Would the Cowboys bench Dak?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Romo lost his teammates confidence and got benched. I don't see why the same couldn't happen to Dak if his backup is energizing his teammates and fans.
That's not really accurate. Romo got hurt in preseason, and that's what put him on the bench for I think 10-11 games before he was cleared to play again. During that time the team was highly successful, Dak played well, and the team was feeling good about Dak. The Cowboys made a decision based on continuing the success Dak and the team was experiencing, not on negative feelings about Romo.

TexasBacon

Reaction score
What makes you think we cant get a qb? Coop won some games for us.
I know....defense lights out?

Dak needs good defense too. Any qb does.
I wouldnt be too unhappy about not making plsyoffs for a year or two. Nkt ready for yet another playoff embarrasement.
Of course we can find a QB that can "win some games". I thought the point was to tank to get a QB that can get us to a point further than Dak has taken us, AKA the championship game and a Super Bowl? What makes anyone think that's going to happen with this cheap front office who has a terrible history of evaluating QBs and who refuse to spend in free agency even when they have a cheap QB? We had Dak for next to nothing for 5 seasons and they still never went anywhere close to "all-in". Everyone acts like it's a sure thing we'll be just hunky dory in a few years if Dak walks, and I think that's even less likely than Dak getting hot at the right time for once. It's just hard to also reconcile that potential $60M cap hit because then we know Stephen will just use that as an excuse to not spend in FA.

SwagSurfer

Reaction score
That's not really accurate. Romo got hurt in preseason, and that's what put him on the bench for I think 10-11 games before he was cleared to play again. During that time the team was highly successful, Dak played well, and the team was feeling good about Dak. The Cowboys made a decision based on continuing the success Dak and the team was experiencing, not on negative feelings about Romo.
Right. When he was cleared, he got benched in favor of Dak.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
It’s a shame that so called Cowboys fans are hoping the Cowboys are so bad that Dak is benched. I remember when Dak broke his ankle and some fans actually cheered on this board. Cowboys fandom I guess. :rolleyes: :facepalm:

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
I'll always say that the worst thing that happened to this franchise (besides Jimmy leaving) was them winning the SB in 1995. That made Jerry believe he could do it his way...Has sent us to mediocre hell basically..
100%

Ken

Reaction score
In his career he's had great games, and he's had his moments of not doing well, we understand that no QB is perfect. With that said, and with all that's going on so far this off season, is there any chance the Cowboys would bench Dak if he hit a slump during the season? Are we willing to sit a player that's making that much money on the bench and waste money? If it happened during the earlier part of of the season, could they be benching him to save him for a possible trade? There's some things to think about. Hear me clearly, I'm not advocating for Dak to have a bad season etc, some may, that's their opinion!!!! In essence, i'm not saying this to be a bash Dak thread, he already has enough pressure on his mind now!! Please give your thoughts!
If the plan is to play out the contract then let him go...trade him now and get so.ething for him.

It is ridiculous to do anything else, short of extending him.

Jfconrow

Reaction score
They're setting him up to fail, but they can't cut him this year, they are okay eating the $40M dead cap space next year because its the best they can do. I think as fans we want to see if we get off to a good start, maybe they can make the payoffs and have a good run. If they start off bad and are not in playoff contention I think we'd like to see what Lance can do, but I don't see how he could do any better than Dak with not getting first team practice reps. Maybe Lance gets 4 or 5 starts at the end of the season, but I doubt the team will still be trying so its almost a waste. Then what do you do with Lance, he's not going to sign a long-term $5M per year deal and Dallas won't sign him to big money so they lose Lance too. Just draft a new QB next year.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
If the plan is to play out the contract then let him go...trade him now and get so.ething for him.

It is ridiculous to do anything else, short of extending him.
I'll say this much, I actually agree with you. If that is the plan then they should be speaking with Dak and France to get a list of teams he would accept a trade to instead of wasting another year. If the plan really is to extend, and I hope not, then get the deal done and go hard with what is left of free agency (there are still some guys that can help).

At this point, as I said in my thread, I don't think they feel he's the guy anymore. But either way they need to grow a set and commit to a plan of action.

Reactions: Ken

Kwyn

Reaction score
In his career he's had great games, and he's had his moments of not doing well, we understand that no QB is perfect. With that said, and with all that's going on so far this off season, is there any chance the Cowboys would bench Dak if he hit a slump during the season? Are we willing to sit a player that's making that much money on the bench and waste money? If it happened during the earlier part of of the season, could they be benching him to save him for a possible trade? There's some things to think about. Hear me clearly, I'm not advocating for Dak to have a bad season etc, some may, that's their opinion!!!! In essence, i'm not saying this to be a bash Dak thread, he already has enough pressure on his mind now!! Please give your thoughts!
What possible reason would they have to bench him?

Trey Lance?

No way.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Of course we can find a QB that can "win some games". I thought the point was to tank to get a QB that can get us to a point further than Dak has taken us, AKA the championship game and a Super Bowl? What makes anyone think that's going to happen with this cheap front office who has a terrible history of evaluating QBs and who refuse to spend in free agency even when they have a cheap QB? We had Dak for next to nothing for 5 seasons and they still never went anywhere close to "all-in". Everyone acts like it's a sure thing we'll be just hunky dory in a few years if Dak walks, and I think that's even less likely than Dak getting hot at the right time for once. It's just hard to also reconcile that potential $60M cap hit because then we know Stephen will just use that as an excuse to not spend in FA.
No...not "everyone" thinks things will be "hunky dory" if Dak walks. You are just making that up in your head.

If people want to move on from Dak...okay. They understand that ALL THIS...is a crap shoot. Right now...there seems to be more crap than shoot.

Regular businesses have the same issues finding good employees. There's nothing secret or selective/proprietary for NFL QBs.

If you are ready to move on you just do it.

I responded to you earlier about finding a new QB now you're arguing about ineptness of the company. I am not sure what you want to fight about...make up your mind.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
What possible reason would they have to bench him?

Trey Lance?

No way.
The only way that happens is if and when the team is eliminated from playoff contention in the regular season or if he’s injured imo.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Right. When he was cleared, he got benched in favor of Dak.
He didn't regain his starting job after being injured most of the season because the team and Dak were having great success.

You characterized it as if Romo was playing poorly and as a result lost the confidence of his teammates and forced the team to remove him from the starting lineup and put on the bench.

In other words, you put a misleading spin on it to fit a particular narrative.

Ken

Reaction score
I'll say this much, I actually agree with you. If that is the plan then they should be speaking with Dak and France to get a list of teams he would accept a trade to instead of wasting another year. If the plan really is to extend, and I hope not, then get the deal done and go hard with what is left of free agency (there are still some guys that can help).

At this point, as I said in my thread, I don't think they feel he's the guy anymore. But either way they need to grow a set and commit to a plan of action.
I do still think he is the man but that is me.

If you go down the road of this is it for him....you trade him. You ask for the list as you suggested...if he doesn't give it...then you tell him he is the backup next year. His tone should change. You have to get resources for him.

HotDog37

Reaction score
Dak can win games just not the important ones. A really nice running game and a solid D would help out a lot. I would still draft a QB though.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
In 8 seasons he’s never played poorly for an extended period. He’s never been in a real slump. He usually bounces back after a poor performance. If they extend him there’s virtually no chance of benching him. If they let him play out his contract and he falters they could go with Lance for awhile assuming he’s the backup to see what they have in him. They’ll need to find out what Lance can do so they know how to approach the offseason if Dak were to leave in free agency.
He was generally quite poor from the Atlanta game in early 2017 through roughly half of 2018 until Cooper arrived.

Since then he’s oscillated between very good to great against weak to middling teams, on the one hand, and generally quite poor against strong teams, on the other.