World Cup is boring

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
The NFL could definitely learn something from soccer, where 90 minute games are completed in 2 hours. It's amazing how they still make a ton of money without stopping the game every 5 minutes to run commercials.

Meanwhile, we can't play 60 minutes in 3 hours and the excitement stops repeatedly so someone can try to sell me beer or an SUV. :rolleyes:

Blackspider214

Reaction score
The NFL could definitely learn something from soccer, where 90 minute games are completed in 2 hours. It's amazing how they still make a ton of money without stopping the game every 5 minutes to run commercials.

Meanwhile, we can't play 60 minutes in 3 hours and the excitement stops repeatedly so someone can try to sell me beer or an SUV. :rolleyes:

Maybe rugby is more of the sport you are looking for then.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

this....
for any faults the game has it definitely has the better fan experience with a couple downed players per half to grab a beer to go pee then a half-time for sandwiches... 2 hours and you are totally done.

2 college football games takes like 7 hours.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
BTW, I've never fallen asleep on a soccer match but baseball or golf is a guaranteed nap.
football outside my favorite teams is also a nap.

i watch most NBA games on DVR now so I can skip commercials.

LOL...........so you are comparing going to a soccer game live at a stadium to watching something on TV?

Are you saying that you woudnlt fall asleep watching a bunch of guys play keep away for a 0-0 tie on your couch? I love to play soccer, but the sport is on par with baseball or bass fishing.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I'm going to watch Germany's match against Sweden this weekend. It's just for socializing. Don't care about the game.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I like rugby. It truly is remarkable how it and soccer can somehow get by without stopping the game 50 times.

But what cracks me up is how conditioned Americans are to TV time outs. Some people almost seem offended if the concept is criticized.
It's all they know so like most people they lash out in ignorance.

GMO415

Reaction score
I work with some third world country guys and they're all into it....I can give two shhhh about it

rags747

Reaction score
Was house hunting in Sarasota last week so stopped at the Hard Rock in Hollywood for a few days on the way back to NY. WAS watching one of the matches poolside and mentioned to my wife how there were no commercials, board around the stadium always changes the advertising and how the NFL has commercials every 2 minutes. Never really into Worldcup in the past but learned to get into it from people at work who are from all around the world so we would always switch over from CNBC to the matches. Definitely an exciting game and the constant play is great, the NFL could learn a thing or two from them. I'm surprised that Jerry has not caught on to the constantly changing advertising around the ring of the stadium, would be a big revenue producer.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Cant be any more boring than 80% of games 1-0 or 1-1. No incentive to score when your up one goal. Just run out the clock.
I don’t think it’s boring. To each his own. I don’t watch Soccer until the World Cup and every time I watch I’m amazed at the talent of the top level Soccer players. I played Intramural Soccer in the Military and knows the game a bit. Ronaldo is freakin amazing.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I'm personally enjoying it as an England supporter, myself. But I can understand your sentiment. There have been some rather high scoring matches though, and some of the not so high scoring matches have been high energy. The match with England vs. Tunisia, for example, was actually quite entertaining.