World Cup

Londonboy

Reaction score
I'm starting to think the final might well be France vs. England. Go England of course.
Let's just focus on Sweden.
If England play France in the Final, I dread to think how many times I'll have heard the St Crispin's Day speech from Henry V by the time Kick-Off rolls around.
"We few, We happy few"

Vegas_Cowboy

Reaction score
"Soccer" s a far better game if we are being honest and with CTE it imho overtakes football in the next 10-15 years but at no point is "soccer" a more physical game than football.

Football gives you a helmet which is essentially a weapon and you aim it directly at other people's heads.

Not in this country. The best athletes in America are going to stick with either Football, Basketball or Baseball. Guys like LeBron James aren't going to be found in the World Cup anytime soon.

Let's be honest. Some of the best soccer teams out there are third world countries that are so poor, they just have to scrounge up a ball and 4 trash cans as a goal on each side. That's how they grew up. Didn't cost much to learn and play. Many different options here.

I agree that soccer takes a lot more cardio as you are always running around. The flopping drama is ridiculous though. I understand it's part of the strategy but damn. If you have to resort to that, there's something wrong with the sport. JMHO.

JBS

Reaction score
England fans - Worried, nervous, or confident? All three at once?

I am feeling pretty confident about Croatia today, only thing that could play a factor is Russia playing at home. At any other sight Croatia wins by 2 goals NP.

Can Croatia win the world cup? Realistically speaking? I was let down mightily in their performance vs the Danes

Londonboy

Reaction score
England fans - Worried, nervous, or confident? All three at once?

I am feeling pretty confident about Croatia today, only thing that could play a factor is Russia playing at home. At any other sight Croatia wins by 2 goals NP.
All three lol

Flamma

Reaction score
No mate it will be 16 years.
Brazil won it in 2002 and were Champs until 2006.
This will be a very impressive 4th straight win for Europe but 4 winners is 16 years.

Keep in mind he said, "By the time the next WC rolls around it will have been 2 decades". Next Cup is in 2022. That's exactly 2 decades.

Flamma

Reaction score
Not in this country. The best athletes in America are going to stick with either Football, Basketball or Baseball. Guys like LeBron James aren't going to be found in the World Cup anytime soon.

Absolutely agree. Not even secondary athletes trend towards soccer. It's almost considered a novelty sport here.

Let's be honest. Some of the best soccer teams out there are third world countries that are so poor, they just have to scrounge up a ball and 4 trash cans as a goal on each side. That's how they grew up. Didn't cost much to learn and play. Many different options here.

I take issue with this because growing up poor myself, so poor that all we had to do was find a basketball, a run down court with no nets or chains that were half off and play all day. From sun up to sunset.

I agree that soccer takes a lot more cardio as you are always running around. The flopping drama is ridiculous though. I understand it's part of the strategy but damn. If you have to resort to that, there's something wrong with the sport. JMHO.

We are on the same page here. I love the sport, but this is the one thing that aggravates me the most. Everyone knows it's a foul, get the hell up and stop playing the sissy to draw a card. Anytime an American football player rolls around in agony you know he's either out for the game or the season. These guys get right up and continue playing. Until they start getting penalized for it, it will continue.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

As CTE stuff kicks in I think you'll see football shrink as it does only so many kids can play baseball or basketball so soccer will rise.
I played all 4 sports but football was by far my favorite and if I had a son he wouldn't touch football except flag.
He'd play soccer first then basketball... conditioning is the first thing to obtain in sports.
If he was gifted with a cannon for an arm he'd pitch in baseball of course.

My oldest daughter played flag football and I coached her there. But I'm not sure I would do that again 10 years later because of CTE concerns. Even in flag there was a lot of very physical play.

The majority of our best athletes come from dirt poor areas. We just haven;t gotten soccer to those areas yet... except the immigrant communities who bring it with them.
But with MLS academies targeting them more things will start to shift.
There's simply too much money to be made in soccer on the world stage for kids growing up here to ignore it much longer.