Working theory: Connor Williams = Pivot point of this off season

conner01

Reaction score
I don't think they are interested in the injured Williams. I think they are interested in drafting a center.
I think they also like what they seen in Hoffman. He didn’t play much but they seen him practice.

_sturt_

Reaction score
They have absolutely no intention whatsoever of bringing back Connor Williams!
Reporting over the last 2-3 weeks says otherwise... and that, btw, is reporting after the Rosenhaus quote about the extent of his injury.

_sturt_

Reaction score
I don't think they are interested in the injured Williams. I think they are interested in drafting a center.
I think they'll draft a C. I just don't think they'll draft one early.

_sturt_

Reaction score
We have gamble enough on inured players for the next 10 years.
There will always be teams gambling on injured players, though. That doesn't change. Cowboys or not. 2024 or not. It's more of a consideration when the budget limits you, and you have to look at players who aren't in a position to demand the price they otherwise would be able to demand.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I don't make the rules of logic. It is irrelevant whether a player did or did not ever put on the uniform before.

Because?

He's a center (now). And relatively well-regarded one at that.

Can agree with that.

But this team is pretty much 2024 or bust at this point.

The logic... there's that word again... is that you are going to have to be content to fill-in at least one position with some free agent, as-is. You're simply not going to be able to fill all the voids with talent that, as we sit here in April 2024, we can have confidence in their performance. What makes the most sense, then, is to get the best player at a position of need at the most affordable price you can in free agency, and hope you can hit on your first three picks, and additionally hope another pick or UDFA also hit.

What's the point? The point is not the regular season so much as it is post season... and if you're not making it to post season, what do we really care anyway?
Considering his circumstances, coupled with those of the team, I don’t see the fit, or the need to bring him in now. It doesn’t solve anything. The way it sounds he may not even sign, as he isn’t likely to play. It’s not as if he is a rusher or WR that can help with depth by joining later on. It’s not a position you ideally want to swap out on purpose as the season is coming to an end. Either you’re good with who you have already or it doesn’t much matter.

If he hasn’t been signed for 2025 and the position is still up in the air at that time, then things may be different.

exciter

Reaction score
Reporting over the last 2-3 weeks says otherwise... and that, btw, is reporting after the Rosenhaus quote about the extent of his injury.
Lol,
What reporting, tweets based on gibberish Rosenhaus made up? Everything is pointing to Williams having recovery issues and not being able to begin playing until late November at best and most likely having to redshirt 2024!

_sturt_

Reaction score
What reporting
Admittedly, "reporting" might be a bit too strong a characterization. It was said by an ostensibly independent "NFL source" that it was an idea that would make sense.

gibberish Rosenhaus made up
Not sure what you're suggesting. You're aware, right, that Rosenhaus is the agent, and that the only reason we're having this conversation at all is what he told a Miami media outlet... "gibberish" no. He is the one person with direct knowledge of the situation who has spoken.

Everything is pointing to Williams having recovery issues and not being able to begin playing until late November at best and most likely having to redshirt 2024!
Now, you could turn out to be right, my friend, but if so, it's random chance... b/c this is gibberish. No one with insight has put any date on it.

_sturt_

Reaction score
It's a position that they could draft in any of the 1st 3 rounds.
True. And they might. My working theory is that they'll check-in on Williams quietly during draft week to get an idea of how things are progressing, about 6 weeks after the Rosenhaus update.

But what's almost certainly true as we sit here today... there's going to be one position that they know they're going to have to still yet sign a free agent or make a trade to fill with any decently adequate confidence.

The OP asserts that point, and... that with there being a decently adequate solution available in free agency, C continues to make the most sense.

What we don't know is what assets might be on the market available by trade.

And, too, we don't know what, if any, current players on the roster they've decided are prepare to step up and lay claim to a significantly bigger role. Maybe they actually consider Bass to be ready to start, and they've quietly already plugged him in, and are ready to move Tyler to LT. Or perhaps they feel like Edoga is more than just a back-up. Maybe they have a stronger opinion of Dowdle than is presently understood, and aren't really that married to the idea of drafting a RB early. We don't know, but I take it for granted that none of those things are true until new information says otherwise.

Chasing6

Reaction score
There will always be teams gambling on injured players, though. That doesn't change. Cowboys or not. 2024 or not. It's more of a consideration when the budget limits you, and you have to look at players who aren't in a position to demand the price they otherwise would be able to demand.
No we take dumb gambles. Using high draft picks and big extensions on injured players.

If you want to gamble on a late pick or 1 year contract, that is fine. That is not what we do.

exciter

Reaction score
Admittedly, "reporting" might be a bit too strong a characterization. It was said by an ostensibly independent "NFL source" that it was an idea that would make sense.

Not sure what you're suggesting. You're aware, right, that Rosenhaus is the agent, and that the only reason we're having this conversation at all is what he told a Miami media outlet... "gibberish" no. He is the one person with direct knowledge of the situation who has spoken.

Now, you could turn out to be right, my friend, but if so, it's random chance... b/c this is gibberish. No one with insight has put any date on it.
Gibberish would be Rosenhaus desperately regurgitating Dallas out of his mouth in an attempt to spark interest in a clink one has sniffed at!

Make sense???
Williams gave up 7 penalties and a sack in a mere 497 snaps last season… also missed first 4 games with a groin. That would indicate he’s still having the same underpowered issues that he had with us in our outside zone offense. So now would he not only be drastically underpowered in Solaris’s man/inside zone scheme he would have mobility issues due to coming off a 2nd ACL tear.
Nothing about resigning Williams would make any sense!

_sturt_

Reaction score
would be Rosenhaus desperately regurgitating Dallas out of his mouth
Would be? Okay. Yes. Would be.

That's not what happened, tho, so what are you talking about?

Williams gave up 7 penalties and a sack in a mere 497 snaps last season… also missed first 4 games with a groin. That would indicate he’s still having the same underpowered issues that he had with us in our outside zone offense. So now would he not only be drastically underpowered in Solaris’s man/inside zone scheme he would have mobility issues due to coming off a 2nd ACL tear.
Nothing about resigning Williams would make any sense!
First, let's not set this up as-if I'm asserting Williams is the next great Cowboys center in-waiting. All we're trying to do here is put into the mix a center who inspires some degree of confidence that he's at least adequate.

Per PFF, before his injury, he posted a 90.5 run-blocking grade. Among qualifying centers, that ranked... um... lemmeee seeeee heeeere... first.

Pass blocking, though, there's where nothing about signing Williams would make any sense...surely. And there it is. Yep. See? Was only the second best center allowing sacks. And all the way down at 4th with a 98.7 pass blocking efficiency rating.

I take it back. You're right. He has nothing to offer.

exciter

Reaction score
Would be? Okay. Yes. Would be.

That's not what happened, tho, so what are you talking about?

First, let's not set this up as-if I'm asserting Williams is the next great Cowboys center in-waiting. All we're trying to do here is put into the mix a center who inspires some degree of confidence that he's at least adequate.

Per PFF, before his injury, he posted a 90.5 run-blocking grade. Among qualifying centers, that ranked... um... lemmeee seeeee heeeere... first.

Pass blocking, though, there's where nothing about signing Williams would make any sense...surely. And there it is. Yep. See? Was only the second best center allowing sacks. And all the way down at 4th with a 98.7 pass blocking efficiency rating.

I take it back. You're right. He has nothing to offer.
Again, his blocking score was inflated by playing in Miami’s outside zone due to his mobility. Here, not only would he be drastically underpowered to play in Solari’s current scheme he will have lost his best asset due to coming off a 2nd ACL. Just because someone plays a position of perceived need doesn’t mean they fit the scheme. He’s a horrible fit for the scheme despite the simplistic tweet rumors!

CWR

Reaction score
I know this isn't a new topic, but I'm asserting a more precise and definitive point... sue me if I turn out to be wrong, but I'm not worth much :) ...

I'm convicted that the draft pivots on whether Jones, Jones & McClay LLC believe they'll be able to sign Connor Williams to be the 2024 roster's center.

Supporting that: Of the remaining free agents who play the positions of need, he's the best of that pool of names. Yes, he's coming back from injury, but that's what makes him plausibly affordable to a team that's up against the cap. And I believe that they believe you can get by with Hoffman for whatever handful of early games Connor's not yet back.

As has been discussed ad infinitum, you're just not going to be able to fill all the remaining holes adequately through promotion of the TJ Bass types on the roster, nor the draft. You need at least one position legitimately addressed still yet via free agency.

And two weeks from today, then, we're all going to be talking about what position didn't get addressed on Day 1 or Day 2. I think that position will be C. Well, okay, maybe "hope" is the better term. But that almost has to be the strategy. And so, fwiw, I'm among the many who think LT is envisioned right now to be the first pick, and then DT in the 2nd. Third round will yield either the best LB or best RB left on their board.
Where we are drafting is about the spot the top center will go isn't it? If for no other reason I think they may hold off on a FA center so they can get a big need at a premium pick, on a rookie deal.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
Injured and next season is iffy you say. Sounds like right up the Team Jones’ alley.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Pass.

Rather move forward, not backward.

Not likely to help in 2024 anyway. Revisit the position next off-season if they don’t either draft one early in a strong center class, or know that Hoffman or Bass can handle it.
I heard Jerry is close to signing Dez.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Draft a fairly healthy, inexpensive rookie Center.