Worst day in Cowboys history

Landryhat73

Reaction score
Maybe I'm wrong here but isn't Prescott's total cap hit absorbed if he plays out this final year of his contract at a 59 million $ hit?
Zach won't retire.
No - If he isn't on the team next year the least it will be is $36,460,000. I don't think Zack retire either but if he isn't on the team its a $26,460,000 in dead money.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No - If he isn't on the team next year the least it will be is $36,460,000. I don't think Zack retire either but if he isn't on the team its a $26,460,000 in dead money.
Think that 36 million 2025 $ # applies if he is a Post June 1st cut?
Can anyone please clarify this point?

jujoboys

Reaction score
What is the point of tanking in 2024? The CAP situation in 2025 is even worse.
Next year's CAP depends heavily on what you do with Dak. If you just let him play out his current contract without any restructures or extensions then you can let him walk via free agency next year with a $36 million dollar dead cap hit. So let's pretend we wanted to tank this year and move on from Dak next year.

We could leave Dak's contract as is.
Cut Demarcus Lawrence
Cut Michael Gallup after June 1st
Cut Brandin Cooks
Cut Vander Esch
Let Dak walk via free agency in 2025

That would leave us with $20 million CAP space in 2024. We could use that $20 million to sign the rookies and a bunch of scrubs to fill out the roster. Only sign the scrubs to 1 year contracts so they don't affect the cap in 2025.
That would give us $115 million in CAP space for 2025 minus the rookies 2nd year CAP hit. Of course we could trade all of our draft picks this year for future draft picks next year and just plan on ruling the 2025 draft.

Need additional room in 2024? Go ahead and trade Ceedee and gain another $17 million in cap space. If you don't use it in 2024 it can be rolled over to 2025. Plus you get the draft picks from the Lamb deal
If you want more draft picks and don't want to pay Parsons then go ahead and trade him. Also keeps his 5th year option money from hitting the CAP in 2025.

You can tear down this entire thing as much as you want to and start over. However, I will give you one warning on doing that. Just remember who would be rebuilding the team and using those draft picks and cap space. The same 2 idiots that have been doing it since Jerry ran Jimmy out of town.

Big_D

Reaction score
Everything is fine. Jerry and his moron kid have the situation completely under control. lol

Jarntt

Reaction score
Anyone who thinks what happened to this franchise today is anything other than a total disaster is fooling themselves, You are eating Jerry’s cheese. Lost three top contributors as far as number of snaps played in the last five years. In return they signed 0 players.
I really don’t know if I can support this team any longer. 44 years as a fan of this team. I really don’t know if I can continue to put my heart into this team any longer. To think they are doing anything other than tanking for 2024. Is not realistic.
Talk about being over dramatic. It's not even our worst day in 2024 :rolleyes:

And don't confuse this comment with me not being pissed we didn't hit FA running

kevm3

Reaction score
We have several holes on this team and yet all the other teams are actively plugging away and yet we're doing NOTHING. To think that they are strategically rebuilding is laughable. It's the exact same formula they've always done. Go cheap in FA and then try to fill the team via the draft, which is laughable since we have a small draft this year due to the Gilmore/Cooks trade and we're picking late in the round. We have to find 2 starters on the O-line, a starting runningback, a linebacker and potentially a DT. Anyone realistically think we'll be able to fill all of those positions with primarily the draft only?

What 'rebuilding' are we doing? I'd be fine with a 'rebuild' if we had a coach that we gave complete reigns to in a Harbaugh. This team is potentially dumpster fire territory this year unless Zimmer miraculously transforms the defense. Next year, they are going to run the 'smoke' rumors of Bellichick coming, but Bill doesn't want to come into a rebuild project. THIS was the year to try him out and go all in. He's not coming here next year if the team sucks.

We're literally planning on going into this year with LESS than the same guys that got blew out by a 9 and 8 green bay.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
Holy crap, wee bit dramatic??

Easily many many worse days...

- Jimmy Johnson firing
- Michael Irvin career ending injury
-roof collapse paralyzed coach
-Dez non catch
-2007 giants playoff loss
...on and on and on.....

It's day one of FA, this team never spends on FA
I think it's a personal thing.

This could be the moment that this particular fan is now seeing Jones for who he is, and thus a sense of hopelessness is setting in.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
We have several holes on this team and yet all the other teams are actively plugging away and yet we're doing NOTHING. To think that they are strategically rebuilding is laughable. It's the exact same formula they've always done. Go cheap in FA and then try to fill the team via the draft, which is laughable since we have a small draft this year due to the Gilmore/Cooks trade and we're picking late in the round. We have to find 2 starters on the O-line, a starting runningback, a linebacker and potentially a DT. Anyone realistically think we'll be able to fill all of those positions with primarily the draft only?

What 'rebuilding' are we doing? I'd be fine with a 'rebuild' if we had a coach that we gave complete reigns to in a Harbaugh. This team is potentially dumpster fire territory this year unless Zimmer miraculously transforms the defense. Next year, they are going to run the 'smoke' rumors of Bellichick coming, but Bill doesn't want to come into a rebuild project. THIS was the year to try him out and go all in. He's not coming here next year if the team sucks.

We're literally planning on going into this year with LESS than the same guys that got blew out by a 9 and 8 green bay.
Truth

Jerry claimed he would be going all in, but that's clearly not going to happen. Same ol', same ol'.

I, personally, did not expect anything different. But I can't fault fans who had hope.

1942willys

Reaction score
Jerry Jones should probably be thinking that he doesn't have enough time left to tank a season. His mindset should be that every season now could be his last chance.

On the contrary, he could be getting more desperate.
desperation usually means taking big risks
I doubt Jerry thinks he has that little time left or he would be

pacy

82 WITTEN 82
Reaction score
9315bac3e03f94d72dcd17416ee4a27b.jpg
A Phoenix is not a real thing.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Anyone who thinks what happened to this franchise today is anything other than a total disaster is fooling themselves, You are eating Jerry’s cheese. Lost three top contributors as far as number of snaps played in the last five years. In return they signed 0 players.
I really don’t know if I can support this team any longer. 44 years as a fan of this team. I really don’t know if I can continue to put my heart into this team any longer. To think they are doing anything other than tanking for 2024. Is not realistic.
I think that Green Bay game was the worst day in Cowboys history. It drove home a point that we all knew deep down but could trick ourselves into denying... even when every possible thing fell in place to give them the 2 seed, they are never going to win while the Jones goons own this team and run it like a pillowy soft country club. Just is what it is. Yesterday was just a rinse and repeat of the yearly ineptitude.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
They are tanking.
They've got to clear out Dak and McCarthy. Find out if Lance has what it takes, if not we'll certainly be in position to draft a stud QB finally after 35 years.

I'm totally fine with this off season. It has to be done.
I get what you are saying, but to do this after your Owner /GM says you are all in ???
Getting your hopes/expectations up even higher before you dash them ???
Makes absolutely no sense!
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
This is far from the worst day... not to sound sarcastic, but this is just business as usual for the Cowboys.

Jackie Smith dropping a game tying TD in the Super Bowl was a much worse day.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Maybe I'm wrong here but isn't Prescott's total cap hit absorbed if he plays out this final year of his contract at a 59 million $ hit?
Zach won't retire.
No, Dallas has moved a ton of his cap into future years when he’s not even on the team anymore. So either he signs an extension and that dead cap in future years stays there and adds to those extension cap years, or he leaves after this year and all the future cap hits accelerate and all hit at once in 2025

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Think that 36 million 2025 $ # applies if he is a Post June 1st cut?
Can anyone please clarify this point?
It’s 36m if he’s post-June 1st or plays out his final year, because it’s the same thing for 2025