World Cup

Flamma

Reaction score
oh yeah, I forgot those losers would advance, I got caught in the matrix of goals for and against.

They won't beat Portugal anyway so who cares.

Probably not. Even though Morocco and Iran can create just as many chances as Portugal, when it comes to finishing, taking corners and free kicks, they crap themselves.

csirl

Reaction score
Pundits in my area made the point that while this Argentian side has 3 to 4 world class players, there is little strength/depth beyond those players. Were of the view this is a good Croatian squad - better man for man than Argentina.

JBS

Reaction score
There's another European team losing to a non European team

There will be more

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
You're not considering the possibility Spain could tie Morocco. Then all Iran needed was a tie against Spain to advance.
I'm not counting that because it would be foolhardy to expect an ousted Morocco to tie a win-needing Spain.
Win versus either side (lose to the other) and you get in for sure.
Tie both and you are extreme long shot to get in.

Iran would have guaranteed their way in with a Win over Spain. Playing to tie was quite simply stupid.
No other way around it.

This wasn't a case where they could fight 0-0 then get penalty kicks.

I questioned the strat at the time, noted Spain would likely score and that you need 6 points. That's exactly what has transpired.
I'm hardly Nostradamus but that was all extremely likely once Iran played 11 men and the Coach all behind the ball.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Pundits in my area made the point that while this Argentian side has 3 to 4 world class players, there is little strength/depth beyond those players. Were of the view this is a good Croatian squad - better man for man than Argentina.
That's likely accurate.
Messi has taken a step back as he ages unlike Ronaldo who has moved forward. Not shocking given their body types and game styles.
Argentina has a lot of overall talent and is top heavy in talent as well but they have not been that great for a couple years.
They've had a shocking lack of a proper manager.

Brazil has far more depth and speed then their rivals and coasted in qualifying while Argentina struggled.

No doubt in this tourney Croatia has been the far better side.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
I may have spoke too soon. Serbia looks like they are losing their legs since the 25 minute mark. If the first half ends 1-0, Serbia may need some early subs in the 2nd half to finish this game.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I may have spoke too soon. Serbia looks like they are losing their legs since the 25 minute mark. If the first half ends 1-0, Serbia may need some early subs in the 2nd half to finish this game.

Still, it's 1-0 to Serbia at the halftime break. That's really not bad considering that Switzerland managed to hold Brazil to a 1-1 draw.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
Serbia might lose to Brazil but Serbia is going to physically beat them up bad and Neymar might not make it out of there without serious injury. The Serbs will target Neymar and the refs will let them play. Brazil should be nervous.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Serbia might lose to Brazil but Serbia is going to physically beat them up bad and Neymar might not make it out of there without serious injury. The Serbs will target Neymar and the refs will let them play. Brazil should be nervous.

I agree with you there. That group has been the Group of Blood this tournament. Brazil's in quite the pickle aren't they? On one hand, they could consider sitting Neymar for this match, but, if they lose, they're out.