World Cup

daschoo

Slanje Va
Reaction score
Gascoigne, that great coulda been of English Footie, if only He'd have had the burning desire to be the best of a Ronaldo or Charlton, He could have been an all-time great.
Instead, all He ever won were a few trophies with Rangers, a poor return on that kind of talent.
Platt was a try-hard type who got everything He could from what He had, no complaints with Him.

He's adored up here by that mob and certainly would never have to buy a drink in Glasgow which I guess is a win for him. No doubt a great player but just always came across as a prick of a man albeit I'm biased. In saying that obviously wouldn't wish the issues he's had on anyone and a lot of the prickish stuff was just him being thick ie playing the flute at parkhead.
Platt had a great career for, as best I remember, a fairly limited talent.
Fair play to both of them having the balls to go abroad though

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
no, but I did live in Quebec until I was 14. I'm purebred Scottish background which might be the reason. I just usually hate the English players, only Platt, Lineker Beckham and Gascoigne were someone I could stomach. Kane is pretty good. I hate Sterling, hated Terry, Gerard, Lampard and Rio Ferdinand.

I do cheer for France though.
No love for Kevin Keegan?

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
So who will win the Federation of International Flopball Association World Cup?.

I have not watched a game since team USA is not playing. However, from what I understand, the Flopball is top notch this year.

csirl

Reaction score
The English go on about 1966 too much. It has become a millstone around the teams neck.

In hindsight, the best English team since 66 was Bobby Robsons. Great manager, good bunch of playere, but the English media gave them such a hard time.

I think the current England team is too inexperienced to win.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
Belgium should win easily today vs Tunisia. I'm curious to see if Mexico will stay focused or if they will fall apart after their big win vs Germany a few days ago. If Germany loses vs Sweden today that will be it for Germany with a early return back home.

Londonboy

Reaction score
If Germany doesn't advance it becomes almost anyone's Cup. Brazil doesn't look like a powerhouse so far in this Cup.
Most of the WC's in My memory were won by teams that didn't look especially impressive in the early stages, it's as much about resilience and fortitude and finding a way to progress as it is about dazzling skill and great performances.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
This game is over 4-1 now. I'm going to do my miles now, see ya's for the Mexico game.

Flamma

Reaction score
Most of the WC's in My memory were won by teams that didn't look especially impressive in the early stages, it's as much about resilience and fortitude and finding a way to progress as it is about dazzling skill and great performances.

You're absolutely correct if my memory serves me as well. Many times it takes a few games to lose the butterflies and work better as a team. Very similar to the NFL where teams later on in the season are nothing like they were early on. That said, man I miss that 2002 USA team.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
That would be quite the shock, wouldn't it? Especially if both Brazil and Argentina fail to advance. Honestly, this is really clearing things up for England quite nicely for the WC if we can handle Panama.
i still expect both brazil and even pathetic form argentina to advance.
crazy how bad argentina has been but can still likely advance with a single win.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Handball should be from the elbow down. Shouldn't be handball if it hits the bicep area.
that was very close to what happened with colombia but that's the exact way i would have called that one as well.
clear handball in box, penalty kick but no red.
same 1-0 result but would have been a final 45 mins with even sides which is at least worth watching.