Working theory: Connor Williams = Pivot point of this off season

_sturt_

Reaction score
I know this isn't a new topic, but I'm asserting a more precise and definitive point... sue me if I turn out to be wrong, but I'm not worth much :) ...

I'm convicted that the draft pivots on whether Jones, Jones & McClay LLC believe they'll be able to sign Connor Williams to be the 2024 roster's center.

Supporting that: Of the remaining free agents who play the positions of need, he's the best of that pool of names. Yes, he's coming back from injury, but that's what makes him plausibly affordable to a team that's up against the cap. And I believe that they believe you can get by with Hoffman for whatever handful of early games Connor's not yet back.

As has been discussed ad infinitum, you're just not going to be able to fill all the remaining holes adequately through promotion of the TJ Bass types on the roster, nor the draft. You need at least one position legitimately addressed still yet via free agency.

And two weeks from today, then, we're all going to be talking about what position didn't get addressed on Day 1 or Day 2. I think that position will be C. Well, okay, maybe "hope" is the better term. But that almost has to be the strategy. And so, fwiw, I'm among the many who think LT is envisioned right now to be the first pick, and then DT in the 2nd. Third round will yield either the best LB or best RB left on their board.

Creeper

Reaction score
I think Connor Williams will be to expensive for the Jones clan. Plus, when people starting talking about how good he was at C in Miami, I started watching him play, and honestly, I was not impressed. I think he is one guy who will not be a great value to sign. Maybe he signs a cheap one year deal somewhere, but he is not a long term solution.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I know this isn't a new topic, but I'm asserting a more precise and definitive point... sue me if I turn out to be wrong, but I'm not worth much :) ...

I'm convicted that the draft pivots on whether Jones, Jones & McClay LLC believe they'll be able to sign Connor Williams to be the 2024 roster's center.

Supporting that: Of the remaining free agents who play the positions of need, he's the best of that pool of names. Yes, he's coming back from injury, but that's what makes him plausibly affordable to a team that's up against the cap. And I believe that they believe you can get by with Hoffman for whatever handful of early games Connor's not yet back.

As has been discussed ad infinitum, you're just not going to be able to fill all the remaining holes adequately through promotion of the TJ Bass types on the roster, nor the draft. You need at least one position legitimately addressed still yet via free agency.

And two weeks from today, then, we're all going to be talking about what position didn't get addressed on Day 1 or Day 2. I think that position will be C. Well, okay, maybe "hope" is the better term. But that almost has to be the strategy. And so, fwiw, I'm among the many who think LT is envisioned right now to be the first pick, and then DT in the 2nd. Third round will yield either the best LB or best RB left on their board.
While the Joneses do believe you can acquire players in camp or even after camp if need be, I'll be really surprised if we don't draft a center at some point in this draft. The Cowboys don't like to spend in free agency, so unless Williams is open to a one-year, $1.2 million deal, it's very unlikely that he'll sign. His best bet may be waiting until his knee finishes healing up and a team that is willing to pay him decently has a need open up. By then, he'll have a better idea of whether he should try to continue his career or retire.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Pass.

Rather move forward, not backward.

Not likely to help in 2024 anyway. Revisit the position next off-season if they don’t either draft one early in a strong center class, or know that Hoffman or Bass can handle it.

blueblood70

Reaction score

First of all there was a thread on this already, it's been discussed in full and I still say no...

I do not want a player who's coming off an injury that we got rid of and then backtrack and bring him back... I believe we'd better off with Hoffman as our center if that's the fall back.. But there's always room for a trade or a guy who's going to be cut there are other free agents going to be left out there if it's not addressed in the draft...

i say NO to Cwill

I heard zeke's available Kellen Moore seems to think he's a center..:muttley::laugh:

blueblood70

Reaction score
I think Connor Williams will be to expensive for the Jones clan. Plus, when people starting talking about how good he was at C in Miami, I started watching him play, and honestly, I was not impressed. I think he is one guy who will not be a great value to sign. Maybe he signs a cheap one year deal somewhere, but he is not a long term solution.
So you contradict yourself, first you want to take a poke at the Jones family for not wanting to overpay for the guy, then you explain how he's not worth being overpaid!! :facepalm:

why do you all do that?? So your contradiction would be you think that Jones clan wouldn't do that but the fact is they shouldn't and they're smart for doing so lol

literally, I don't want the guy because he's coming off an injury and we've already let the guy go and you're right he was very average he's not better than Tyler and we didn't want to pay Tyler we let him walk my opinion are probably about the same... We might as well start Hoffman if we don't find a better option before September...

_sturt_

Reaction score
Last I read, his knee was so bad he might not be able to play at all this year. Might even have to retire.
This is the quote that is advancing that speculation...

“So Connor had a, without getting into his private business, it was a significant knee injury,” Rosenhaus said on Miami television station WSVN. “So, he’s taking his time with his rehab. I don’t think his immediate plan is to sign with the Dolphins or any team right now. I think he’s focused on his medical situation — getting healthy — and then see where he stands at that point. So, it’s not going to be any time soon that we see Connor Williams signing with an NFL team.”

But while it seems legit to say "might not be able to play at all this year," Rosenhaus still seems to point toward a general expectation he'll be back at some point.

And again, as others before me have observed, it's the very fact that he would be coming back from injury and almost certainly not available for some number of games to begin the season that makes him a plausible get money-wise.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Rather move forward, not backward.
I just never understand this line of thought... and nothing against this poster, but this seems to come up with some routine as "reason" to not sign a given player.

That you had an asset before... logically... presents no compelling reason against reacquiring that asset if, indeed, there's a need and the asset represents somewhat of a fit.

None.

Well, no, wait. There is one way it matters, and that is if the player has been a locker room cancer. But nothing on the field.

Chasing6

Reaction score
First of all there was a thread on this already, it's been discussed in full and I still say no...

I do not want a player who's coming off an injury that we got rid of and then backtrack and bring him back... I believe we'd better off with Hoffman as our center if that's the fall back.. But there's always room for a trade or a guy who's going to be cut there are other free agents going to be left out there if it's not addressed in the draft...

i say NO to Cwill

I heard zeke's available Kellen Moore seems to think he's a center..:muttley::laugh:
We have gamble enough on inured players for the next 10 years.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I just never understand this line of thought... and nothing against this poster, but this seems to come up with some routine as "reason" to not sign a given player.

That you had an asset before... logically... presents no compelling reason against reacquiring that asset if, indeed, there's a need and the asset represents somewhat of a fit.

None.

Well, no, wait. There is one way it matters, and that is if the player has been a locker room cancer. But nothing on the field.
Whether he played he before or not is irrelevant. I just don’t think he fits.

They need both an immediate and longer term solution at the position. If you have to go with Hoffman for most of the year anyway, what was the point of bringing in Williams now? Not exactly ideal to reconfigure your starting OL around Thanksgiving as something that was pre planned.

I’m hoping they use pick 24 on a center in fact. They can actually upgrade one position if they do.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
It's either him or we'll sign a 36 year old center or something crazy

rambo2

Reaction score

I don't think they are interested in the injured Williams. I think they are interested in drafting a center.

ColoradoCowboy

Reaction score
IIRC, one of our Zone guys actually talked to Williams this offseason. The gist is that Williams would rather retire than come back to Dallas. Not sure why we are still talking about him. He ain't coming here.

rambo2

Reaction score
IIRC, one of our Zone guys actually talked to Williams this offseason. The gist is that Williams would rather retire than come back to Dallas. Not sure why we are still talking about him. He ain't coming here.
It sounded like it had nothing to do with Dallas.

exciter

Reaction score

They have absolutely no intention whatsoever of bringing back Connor Williams!

conner01

Reaction score
Average center about the same as Biadasz but worse injury history

_sturt_

Reaction score
Whether he played he before or not is irrelevant.
I don't make the rules of logic. It is irrelevant whether a player did or did not ever put on the uniform before.

I just don’t think he fits.
Because?

He's a center (now). And relatively well-regarded one at that.

They need both an immediate and longer term solution at the position.
Can agree with that.

But this team is pretty much 2024 or bust at this point.

If you have to go with Hoffman for most of the year anyway, what was the point of bringing in Williams now? Not exactly ideal to reconfigure your starting OL around Thanksgiving as something that was pre planned.
The logic... there's that word again... is that you are going to have to be content to fill-in at least one position with some free agent, as-is. You're simply not going to be able to fill all the voids with talent that, as we sit here in April 2024, we can have confidence in their performance. What makes the most sense, then, is to get the best player at a position of need at the most affordable price you can in free agency, and hope you can hit on your first three picks, and additionally hope another pick or UDFA also hit.

What's the point? The point is not the regular season so much as it is post season... and if you're not making it to post season, what do we really care anyway?