World Series: Texas Rangers vs St. Louis Cardinals

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
I woke up 2 or 3 times last night for various reasons and my mind immediately went to that terrible game. Ugh. If they don't win tonight, I'm going to be thinking about game 6 for a long long time.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
That has easily got to be the biggest choke job ever.

I hardly slept at all last night I felt so sick after that.

That was absolutely unreal and easily the most painful game I've ever seen.

After a sickening performance like that, I would say they don't deserve a chance at game seven.

...but that isn't the case. Go Rangers. haha

cowboys102030

Reaction score
Heisenberg;4206845 said:
I woke up 2 or 3 times last night for various reasons and my mind immediately went to that terrible game.
This. I've never contemplated suicide so heavily. I know it's just a sports game, but I am so, soooo upset. I can't even watch the game tonight, and not by choice... I guess it's better that way.

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
Ugh, not a Rangers fan, but rooting for them for you guys. I see some 1986 in this, but you never know, could be 1975. I hope they win. It will bode well for the Cowboys on Sunday as well. :)

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Last night was easily the worst sports loss I've watched in my lifetime.

The 1994 NFC Championship Game really sucked and still hurts to some degree but last night just kills me.

Robbieac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
We'll get em tonight.

Start off with Harrison.

Then we have CJ and Holland out of the pen.

After tonight is over, we'll be laughing about last night. :) :)

Tricericon

Reaction score
I actually wasn't that bothered by last night. I mean, sure, I'd rather have won, but so many absurd things had to happen for them to lose that just have a hard time getting upset about it.

We SHOULD win tonight, since Carpenter isn't a good pitcher on short rest and the Cardinals just won their Super Bowl, and then we'll be able to say the Texas Rangers won the craziest World Series ever.

However, if we lose tonight, I might revise that top opinion there. We'll see.

Go Rangers!

Alweezy

Reaction score
Fat Toad;4206907 said:
I actually wasn't that bothered by last night. I mean, sure, I'd rather have won, but so many absurd things had to happen for them to lose that just have a hard time getting upset about it.
!

When you really think about how things unfolded, it really wasn't that absurd. That's the scary part. Before the 7th I'd have bought this, but when the championship was on the line... we choked plain and simple. Thankfully that was last night, and today is a new day.

Stautner

Reaction score
cowboyeric8;4206754 said:
Yeah, and I mean you may be right as well. It's easy to look back and see different things everyone may have done. I'm just glad I'm not the manager right now.

Yeah I can't get past the Cruz play, any of other outfielders catch that ball and it's not even close. I believe that. But oh well, you live to play another day.

Come on Rangers, you got one more in you I just know it.

While I agree Cruz could have caught that ball, and probably should have caught the ball, I disagree that any other outfield could have caught it easily. You have to keep in mid that it was not a high fly where there was time to camp out under it as it came down, I was a line drive that he would have had to catch running at a pretty good pace just before running into the wall. It was catchable, but it was difficult as well.

Nevertheless, there were lots of moments. Andrus taking too much time and not getting the 3rd out on a routine ground ball, the passed ball that allowed the runners to move up so the Berkman single scored 2 instead of 1, too many pitches on 0-2 and 1-2 counts our pitchers put in hittable spots, the Young errors (I thought the one should have gone to Colby), all the runners left on base .....

I haven't felt like this after watching a game on TV since Dwight Clark's "Catch".

Stautner

Reaction score
Alweezy;4206923 said:
When you really think about how things unfolded, it really wasn't that absurd. That's the scary part. Before the 7th I'd have bought this, but when the championship was on the line... we choked plain and simple. Thankfully that was last night, and today is a new day.

We didn't choke any more than they did. The Cards wre giving up big hits in crucial moments too. The Cards just got one more that mattered.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Stautner;4206940 said:
We didn't choke any more than they did. The Cards wre giving up big hits in crucial moments too. The Cards just got one more that mattered.

We had the LEAD and lost it several times and then went on to lose the game. We choked more than they did. That much is clear.

If he had been the other way around (the team with the lead all those times won) then it would be the other way around.)

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Rangers choked...it's not even debatable. When you're one strike away from winning it all, every team would take that opportunity. When you get TWO of those chances and can't convert...epic chokejob. After Oliver/Feldman couldn't convert the save, you pretty much knew it was over and it was only a matter of time before the Cardinals got the walk-off.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Red Dragon;4206770 said:
This is very similar to the 1986 World Series and 2003 ALCS.

If the Rangers lose this World Series, it will be one of the worst sports defeats I've ever known.

This. If they don't win tonight, they become the new cursed team and despite this team not even being in their prime yet, I would be shocked to see them ever come back to a World Series for years, maybe decades. Coming into this seres, even if we didn't win it all, I would've said that we were more like the early 1990's Braves that had a young Glavine/Smoltz and just couldn't win it all until a few years later when they had more experience and added Greg Maddux. But a choke job like this has gotten me thinking we are more like the 1986 Red Sox

BlueStar3398

Reaction score
Robbieac;4206885 said:
We'll get em tonight.

Start off with Harrison.

Then we have CJ and Holland out of the pen.

After tonight is over, we'll be laughing about last night. :) :)

Rangers in 7!!

They haven't had back-to-back losses in 46 games. They win it all tonight!! (Last night gave me heart palpitations) :laugh2:

Stautner

Reaction score
Sam I Am;4206968 said:
We had the LEAD and lost it several times and then went on to lose the game. We choked more than they did. That much is clear.

If he had been the other way around (the team with the lead all those times won) then it would be the other way around.)

Most of the time late in the game we had the lead only because we had one more time at bat than the Cards did.

CowTech

Reaction score
Wish I could be optimistic. But I don't see how we win tonight. I'm one grouchy mothereffer today, that's all I know.

Royal Laegotti

Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy!
Reaction score
Mega disappointed after they lost last night. I'm just trying to keep it in perspective to stay sain. I keep telling myself if they don't win the series it will be like every other year they didn't win it all but it just took longer this year, not to win it.

I have just really been trying to enjoy the fact that the Rangers have made it this far. 4 years ago if someone would've told me the Rangers would play in game 7 of the World Series I wouldn't have believed it but I would dang sure take it.

I just hope the Rangers players have the mindset that win or lose we have only one more game left, forget the pressure and give their best effort.
;)

Stautner

Reaction score
CowTech;4207014 said:
Wish I could be optimistic. But I don't see how we win tonight. I'm one grouchy mothereffer today, that's all I know.

The odds are definitely in the Cards favor tonight. I think I'm too stunned to be grouchy. I'm more like a zombie.

Rogah

Reaction score
Stautner;4206940 said:
The term choking usually refers to either (A) an overwhelming favorite that fails to win or (B) a team that blows a big lead. Obviously, the bigger the lead (and the later in the game you have that lead) the bigger the choke job.

(A) doesn't really apply here but (B) certainly does. Sorry, but with 2 2-run leads needing only 3 outs, that was a choke job pure and simple. You can't say the Cardinals choked because they never had the lead (except very briefly in the 1st inning).

A lot of people around the country are saying there's no way the Rangers bounce back after this, but this game reminds me of 1975's game 6 where the Red Sox won an incredible on a Carlton Fisk 12th inning home run. Despite all the emotion, a depleted Red Sox team couldn't close out the deal the following night at home.