Would the Cowboys bench Dak?

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
No way he survives the pressure of playing with a lesser team and tons of pressure due to being without an extension.
My bet is he get injured most likely as his subconscious will lead him in that direction in order to avoid the pressure.
yup and Lance gives us enough of a spark for him not to get his job back

TexasBacon

Reaction score
Finally?

I’ve been saying it for years now.

Rock bottom is sorely needed. I’m not scared of it like you.
The problem has always been this front office and their willingness/ability to acquire good QB talent. Dak and Romo were both pure luck. The QBs Dallas has been linked to in the draft over the years (Manziel, Paxton Lynch, etc.) have been huge busts. So I don't think it's unreasonable for people to think that the best shot is with a QB like Dak who just had an MVP-runner up season, has made multiple pro-bowls, and has games where he looks like a perfect QB. It's just impossible to quantify why he consistently falls apart in big games. You can call him a loser and all the other one liners and whatnot, but I'm personally terrified about this front office being able to go the distance to either trade for a proven commodity at QB or give up enough in the draft to acquire a premium top pick and then also hit on that guy. It's not this blatantly obvious decision you make it out to be, as there are alot more factors than just Dak falling off in big games. But I do agree that it's fair to think that paying him a max QB deal isn't the way to go. I'm not scared of rock bottom, I'm scared of Stephen Jones keeping the team stuck there for a decade because his cheap *** won't acquire a great QB. Maybe we can go the 49ers route and build an elite team at all the skill positions and a defense around Micah (who has his own issues) and hope to find a serviceable QB. I just have yet to see a team win a SB with that plan. Maybe they can make one, but not win it.

stiletto

Reaction score
No way he survives the pressure of playing with a lesser team and tons of pressure due to being without an extension.
My bet is he get injured most likely as his subconscious will lead him in that direction in order to avoid the pressure.
He played without an extension for two seasons on the Franchise tag so there's more evidence he will play ok not having a contract. I'm just saying Dak is good enough to win some games during the regular season. He has Ferguson and Lamb still. Team won't be better obviously but I doubt very seriously he doesn't play unless he gets hurt. Jerry is paying him too much. Wants to get something for all that money, that's how Jerry thinks.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
In 8 seasons he’s never played poorly for an extended period. He’s never been in a real slump. He usually bounces back after a poor performance. If they extend him there’s virtually no chance of benching him. If they let him play out his contract and he falters they could go with Lance for awhile assuming he’s the backup to see what they have in him. They’ll need to find out what Lance can do so they know how to approach the offseason if Dak were to leave in free agency.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
He played without an extension for two seasons on the Franchise tag so there's more evidence he will play ok not having a contract. I'm just saying Dak is good enough to win some games during the regular season. He has Ferguson and Lamb still. Team won't be better obviously but I doubt very seriously he doesn't play unless he gets hurt. Jerry is paying him too much. Wants to get something for all that money, that's how Jerry thinks.
He broke his leg while leading the NFL in fumbles/ints combined while the Cowboys were 1-3.

He was rewarded an undeserved contract for that during the offseason.

He has since led the Cowboys to 1 Wild Card win over an 8-9 Bucs team.

Jerry isn’t about to get burned twice.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Would Jerry Jones bench Dak?​

If Dak Prescott broke his ankle again? And Trey Lance stepped in and helped lead the team to seven or eight straight victories?

Answer: Yeah, in a heartbeat. And the benching would be permanent.

Would the same happen to an uninjured Prescott? Ha. Funny question.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
No. and why would they? No one on this roster is better. If you are still paying Dak you play him.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
In his career he's had great games, and he's had his moments of not doing well, we understand that no QB is perfect. With that said, and with all that's going on so far this off season, is there any chance the Cowboys would bench Dak if he hit a slump during the season? Are we willing to sit a player that's making that much money on the bench and waste money? If it happened during the earlier part of of the season, could they be benching him to save him for a possible trade? There's some things to think about. Hear me clearly, I'm not advocating for Dak to have a bad season etc, some may, that's their opinion!!!! In essence, i'm not saying this to be a bash Dak thread, he already has enough pressure on his mind now!! Please give your thoughts!
He’s a $29 million per season quarterback now, the third highest paid QB in the Cowboys’ division for the 2024 season. He is unsigned for 2025. At this point I don’t think the Cowboys would hesitate to bench him if the team is playing poorly. The only reason to play Prescott is if his experience and talent help the team win games. If that’s not happening he’s no longer of use and the prudent course would be to begin the move to a different quarterback. Exactly like other teams find themselves doing when they’re not competing.

stiletto

Reaction score
He broke his leg while leading the NFL in fumbles/ints combined while the Cowboys were 1-3.

He was rewarded an undeserved contract for that during the offseason.

He has since led the Cowboys to 1 Wild Card win over an 8-9 Bucs team.

Jerry isn’t about to get burned twice.
Hope not. Dak should only be judged by playoffs for anymore money they give him past this season. We all know how that's going to go.

stiletto

Reaction score
In 8 seasons he’s never played poorly for an extended period. He’s never been in a real slump. He usually bounces back after a poor performance. If they extend him there’s virtually no chance of benching him. If they let him play out his contract and he falters they could go with Lance for awhile assuming he’s the backup to see what they have in him. They’ll need to find out what Lance can do so they know how to approach the offseason if Dak were to leave in free agency.
I think Lance only has one year left also.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
No. They want Dak to have a high a rating as possible, in the event they could work out a trade....

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
Dak fans are comfortable in mediocrity.

Dak brings them comfort.

They are scared of the unknown.

They would rather wallow in the middle over taking chances to be great.
Some successful coaching staffs become stale over time and the messages start getting ignored by the players. Then the team starts to decline and the owner has no choice but to fire said staff pronto. The same can be said about a teams front office I suppose but the unique thing about Dallas is the front office and owner are one in the same people. So no threat of firing ever. How can you realistically look yourself in the mirror every day as owner of the Dallas Cowboys and say you don't deserve to be the GM of this team because you have failed. Teams are supposed to be in this to win a Lombardi and Jerry Jones is a massive failure. He can live on his past all he wants but I feel that is getting tenuis and the fan base are waking up to his lack of skill at leading this team towards a Lombardi. Actually a lot woke up a long time ago to this fact but Dang it we love our team and the Jones need to get out of the way and hire front office professionals because Jerrys way leads us to only to very good, a participation trophy if you will. Didn't mean for this to be a diatribe.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Hope not. Dak should only be judged by playoffs for anymore money they give him past this season. We all know how that's going to go.
If he was truly judge by playoffs only then he’d never play another down in the NFL.

Considering his 2-5 record is the worst ever for a QB with at least 5 starts.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
No. They want Dak to have a high a rating as possible, in the event they could work out a trade....
if he plays games with no contract extension this year..I HIGHLY doubt he would accept a trade..he will just see what FA gets him..which he should like any other player in his situation. You dont like the situation the FO is in then blame the FO that has been screwing up this franchise for 28 years...

Mikexike

Reaction score
In his career he's had great games, and he's had his moments of not doing well, we understand that no QB is perfect. With that said, and with all that's going on so far this off season, is there any chance the Cowboys would bench Dak if he hit a slump during the season? Are we willing to sit a player that's making that much money on the bench and waste money? If it happened during the earlier part of of the season, could they be benching him to save him for a possible trade? There's some things to think about. Hear me clearly, I'm not advocating for Dak to have a bad season etc, some may, that's their opinion!!!! In essence, i'm not saying this to be a bash Dak thread, he already has enough pressure on his mind now!! Please give your thoughts!
If every team copies SF, BUF and GB's game plan then he will be on the bench by week 8.

stiletto

Reaction score
If he was truly judge by playoffs only then he’d never play another down in the NFL.

Considering his 2-5 record is the worst ever for a QB with at least 5 starts.
He should absolutely be judged by his playoffs before Dallas gives him anymore money after this year. Some other moron team will give him a bag like the Falcons gave Cousins. That guy didn't deserve what he got either. Hopefully it will be someone elses problem after this year. Seen enough...