect grades up). My little brother was offered a house...in 9th grade to stay and play football, first jersey retired by the school...He went on to become a blue chip player playing basketball, and never played competitive football again.

Point is, The game is played differently because of their athletic abilities. But the game from a fundemental standpoint is as good, if not better than most men's games that are so hyped.

One more thing. I don't understand how some love men's college basketball but not the NBA ?

Stautner

Reaction score
SkinsandTerps;3956699 said:
One more thing. I don't understand how some love men's college basketball but not the NBA ?

I always liked both, but I admit there was a time that I enjoyed men's college basketball for different reasons. I felt they played a more "pure" form of basketball without all the focus on one on one play and lieniency on taking exta steps and carrying the ball - closer overall adherence to the fundamentals skills of defense, team play etc. taht are taught even to kids just starting out. I don't see the distinction between collge and NBA being as clear anymore.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Until this season I'll admit I was a bigger college bball fan mostly because the Grizz were terrible.