World Series: Texas Rangers vs St. Louis Cardinals

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
cowboyeric8;4187494 said:
I'm a die hard Rangers fan. But I never expected what has happened these last two years. In a way I'm still in shock. Last year I was happy being AL Champs, heck I was happy winning a series. But now I want a World Series and I won't be near as happy as last year if we don't finish the job.

I didn't expect back to back World Series appearances, but I did expect to compete. I remember what the Rangers were doing back in the late 80s and early 90s when Bobby V was here. They were building a winner from within and then Tom Hicks bought the team and derailed the process by trying to buy a winner. When I heard they were trying to sign A-Rod at the winter meetings that year, I had a terrible sense of foreboding for the Rangers future.

The Rangers finally restarted the process around 5-6 years ago and this is where it took us. When I saw them doing that, I told my wife how excited I was and said we would finally compete again in a few years. She rolled her eyes at me and said, "okay, whatever you say."

Last year when we knocked out her Yankees, she didn't cry or get mad. She came up to me, kissed me and said. "You were right. The Rangers have arrived." She also said she would pull for them to win a championship. Of course they didn't that year. Hopefully this year. She is still pulling for them. :)

Go Rangers!

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
crazytown41;4186684 said:
Yes, You guys beat Verlander in a game that was delayed twice and scored a whopping 3 runs. Congrats. :)

Last time I checked game 1 was in St.Louis. Not in that launching pad.

Cards in 6.

Hi. Busch stadium is a launching pad too. (ie NOT a pitchers park) Thanks for playing! ;)

Stautner

Reaction score
crazytown41;4186684 said:
Yes, You guys beat Verlander in a game that was delayed twice and scored a whopping 3 runs. Congrats. :)

Last time I checked game 1 was in St.Louis. Not in that launching pad.

Cards in 6.

Apparently you have a few misconceptions. First, you seem to think Carpenter is somewhere near Verlander's level, when the reality is he wasn't even at CJ Wilson's level this season. He was more at the Matt Harrison level. Second, you seem to think that Carpenter has been a force in the playoffs, when the reality is he had one outstanding game and the others he didn't get past the 5th inning. Finally you seem to think one pitcher is all that matters without regard to the other 3-5 games that may be played in which he wont pitch.

As for not playing in a launching pad, that works both ways. Pujols/Berkman/Holiday get the same effect from hitter friendly or pitcher friendly parks that Hamilton/Cruz/Napoli/Beltre/Kinsler do. The Rangers still have more power top to bottom than St. Louis, so I don't see the problem.

Fat Toad;4187323 said:
I'm rooting for them, and I never pick a team to win that I am rooting for. It always ends badly.

I hope you weren't expecting some insightful analysis here from me.

I just assumed you might have thought the Cards were the better team in some area or another. Gut feelings are fine if that's what you are going with.

Mitcha68

Reaction score
Air Force One;4187671 said:
You got that right. If I'd known that the 1995-1996 SB was going to be our last, I'd have enjoyed it more. By that time though I was spoiled and thought that we would have many, many more to enjoy.

I enjoyed the heck out of those. That's why I don't totally get bent out of shape if the season doesn't end in a Super Bowl. What does get to me is consistently bad football.

Tricericon

Reaction score
Stautner;4188273 said:
I just assumed you might have thought the Cards were the better team in some area or another. Gut feelings are fine if that's what you are going with.

It's not really a "gut feeling" so much as me KNOWING my gut is biased and intentionally picking against it, more for fear of jinxing it as anything else. I am only superstitious when it comes to sports.

Anyway, my gut feeling says the Cards will be lucky if the series goes 5 games. Go Rangers!

Stautner

Reaction score
Fat Toad;4188689 said:
It's not really a "gut feeling" so much as me KNOWING my gut is biased and intentionally picking against it, more for fear of jinxing it as anything else. I am only superstitious when it comes to sports.

Anyway, my gut feeling says the Cards will be lucky if the series goes 5 games. Go Rangers!

Ahh, the reverse gut feeling.

Air Force One

Reaction score
Mitcha68;4188660 said:
I enjoyed the heck out of those. That's why I don't totally get bent out of shape if the season doesn't end in a Super Bowl. What does get to me is consistently bad football.
Oh I did too. I guess the term I should have used is I took them for granted. After going to and winning the SB 3 out of 4 years I kinda forgot how hard it actually is to get there. Plus I was in my early twenties and at that age it's easy to take things for granted and now that I'm 40 I would really love just one SB win...I could really savor it and appreciate it.

I agree with you about the consistently bad football. That's exactly what's it's been....consistently bad. Sure there have been a few good spurts here and there but they always revert back.

StylisticS

Reaction score
crazytown41;4186229 said:
I like the Cards in 6. Theyll have a fresh Carpenter for game 1. That's better than any pupu platter that the Rangers throw out there.

Cards have been best team in baseball since September. Don't see them stopping now

What makes you say that? In September, Texas went 19-6 and Detroit went 20-6. St. Louis went 18-8. Seems the two hottest teams entering the playoffs both met in the ALCS. Texas also defeated a great pitching staff in Tampa and defeated Shields while doing it. Texas also performed pretty well against Verlander. It's not like STL starting pitching has been all that great. Their bullpen is good, though.

Stautner

Reaction score
StylisticS;4188907 said:
What makes you say that? In September, Texas went 19-6 and Detroit went 20-6. St. Louis went 18-8. Seems the two hottest teams entering the playoffs both met in the ALCS. Texas also defeated a great pitching staff in Tampa and defeated Shields while doing it. Texas also performed pretty well against Verlander. It's not like STL starting pitching has been all that great. Their bullpen is good, though.

I think he is looking at that great game Carpenter threw against Halliday in Game 5 of the NLDS and assuming that has been Carpenter's standard through the season and in the playoffs, and that simply is not the case. Carpenter is a good veteran pitcher, but he is nowhere near the level of guys like Halliday and Verlander who you expect dominance from every single outing.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Sam I Am;4186031 said:
For the Yankees that would be almost a billion dollars worth of losing. ;)

I want to lol

but is that the best ya got? lol

If we go by facts. When the Yankees have gone after and paid for the megastars... they have rarely won WS.

People refuse to admit - its ok by me its just not the case.

2001-2008. The Yanks spent a ton of money on Mussina, Giambi, Randy Johnson, etc etc, = no WS wins
1996 - 2000 = alot of farm players and some small FA signings, guys in their twilight with a few good years left = 4 WS in 5 years.

2009 is the only year they bought one - I admit that

Truth be told. If Texas can win it - I will be happy for them!

juck

Reaction score
HERE we go baby Get out the Boomstick Nelly!!!!!!

Mitcha68

Reaction score
I can't wait!

Great to see the Rangers here again. I feel especially good for my dad, who is 70. He's been a fan since day one and its great to see him enjoy this. You never know when we might see this again. Dang, think I'm having a sports cry! :eek:: :D Go Rangers!

reddyuta

Reaction score
I dont think this one is going 7 games,one team is going to start strong and dominate the series.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
reddyuta;4190293 said:
I dont think this one is going 7 games,one team is going to start strong and dominate the series.

Man, I hope it's the Rangers. I so bad want them to get a World Series Championship.

juck

Reaction score
http://i5.***BLOCKED***/albums/y194/juck/sc_dws_img_10-10_1030dnlilron-large.jpg
Lets get this started!!!

juck

Reaction score
http://i5.***BLOCKED***/albums/y194/juck/fOcRB.gif