Worst movie you ever saw?

honyock

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;4987616 said:
Costner would have been a bigger draw no doubt.

Not sure he could have done the character of Andy Duphrane to the level that Robbins did. Robbins does "soft-spoken" very well.

Yeah, I agree. Costner would've helped the box office but Robbins ended up being perfect for the part.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dexternjack;4986283 said:
That was probably "First Wives Club", man-hating at its finest.
I can't lie. I liked First Wives Club. It was hilarious.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Diogenes;4987639 said:
Perspective is a funny thing.
I liked the actresses in the movie. They're some of my favs.

I never really thought it was man-hating. To me, it was just a comedy. But I guess it could've been...if you're a man. It's not a movie I would've taken a date to see.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
WoodysGirl;4987649 said:
I liked the actresses in the movie. They're some of my favs.

I never really thought it was man-hating. To me, it was just a comedy. But I guess it could've been...if you're a man. It's not a movie I would've taken a date to see.

I never said it was a horrible movie, just man-hating some :)

I do like Goldie and Lane as actresses, see most of their movies.

LynnFoster

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;4987233 said:
I'm a huge fan of "man in rubber suit stomps the living bejesus out of some city" and I thought the 1998 version of "Godzilla" was dreadful.

What a total miss by Roland Emmerich.

I used to know a guy that did special effects on that version so we went to a showing in Santa Monica before the public release. It was cool, it was just for people who worked on it and their families so the main people on the film were telling kids how their Dad had helped so much with yatta yatta. Fun time.

When the movie started the place broke into huge applause, then family groups yelling whenever their name credit showed on the screen.

Then the film broke. There an audible gasp, then laughter, then 200 conversations of some variation of "can you believe this?" with the screen a big blank white in front of us.

Then a young boy started doing a shadow puppets in front of the projector, the shadow dog up on screen where Godzilla should be. It was freaking hilarious.

Kristen82

Reaction score
Lots of good choices. Almost as fun as renting a good movie is renting bad ones just so you can sit there and ridicule them, like anything Keanu Reeves is in because he's a horrible actor and it's fun to imitate him while he's talking on screen.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Teren_Kanan;4987611 said:
Wow Pulp Fiction came out that year too. All 3 of those Movies are on my top movies ever made list. What a good year that was.

Four Weddings and a Funeral also came out in 1994. Good movie.

I looked on Wikipedia. According to hit, Rob Reiner at one time wanted to direct Shawshank and cast Tom Cruise as Andy and Harrison Ford as Red. I'm glad that never panned out as Cruise would have been terrible.

They also had more information on how much money the movie made.

Box office

The Shawshank Redemption received a limited release on September 23, 1994 in North America. During its opening weekend, the film earned $727,000 from 33 theaters—an average of $22,040 per theater. It received a wide release on October 14, 1994, expanding to a total of 944 theaters to earn $2.4 million—an average of $2,545 per theater—finishing as the number 9 film of the weekend.[1] The film left theaters in late November 1994, after 10 weeks with an approximate total gross of $16 million.[10]

It was later re-released in February 1995, during the Oscar season, and made an additional $9 million.[10][not in citation given] In total the film made approximately $28.3 million in North American theaters, making it the number 51 highest grossing film of 1994 and the number 21 highest grossing R-rated film of 1994.[1]​

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
dexternjack;4986310 said:
Ya can't leave out "Point Break" - Johnny Utah!

Too bad Bodhi missed this 100 footer yesterday!

pb-130129-portugal-big-wave-nj.photoblog900.jpg

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;4987513 said:
No question Gump is an excellent movie.

But for Shawshank to only make $16 mil during its theatrical run is stunning. My gosh "Texas Chainsaw 3D" did about $30 mil (in 2012 dollars) its first week.

I think what hurt it was...

It wasn't a "chick-flick". It wasn't a movie women would have been interested in– at least not then, before everyone knew how good it was.

It wasn't a "action" movie. No explosions or ka-booms or car chases. That kept the younger males from being interested in it.

It wasn't a "comedy" so that eliminated another big chunk of the movie-going public.

The result was a movie that many couldn't easily identify with... So they didn't go to see it.

These days they don't open multiple big movies at the same time like they used too. The studios want to be able to say hey look at us we have the #1 movie even if its a piece of crap.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;4987386 said:
Surprised no one has mentioned "all movies starring John Wayne" Damn what an overrated piece of crap actor.

Well pilgram you talk awful big there. I'm not going to hit you... like hell I'm not. :D

DFWJC

Reaction score
Diogenes;4987584 said:
Pulp Fiction would have been my pick that year. Don't get me wrong, Shawshank and Forrest Gump were both great but IMO Pulp Fiction took film making to another level. A pretty good year for movies, that's for sure.

Also, as much as I like Shawshank, it wouldn't be in my top 10 all time, much less number 1.
Terriffic movie year.

I'd take Shawshank over Pulp Fiction and Gump, but I could see why someone could choose any of the three.

I watched each of them several times.

I didn't realize that 4 Weddings was that year too.
I liked that movie too. It was funny (fairly clever), moving (the funeral speech) and very corny all rolled in one.
It's 4th out of those four movies though, imo.

I guess we're off-track here seeing that this is a worst movie thread.

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
Not reading the whole thread, except the complete stupidity about how being anti- English Patient makes some in here feel manly or whatever.

Has anyone said Battlefield Earth? The Room is simply the worst but as far as big production goes...

Jammer

Retired Air Force Guy
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
MonsterD;4988129 said:
Not reading the whole thread, except the complete stupidity about how being anti- English Patient makes some in here feel manly or whatever.

Has anyone said Battlefield Earth? The Room is simply the worst but as far as big production goes...

I would think no one has mentioned Battlefield Earth because no one here has seen it, so it wouldn't be mentioned in worst movies you ever *saw*.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Doomsday101;4988077 said:
Well pilgram you talk awful big there. I'm not going to hit you... like hell I'm not. :D

what do you expect from him? He cannot help doing his shtick.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
i have seen lots of terrible movies.
many were entertaining for being so bad.
i can laugh at bad.
battlefield earth? i can hilariously enjoy that waste of money while marveling over wack jobs who believe in that stuff. --any reference to wack jobs and a travolta film are completely unintentional so just carry on.

two movies that drew rave reviews from many that i hated were the aforementioned english patient and ghost.

it wasn't just that they were sappy chick flicks.
it was that they were sappy, chick flicks on an estrogen drip with a large dose of downers mixed in.

i literally fell asleep on the english patient and spent ghost looking at my girlfriends face as she sat unaware in some sort of weird chick stupor. it was like she was in some alternate universe.

those two films were what i imagine hell to be. just watching that drivel on repeat.

Reaction score
All I know is if Shawshank Redemption isn't included within your top 3 movies of all time, I'd like to be puffing what your puffing... It's so bad ***, I sometimes think I'd put it ahead of Braveheart at number 1. But then I see "You bled with Wallace... Now bleed with me..."

And i'm in a conundrum again...

Rynie

Benched
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;4987610 said:
George Romero's "Land of the Dead" was a big disapointment for me.

Very big.

How? Every Romero movie is the EXACT SAME.