Working theory: Connor Williams = Pivot point of this off season

Forneymike

Reaction score
I know this isn't a new topic, but I'm asserting a more precise and definitive point... sue me if I turn out to be wrong, but I'm not worth much :) ...

I'm convicted that the draft pivots on whether Jones, Jones & McClay LLC believe they'll be able to sign Connor Williams to be the 2024 roster's center.

Supporting that: Of the remaining free agents who play the positions of need, he's the best of that pool of names. Yes, he's coming back from injury, but that's what makes him plausibly affordable to a team that's up against the cap. And I believe that they believe you can get by with Hoffman for whatever handful of early games Connor's not yet back.

As has been discussed ad infinitum, you're just not going to be able to fill all the remaining holes adequately through promotion of the TJ Bass types on the roster, nor the draft. You need at least one position legitimately addressed still yet via free agency.

And two weeks from today, then, we're all going to be talking about what position didn't get addressed on Day 1 or Day 2. I think that position will be C. Well, okay, maybe "hope" is the better term. But that almost has to be the strategy. And so, fwiw, I'm among the many who think LT is envisioned right now to be the first pick, and then DT in the 2nd. Third round will yield either the best LB or best RB left on their board.
I thought he might retire due to his knees

blueblood70

Reaction score
Draft a fairly healthy, inexpensive rookie Center.
We have a guy on the team that's no longer a rookie that shows promise and he's practicing I believe his name is Hoffman... That will be the fall back plan have him start at center and I don't think that it's gonna be a drop off from Tyler nothing against him but he wasn't special he was just your average good center that's why he's not paid and for sure we're not bringing some player we already cut he gets hurt there's no timetable but you wanna bring back a guy who wasn't even very popular here.... Talk about backsliding... Absolutely not on Connor Williams this is the second thread about him he's not special we got guys you can get every day off the veteran trash heap that would be a better option.. They're gonna draft at least one lineman but they're not gonna reach for one position who they're gonna take the best lineman they can get whether it's guard tackle or center but we have guys on this team that can fill in admirably right now if the game started tomorrow... However the NFL is still full of a lot of free agents that have not been picked up I know it's hard to believe the free agency started on March 14 but there's a lot of guys left out there more that will be cut there will be trades that can happen literally lots of options left before September so anybody hitting the panic button to a point they think we need to bring back an injured ex player..nope nada no way LOL

_sturt_

Reaction score
Dang, I didn't realize he was that bad. I take it back. We are definitely targeting him.
Realize this was said for comedy's sake, but folks, just so we're clear... there is exactly the same evidence for concluding that Williams will start the first game of the season as there is for concluding that he's on the verge of retirement.

The Rosenhaus quote is our only insight. What's being taken as-if compelling is the speculation of a Dolphins blogger. And of course, Williams' detractors are going to naturally seize on that speculation. I get that. But for the intelligent ones here, just don't be duped. Sure, he might end up having to retire. Who knows. But the only thing that has been said is... well... the only thing that has been said, that they want to wait until he's progressed further in his rehab before signing his next contract.

Reactions: CWR

_sturt_

Reaction score
the second thread about him
Some of you who make this board a daily ritual need to cut the rest of us some grace... we not only don't read every thread on the first page every day, we don't even scan all of the threads every day. Missed the other thread, but I'd be amazed to learn that the thrust of that thread was the same as the thrust of this thread. Yes, this is about Connor Williams, but it's also about a line of reason that posits you must still find some help in free agency at one of the lacking positions on the roster... and smartest to identify a player who, especially come post season, is most likely to be able to be a significant asset. You're not going to fill all the needs through the draft.

So, point being, I'm fine if anyone wants to propose some other free agent at some other position who ought to be considered ahead of Williams. Or, if someone wants to make the case that a position of perceived need isn't actually a position of need after all... like, in this case, maybe Hoffman's more than adequate.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All I know is they have a plan and I'll eventually catch up to what those forward thinkers are doing.

CWR

Reaction score
Some of you who make this board a daily ritual need to cut the rest of us some grace... we not only don't read every thread on the first page every day, we don't even scan all of the threads every day. Missed the other thread, but I'd be amazed to learn that the thrust of that thread was the same as the thrust of this thread. Yes, this is about Connor Williams, but it's also about a line of reason that posits you must still find some help in free agency at one of the lacking positions on the roster... and smartest to identify a player who, especially come post season, is most likely to be able to be a significant asset. You're not going to fill all the needs through the draft.

So, point being, I'm fine if anyone wants to propose some other free agent at some other position who ought to be considered ahead of Williams. Or, if someone wants to make the case that a position of perceived need isn't actually a position of need after all... like, in this case, maybe Hoffman's more than adequate.
Hey its the first thread on him I've seen. I for one an happy to see any thread that isn't Madden based or going over the one topic ever thread deteriorates to.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I know this isn't a new topic, but I'm asserting a more precise and definitive point... sue me if I turn out to be wrong, but I'm not worth much :) ...

I'm convicted that the draft pivots on whether Jones, Jones & McClay LLC believe they'll be able to sign Connor Williams to be the 2024 roster's center.

Supporting that: Of the remaining free agents who play the positions of need, he's the best of that pool of names. Yes, he's coming back from injury, but that's what makes him plausibly affordable to a team that's up against the cap. And I believe that they believe you can get by with Hoffman for whatever handful of early games Connor's not yet back.

As has been discussed ad infinitum, you're just not going to be able to fill all the remaining holes adequately through promotion of the TJ Bass types on the roster, nor the draft. You need at least one position legitimately addressed still yet via free agency.

And two weeks from today, then, we're all going to be talking about what position didn't get addressed on Day 1 or Day 2. I think that position will be C. Well, okay, maybe "hope" is the better term. But that almost has to be the strategy. And so, fwiw, I'm among the many who think LT is envisioned right now to be the first pick, and then DT in the 2nd. Third round will yield either the best LB or best RB left on their board.
Could have avoided some of the instant need for DT for an easy cheap 2 million dollars. JJ let Hankins walk for 2 million. Now we have Mazi and a few others that can’t stop the run.

Motorola

Reaction score

'_sturt_' - duly note your acknowledgement of not being an avid participant in CZ on a daily basis
But your admission to that appears to align itself that you're not aware of candidates for the position from the collegiate ranks.
This year's draft prospects has 3 players who are solid enough to be selected in the latter 1st \ upper 2nd rounds (Jackson Powes-Johnson, Zach Frazier, Graham Barton).
Plus - another two centers that are rated as possible 3rd \ definite 4th-round selections (Sedrick Van Pran, Beux Limmer).
It appears those 5 players would be on the Cowboys rader for a replacement at center above Connor Williams at this stage in his career + plus the recent major injury.

_sturt_

Reaction score
But your admission to that appears to align itself that you're not aware of candidates for the position from the collegiate ranks.
Begging your indulgence, let me try again.

Candidates? There are candidates in the first three rounds for C, for LT, for DT, for LB, for RB... and oh by the way, me, I'd be altogether interested in another DE given the widely-regarded depth in this draft and cognizant of DLaw's treadwear, not to mention the loss of Armstrong.

We have to be choosy about what positions of need should be targeted with the first three picks... hence the words that read...

but it's also about a line of reason that posits you must still find some help in free agency at one of the lacking positions on the roster... and smartest to identify a player who, especially come post season, is most likely to be able to be a significant asset. You're not going to fill all the needs through the draft.
... and at least one intelligent way to approach it is to say, "okay, of what's remaining in the free agent market, for which position is there some adequate-to-good player that we reasonably might be able to sign at some discount, but who most importantly we have reason to believe can help us in post season."

Let me check that position off the list, then, and presume I'll just draft someone later in the draft at that position, or sign as a UDFA, that I might be able to develop longer-term.

That, then, lets me concentrate on the other positions.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

With regards to the overall roster, consider this scenario and are there any downgrades relative to 2023:

Offense
Draft OC in the 1st
Tyler Smith plays LT
Bass plays LG

2nd round RB replaces Pollard

Anybody replaces Gallup including more snaps with multiple TEs which decreases the overall snaps for 3 WR sets.

Defense
Diggs replaces Gilmore.

Kendricks replaces LVE.

Overshown and Clark compete for the other LB position.

M. Bell plays the big Safety position in 3 Safety sets that Kearse played previously.

Mazi plays well enough to meet or exceed Hankins 2023 performance.

_sturt_

Reaction score
With regards to the overall roster, consider this scenario and are there any downgrades relative to 2023:

Offense
Draft OC in the 1st
Tyler Smith plays LT
Bass plays LG

Anybody replaces Gallup including more snaps with multiple TEs which decreases the overall snaps for 3 WR sets.

Defense
Diggs replaces Gilmore.

Kendricks replaces LVE.

M. Bell plays the big Safety position in 3 Safety sets that Kearse played previously.

It's true... if one is prepared to assume we should feel confidence in Bass and Mazi stepping up? Problem solved. That's not just one but two positions of significant need already addressed before the draft.

I'm not there.

I'm probably better about Dowdle being the answer at RB than I am that Bass is the answer at LG, and by association then, the ripple effect that Smith moves out to LT.

And while I'm among the most defiant against those ready to render a verdict on Mazi's ceiling, I'm also a realist. We can't go to training camp presuming he's going take a huge leap.

shabazz

Reaction score
I'd be content with Biadasz. You have to be content with some average players. There's no way around that.
Yeah but why so many on our team?.....nothing wrong with sharing some of those blessings

shabazz

Reaction score

Offense
Draft OC in the 1st
Tyler Smith plays LT
Bass plays LG

Defense
Diggs replaces Gilmore.

Kendricks replaces LVE.

Hoping I'm not taking you out of context but a RB in the 2nd round when the trenches on both sides of the ball are inferior or depleted?

Apologies if I misunderstood

_sturt_

Reaction score
Yeah but why so many on our team?
Math?

Hard cap paired with fact you're having to figure out how to pay for having such grandiose success drafting CeeDee and Micah after having paid Diggs, and probably having to pay Bland soon enough.

Motorola

Reaction score
Begging your indulgence, let me try again.

Candidates? There are candidates in the first three rounds for C, for LT, for DT, for LB, for RB... and oh by the way, me, I'd be altogether interested in another DE given the widely-regarded depth in this draft and cognizant of DLaw's treadwear, not to mention the loss of Armstrong.

We have to be choosy about what positions of need should be targeted with the first three picks... hence the words that read...

... and at least one intelligent way to approach it is to say, "okay, of what's remaining in the free agent market, for which position is there some adequate-to-good player that we reasonably might be able to sign at some discount, but who most importantly we have reason to believe can help us in post season."

Let me check that position off the list, then, and presume I'll just draft someone later in the draft at that position, or sign as a UDFA, that I might be able to develop longer-term.

That, then, lets me concentrate on the other positions.
' _sturt_'
Yesterday morning you created this thread advocating the Cowboys sign Connor Williams to be their center for the 2024-25 season.

I have gone back and read every response to your proposal.

Either for his latest injury, likely contract demand, or overall career play to date - not one CZer responding (closing in on 20 members and counting ) - supports you in your request to bring Williams back to be a center - much less a starting one - for the Dallas Cowboys.

shabazz

Reaction score
Math?

Hard cap paired with fact you're having to figure out how to pay for having such grandiose success drafting CeeDee and Micah after having paid Diggs, and probably having to pay Bland soon enough.
I've always thought that too but how do teams like the Eagles and Niners, who have massive stars and contracts, still manage to constantly upgrade positions?.......I mean they are paying Hurts a bundle

Tussinman

Reaction score
Realize this was said for comedy's sake, but folks, just so we're clear... there is exactly the same evidence for concluding that Williams will start the first game of the season as there is for concluding that he's on the verge of retirement.

The Rosenhaus quote is our only insight. What's being taken as-if compelling is the speculation of a Dolphins blogger. And of course, Williams' detractors are going to naturally seize on that speculation. I get that. But for the intelligent ones here, just don't be duped. Sure, he might end up having to retire. Who knows. But the only thing that has been said is... well... the only thing that has been said, that they want to wait until he's progressed further in his rehab before signing his next contract
So far we know that a 26-year-old had his 4th knee operation in January. Of course there's a small chance he can defy all logic but most people aren't going to give him the benefit of the doubt, I think absolute best case scenario he misses at least six games. I don't think his market this season is going to be very desirable