Worst day in Cowboys history

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Anyone who thinks what happened to this franchise today is anything other than a total disaster is fooling themselves, You are eating Jerry’s cheese. Lost three top contributors as far as number of snaps played in the last five years. In return they signed 0 players.
I really don’t know if I can support this team any longer. 44 years as a fan of this team. I really don’t know if I can continue to put my heart into this team any longer. To think they are doing anything other than tanking for 2024. Is not realistic.
HAHAHAHAHAHA. Worst day in history? Are you mad?

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
If anybody truly thinks losing a couple free agents yesterday constitutes the worst day in Cowboys history, you are either very young or have a ton of suppressed memories.

gtdRR

Reaction score
They are tanking.
They've got to clear out Dak and McCarthy. Find out if Lance has what it takes, if not we'll certainly be in position to draft a stud QB finally after 35 years.

I'm totally fine with this off season. It has to be done.
That's if they stay on track. You have faith that Jerruh and Stefun won't do something stupid in the next couple months?

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Anyone who thinks what happened to this franchise today is anything other than a total disaster is fooling themselves, You are eating Jerry’s cheese. Lost three top contributors as far as number of snaps played in the last five years. In return they signed 0 players.
I really don’t know if I can support this team any longer. 44 years as a fan of this team. I really don’t know if I can continue to put my heart into this team any longer. To think they are doing anything other than tanking for 2024. Is not realistic.
:hammer: ....Jerry Jones will go down in history as the owner than killed Americans team.

Swagger

Reaction score
I thought it was quite revealing the other day when Prescott when asked about the All in comment by JJ and he responded something like hey yeah I can't wait to see what it actually is but haven't had any details yet or words to that effect. It translated to me something like, sounds good to me but I'm getting paid the bag so I'm interested how we will be going all in.

In other words I think there's a stand off between the two and normally the policy is no player is bigger than the team...but will JJ cave in and embarrass himself...

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
But is he "all in" as in finally doing it right? As in the route that won him titles?
If this were normal Jerry, Dak would be extended, Smith, Pollard would still be here and we'd be adding players.
Don't understand the plan presently.
Maybe it will be clear in time?
Right now it appears to be a mess.

Reaction score
They are tanking.
They've got to clear out Dak and McCarthy. Find out if Lance has what it takes, if not we'll certainly be in position to draft a stud QB finally after 35 years.

But why not trade Dak?

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
The worst day for me was that historically bad 2009 draft....multiple trade downs that ended up with some dud named Brewster...being our first pick. Then Jerry had the audacity to sell it as a special teams draft....and everything would be fine.

Big_D

Reaction score
What makes it bad is they just chose to do nothing. You finally have a 12 win team 3 years in a row and getting that close is extremely difficult. But yet the way they treated the past 2 days have really been beyond anything they've done in years past. They took a golden opportunity to get over that hump, spit in it's face and threw it in the garbage. Anyone thinking they have a shot this year are truly fooling themselves. If they wanted to seriously improve in 24 it had to start yesterday. At least 1 quality guy in any area. And that well already ran dry.

plasticman

Reaction score
They are tanking.

They might be in a position to draft a quarterback. However, as to whether that QB will be a "stud" isn't going to be determined by his draft position but by the expertise of those making the decision to draft him.

Even if the Cowboys had the #1 overall pick would they draft an Elway/Aikman/Manning instead of a Couch/Russel/Winston? Jerry pouted for a month when the rest of the franchise executives prevented him from drafting Johnny Manziel. Does that inspire confidence?

The Cowboys aren't building anything, they don't even know that they are supposed to. They don't have a plan, they just have the typical offseason chaos and idea du jour.

The fact that they have been winning in the regular season on a consistent basis isn't the result of an improvement in Jerry or Stephen's perception in talent, it's a fluke. The scouting department is excellent but not in sync with the personnel required by the style of play required by the coaches.

The Cowboys should not be "blown up" because these franchise leaders lack the skill, talent and knowledge to resurrect them. It could be anothr 27 years just to get this close.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Anyone who was surprised by Jerry and Stephen letting these guys walk just hasn't been paying attention for the last couple of decades.
After their rookie contracts, we re-sign stars and let average guys walk.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They might be in a position to draft a quarterback. However, as to whether that QB will be a "stud" isn't going to be determined by his draft position but by the expertise of those making the decision to draft him.

Even if the Cowboys had the #1 overall pick would they draft an Elway/Aikman/Manning instead of a Couch/Russel/Winston? Jerry pouted for a month when the rest of the franchise executives prevented him from drafting Johnny Manziel. Does that inspire confidence?

The Cowboys aren't building anything, they don't even know that they are supposed to. They don't have a plan, they just have the typical offseason chaos and idea du jour.

The fact that they have been winning in the regular season on a consistent basis isn't the result of an improvement in Jerry or Stephen's perception in talent, it's a fluke. The scouting department is excellent but not in sync with the personnel required by the style of play required by the coaches.

The Cowboys should not be "blown up" because these franchise leaders lack the skill, talent and knowledge to resurrect them. It could be anothr 27 years just to get this close.
You could be right, history is definitely on your side.

I feel during TC last year when Dak was throwing picks daily something hit Jerry, maybe father time. Maybe a huge dose of reality. However, it seems he's different, wouldn't JERRY have done Dak's contract ? cleared space, signed Tyron, and brought in Henry?

Maybe I'm wrong but I see Jerry wanting more, finally going for a title the old fashioned way. A QB, a HC, Zimmer will not be a yes man, neither would Quinn, Mike is toast.
I'm feeling '90 all over again.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Ummm, for me, as a fan of this team for exactly half a century, this was about #5 ……… Jackie Smith’s drop, Dwight Clark’s *just puked in my mouth* catch, this pas GB game, and Patrick Crayton quitting on a route are ahead of this.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
:hammer: ....Jerry Jones will go down in history as the owner than killed Americans team.
After being the owner who took the worst team in the NFL to 3 SB wins in just a few years and going into the HOF.
Nope, I don’t think so.

GMO415

Reaction score
giphy.gif