World Cup

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
i still expect both brazil and even pathetic form argentina to advance.
crazy how bad argentina has been but can still likely advance with a single win.
If Argentina beats Nigeria they will still need Croatia to beat or tie Iceland no? I'm thinking Croatia might sit a few players for that game and Iceland might get the win.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Yup, I can see Brazil advancing, but Argentina is in a world of trouble, aren't they?
Not really. Amazingly enough.
They play Nigeria and with a win ensure 4 points is enough to advance.
Even is Iceland amazingly beats Croatia it'd go to goal scored and Argentina merely needs to score more this game than Iceland.
They would likely be the worst form team to advance but it seems rather likely to me.
Now they gotta win versus us a decent Nigerian side but I think you pick Argentina 9 times out f 10 in that match up.

Brazil is the deepest non-German side in the tourney. With only needing a tie to advance I could see them use Neymar on bench in case they need him as a sub.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
If Argentina beats Nigeria they will still need Croatia to beat or tie Iceland no? I'm thinking Croatia might sit a few players for that game and Iceland might get the win.
Nope. if Iceland and Argentina both win they both have 4 points.
They have 1 goal scored each this tourney so the difference of next game would make the difference.
Croatia has been the class of the group and is far better than Iceland but I could easily see a 1-0 Iceland result.
That means Argentina beating Nigeria 2-0 gets them in.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Not really. Amazingly enough.
They play Nigeria and with a win ensure 4 points is enough to advance.
Even is Iceland amazingly beats Croatia it'd go to goal scored and Argentina merely needs to score more this game than Iceland.
They would likely be the worst form team to advance but it seems rather likely to me.
Now they gotta win versus us a decent Nigerian side but I think you pick Argentina 9 times out f 10 in that match up.

Brazil is the deepest non-German side in the tourney. With only needing a tie to advance I could see them use Neymar on bench in case they need him as a sub.

Yeah, I'd reckon they'd try to sub him on if needed. That's probably the best way to go about this as I reckon Costa Rica will be looking to hit him a lot.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd reckon they'd try to sub him on if needed. That's probably the best way to go about this as I reckon Costa Rica will be looking to hit him a lot.
I actually think CR would relax a lot. They are already out and a lot of their guys play in Brazil as professionals. The country would not be safe for them if they injured Neymar, or Coutinho lol.
But I do think Brazil wants to rest Neymar for the knockout games and they do have insane depth.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I actually think CR would relax a lot. They are already out and a lot of their guys play in Brazil as professionals. The country would not be safe for them if they injured Neymar, or Coutinho lol.
But I do think Brazil wants to rest Neymar for the knockout games and they do have insane depth.

I dunno. We'll see how Costa Rica plays this.

JBS

Reaction score
Ozil and Khedira dropped...good choice by Low..I think I would have started Goretzka instead of Draxler though..Brandt should also be starting

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
Germany going to start scoring today? Once that first goal goes in it might be off and running for them. If they stay cold they will be going home early.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
That wasn't a penalty vs Germany? Ref made a mistake i think.

Clear penalty!

Bigdog

Reaction score
That wasn't a penalty vs Germany? Ref made a mistake i think.

Clear penalty!
Yup sure did. That was a clear penalty. Germany needs to be careful about pushing a lot forward as they will be susceptible to the counter attack

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
Anyone know the best app to catch games on mobile device? Will be away from TV next week.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
Yeah they need to get going. I hate the Sweden bunker down approach but if works for them so be it.
Hard to imagine Germany will lose 1-0. Sweden needs another goal i think and that might only get a tie at 2-2.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
Wow Sweden should be winning 2-0. Ref missed a penalty in the box, plus Sweden had a few golden opportunities including one to end the half.

JBS

Reaction score
Yeah they need to get going. I hate the Sweden bunker down approach but if works for them so be it.

It's their only chance to compete in this match...once the spaces open up they will be exposed..their tactics have been spot on

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
Everybody thought this same thing vs Mexico. You never know!
I was thinking that also vs Mexico. If Germany can't score one goal in two games then they don't deserve to advance regardless of their talent level.