Would anyone give us a 1st for Zeke?

DallasInDC

Reaction score
Have you seen him run? 3rd round at best, and no one will pay that salary. He's ours.

That’s why it made sense to him to sit out for a new contract with two years left on his old contract. Zeke knew he would never see that type of money if he waited until his contract was up. From a purely business standpoint that was an excellent move for him. From a team standpoint it will suck.

PUSHfold

Reaction score
Look...has Zeke lost a step since his rookie season? More than likely...but that's not the problem...not at all...Our run blocking this season has been the worst I've seen from this group. In years past Zeke was getting to the second level without even being touched but this year? He's getting hit in the backfield and still making plays that most other RBs would've lost yards on.

Our run blocking has been absolutely atrocious while our pass blocking has been great. I just don't understand what the deal is. Some years this line run blocks incredibly and pass blocks poorly but they can't seem to do both during the same year.(consistently)

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
I think by now, its obvious to everyone that Zeke is no longer a top tier RB.

-Does anyone still think the 90 million dollar contract was worth it?
-Does anyone think that we could trade Zeke if we wanted to, if so, what could we get?
-Are there any people, besides me out there that thinks that Pollard has what it takes to be better than Zeke at this point?

Don't care about a first.
I think Zeke is worth it and am not abandoning him because of a poor season. I give you Jimmy Smith, maybe before your time.
Still don't care about trading him.
Pollard is not a starter. He looks good in flashes, then does boneheaded things, like the goal line yesterday. Grass is greener attitude.

aria

Reaction score
lol yes

Zeke is still a top 3 back in the NFL, get over it
He’s not even top 5 statically, or do stats only matter when defending that he is the best RB due to his most rushing yards?

Don’t blame the O line either, they are top 3 in most run blocking statistics.

aria

Reaction score
You guys are funny. Put Zeke running against our spaghetti strainer defense and he’d have 150 yards every game. Have you seen how when he gets to the hole there are usually 2 or 3 defenders waiting for him? And he still manages to carry them a few yards anyway.
And that’s exactly what he’s done. 5 of the ten teams we’ve played are in the bottom 10 defensively. Our defense is in the top 10 overall but bring on the excuses. His one good game against a good defense was Philthy and most of that credit should go to the O line, Pollar would have had similar stats.

aria

Reaction score
Look...has Zeke lost a step since his rookie season? More than likely...but that's not the problem...not at all...Our run blocking this season has been the worst I've seen from this group. In years past Zeke was getting to the second level without even being touched but this year? He's getting hit in the backfield and still making plays that most other RBs would've lost yards on.

Our run blocking has been absolutely atrocious while our pass blocking has been great. I just don't understand what the deal is. Some years this line run blocks incredibly and pass blocks poorly but they can't seem to do both during the same year.(consistently)
Huh, funny, statistically our run blocking is in the top 3 in most categories.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol/2019

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
He’s not even top 5 statically, or do stats only matter when defending that he is the best RB due to his most rushing yards?

Don’t blame the O line either, they are top 3 in most run blocking statistics.

Nobody is a complete back like Zeke. Not one.

PUSHfold

Reaction score
Huh, funny, statistically our run blocking is in the top 3 in most categories.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol/2019

I seriously can't believe people can't see how poor our run blocking has been. In years past our o-line were pancaking people setting absolutely gigantic holes for our RBs to run through left and right that kinda stuff hasn't been happening anywhere near like it was. For this group it's been piss poor especially for all the cap space they eat up. It's relative though...compared to a different team maybe it's still really good but for this group it's been bad. Because of how much cap space they eat up I'm not really that concerned with "compared to rest of league" I'm concerned with their play compared to themselves.
I don't see how any serious statistics could have our o-line at top 3 in run blocking guess its all relative though. Pass blocking? I could see that for sure...

Last edited:

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
I seriously can't believe people can't see how poor our run blocking has been. In years past our o-line were pancaking people setting absolutely gigantic holes for our RBs to run through left and right that kinda stuff hasn't been happening anywhere near like it was. For this group it's been piss poor especially for all the cap space they eat up. It's relative though...compared to a different team maybe it's still really good but for this group it's been bad. Because of how much cap space they eat up I'm not really that concerned with "compared to rest of league" I'm concerned with their play compared to themselves.
I don't see how any serious statistics could have our o-line at top 3 in run blocking guess its all relative though. Pass blocking? I could see that for sure...

That's my sentiment toward Zeke. He's still a good back but not as good as he was, and now he's the highest paid RB in the league. He should still be able to produce even if the line isn't perfect. Other rbs are getting comparable prodction with the same caliber oline play or even worse.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
Doubt it. He’s still a good back,he’s not having good year though. His numbers in the toilet running. He’s not breaking tackles ...but out in space he’s fine,why I want him much more involved passing. He’s a real threat there ...you saw his carpet catch....that’s what you need on offense. Big first downs...him and Pollatd can really hurt teams in the flats. Though don’t agree your last point...Pollard can’t carry them as 4 down back. But yeah,I’m for less snaps up middle if it’s not there. I don’t understand what the hell Garrett and Moore take so long to figure out what’s obvious. He wasn’t going to run that game and that was that. Even Jerry saw that right away,yet....whatever.

LIBRA63

Reaction score

-Does anyone think that we could trade Zeke if we wanted to, if so, what could we get?
-Are there any people, besides me out there that thinks that Pollard has what it takes to be better than Zeke at this point?
Why do you think Dak is playing so well. Defenses are still geared to stop Zeke and force Dak to beat them. Dak has started to do just that lately. Zeke is fine.

aria

Reaction score
I think people have been used to the O line you describe so anything less is considered vastly inferior. Thise stats are pretty in depth, not some random ranking.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
That's my sentiment toward Zeke. He's still a good back but not as good as he was, and now he's the highest paid RB in the league. He should still be able to produce even if the line isn't perfect. Other rbs are getting comparable prodction with the same caliber oline play or even worse.
Wow. Good post

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
RBs don’t typically drafted in the 1st round much anymore as it is, so to give up a 1st rounder with that much wear and tear on him already isn’t likely.

eromeopolk

Reaction score

Yes 31 other teams and the Dallas Cowboys would give next years number 1 for Ezekiel Elliott.

What are you guy's on?

It is play calling and usage. He is not being used as he was years 1-3. Check out the stats how he is not being given the ball on consecutive downs of 1st and 2nd, or 2nd and 3rd. Years 1-3 he was given the ball via run or pass on consecutive downs more than this year. The reason for the non usage is, I hope, saving him for a Super Bowl push.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

Precisely.

He’s a good back being paid top money.

Zeke doesn’t suck but if I’m paying top cheddar I want a guy with some dynamic play-making ability as runner; that’s line #1 on elite RB characteristics.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Doubt it. He’s still a good back,he’s not having good year though. His numbers in the toilet running. He’s not breaking tackles ...but out in space he’s fine,why I want him much more involved passing. He’s a real threat there ...you saw his carpet catch....that’s what you need on offense. Big first downs...him and Pollatd can really hurt teams in the flats. Though don’t agree your last point...Pollard can’t carry them as 4 down back. But yeah,I’m for less snaps up middle if it’s not there. I don’t understand what the hell Garrett and Moore take so long to figure out what’s obvious. He wasn’t going to run that game and that was that. Even Jerry saw that right away,yet....whatever.

Yes we saw what Zeke can do when he gets some space, on the td catch, after he got the ball he blew down the field for the score. But for some reason Moore/Garrett insist on running Zeke right up the middle into a pile of defenders. People here complain he's not breaking tackles, but he is, the problem is he'd have to break 2 or 3 of them just to get past the line, and he's not having to break tackles by some safety or cornerback, he's having to take on 300 lb linemen.

The idea that Zeke is "done" or "a shell of his former self" at age 24 is laughable, if that is the case, why? Too many carries? For a 220+ pound back after 1,062 carries?
No.

Fat? Again he was 221 lbs coming into the league, if he's put on 20 or 30 pounds he'd be jiggling and flapping on runs, and besides, he has plenty of muscle, he could add 10 lbs and it wouldn't affect his speed or moves.

It's easy to select one player who's not doing as well as people think he should and say it's all his fault, whether it's the quarterback, running back, safety or whatever...