Would the Cowboys bench Dak?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I think Lance only has one year left also.
If that’s the case they’re going to want to find out something about him next season. They may design a few plays for him as a situational QB to get him on the field.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
In his career he's had great games, and he's had his moments of not doing well, we understand that no QB is perfect. With that said, and with all that's going on so far this off season, is there any chance the Cowboys would bench Dak if he hit a slump during the season? Are we willing to sit a player that's making that much money on the bench and waste money? If it happened during the earlier part of of the season, could they be benching him to save him for a possible trade? There's some things to think about. Hear me clearly, I'm not advocating for Dak to have a bad season etc, some may, that's their opinion!!!! In essence, i'm not saying this to be a bash Dak thread, he already has enough pressure on his mind now!! Please give your thoughts!
Dak would have to be like Russel Wilson bad..............like 2-3 picks a game bad................for Jerry to even consider benching him.

And yes, that would be a Jerry decision, Fat Mike does not have the authority or the balls to bench anybody making that kind of money.

TexasBacon

Reaction score
He should absolutely be judged by his playoffs before Dallas gives him anymore money after this year. Some other moron team will give him a bag like the Falcons gave Cousins. That guy didn't deserve what he got either. Hopefully it will be someone elses problem after this year. Seen enough...
Some of y'all just act like elite QBs are growing on trees and we have all these options.... Even with all of his issues, Dak is easily a top 10-12 QB in the league, and that's being cynical. He just had an MVP runner up season. Teams overpay for QBs because that's how hard it is to find one. Go look at the last 20 years of Super Bowl winning teams. How many of them did it with a "bus driver" QB? Two. The Eagles in 2017 and The Ravens in 2012, and that's if you count Flacco as a bus driver. Every other season it's been Manning, Brady, Rodgers, Mahomes, Roethlisberger, Wilson, Stafford, etc.

Statistically, it's MUCH likelier that a QB like Dak who has made multiple pro-bowls, is coming off a second team all-pro season, and who has stretches of flawless QB play, to get hot at the right time and carry the team to a SB than it is for a team like Dallas, who has had significant trouble evaluating QB talent and has lucked into their last two franchise QBs, and who will likely not have a top draft pick and be unwilling to give up the necessary draft capital to move up far enough for a premium QB talent, to somehow luck into a talented QB. This doesn't mean Dak is amazing, he continuously falls flat on his face in big moments and that's very hard to quantify, and it's very hard to consider paying him another max QB deal and expect him to be able to make up for the deficit that will cause in other areas of the team. But, when considering all the variables, especially with this front office, it feels like Dak might still be the best shot to win a championship over the next 5 years. Best-case scenario is he takes a reduced deal to help the team. Or maybe the best-case scenario is they let him walk and Deion gerrymanders Shadeur to Dallas without them giving up too much to get him somehow. If he's even that good. I dunno. All I know is it's a terrible situation all around and I'm kind of indifferent to what happens at this point, but I think we could be in for some seriously terrible seasons if Dak walks and we don't get lucky at the position yet again. I just hope they either let Dak walk or they pay him and really try to go all-in for 2 years or so. Worst case is probably paying Dak, Ceedee, and Micah max deals and then being incredibly cheap and inactive in FA like this offseason. Especially after the terrible draft they had last year.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Some of y'all just act like elite QBs are growing on trees and we have all these options.... Even with all of his issues, Dak is easily a top 10-12 QB in the league, and that's being cynical. He just had an MVP runner up season. Teams overpay for QBs because that's how hard it is to find one. Go look at the last 20 years of Super Bowl winning teams. How many of them did it with a "bus driver" QB? Two. The Eagles in 2017 and The Ravens in 2012, and that's if you count Flacco as a bus driver. Every other season it's been Manning, Brady, Rodgers, Mahomes, Roethlisberger, Wilson, Stafford, etc.

Statistically, it's MUCH likelier that a QB like Dak who has made multiple pro-bowls, is coming off a second team all-pro season, and who has stretches of flawless QB play, to get hot at the right time and carry the team to a SB than it is for a team like Dallas, who has had significant trouble evaluating QB talent and has lucked into their last two franchise QBs, and who will likely not have a top draft pick and be unwilling to give up the necessary draft capital to move up far enough for a premium QB talent, to somehow luck into a talented QB. This doesn't mean Dak is amazing, he continuously falls flat on his face in big moments and that's very hard to quantify, and it's very hard to consider paying him another max QB deal and expect him to be able to make up for the deficit that will cause in other areas of the team. But, when considering all the variables, especially with this front office, it feels like Dak might still be the best shot to win a championship over the next 5 years. Best-case scenario is he takes a reduced deal to help the team. Or maybe the best-case scenario is they let him walk and Deion gerrymanders Shadeur to Dallas without them giving up too much to get him somehow. If he's even that good. I dunno. All I know is it's a terrible situation all around and I'm kind of indifferent to what happens at this point, but I think we could be in for some seriously terrible seasons if Dak walks and we don't get lucky at the position yet again. I just hope they either let Dak walk or they pay him and really try to go all-in for 2 years or so. Worst case is probably paying Dak, Ceedee, and Micah max deals and then being incredibly cheap and inactive in FA like this offseason. Especially after the terrible draft they had last year.
all signs point to your last scenario...

stiletto

Reaction score

QB's certainly don't grow on trees, can't just run down and get one from Texaco as Bill Parcells said but for me, once you KNOW for certain a QB cannot win it all for your team, you have to try to find another guy. It's a waste of time otherwise. Dak has proven over and over that he is not a big game QB. I don't know why people at this point still think that might change. How many chances does the guy get? He's already ultimately failed in the playoffs 5 times. Not all his fault but he definitely deserves his share of the blame. He keeps looking worse in big games, should be a huge red flag for everyone already.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
QB's certainly don't grow on trees, can't just run down and get one from Texaco as Bill Parcells said but for me, once you KNOW for certain a QB cannot win it all for your team, you have to try to find another guy. It's a waste of time otherwise. Dak has proven over and over that he is not a big game QB. I don't know why people at this point still think that might change. How many chances does the guy get? He's already ultimately failed in the playoffs 5 times. Not all his fault but he definitely deserves his share of the blame. He keeps looking worse in big games, should be a huge red flag for everyone already.
The problem is and has been (for 28 years) that red flags mean nothing to this FO it should be a huge red flag that this 28 year team building experiment is clearly bad to everyone..BUT the Jones seem perfectly fine with the outcome. It should be a red Flag that your teams cant play in big games for 28 years yet here we are with no changes to how the team is built/run..starting with the GM...

stiletto

Reaction score
The problem is and has been (for 28 years) that red flags mean nothing to this FO it should be a huge red flag that this 28 year team building experiment is clearly bad to everyone..BUT the Jones seem perfectly fine with the outcome. It should be a red Flag that your teams cant play in big games for 28 years yet here we are with no changes to how the team is built/run..starting with the GM...
Everyone knows what the underlying disease is...unfortunately that part is never going away.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Everyone knows what the underlying disease is...unfortunately that part is never going away.
its also never going to win..even if we change all the things on the sideline as we have done several times in 28 years...

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

What makes you think we cant get a qb? Coop won some games for us.
I know....defense lights out?

Dak needs good defense too. Any qb does.
I wouldnt be too unhappy about not making plsyoffs for a year or two. Nkt ready for yet another playoff embarrasement.

stiletto

Reaction score
its also never going to win..even if we change all the things on the sideline as we have done several times in 28 years...
I'll always say that the worst thing that happened to this franchise (besides Jimmy leaving) was them winning the SB in 1995. That made Jerry believe he could do it his way...Has sent us to mediocre hell basically..

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
If Dallas let’s dak go so be it, I root for the cowboys and life goes on and I’ll continue to root for whoever is the quarterback and the team but I just hope that so many posters here will admit they fell for the banana in the tail pipe and got absolutely played when or if Jerry brings dak back.

If they let him walk, I’ll gladly admit I got played, I hope others do the same. My guess is they’ll complain and moan and disappear etc but never say they were wrong

SwagSurfer

Reaction score
Romo lost his teammates confidence and got benched. I don't see why the same couldn't happen to Dak if his backup is energizing his teammates and fans.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I want to see Lance.

I’ve seen Dak suck for 8 years. I’ve seen enough.
You've actually mostly seen Dak play well, to very well, but not having success in the playoffs. Some of you guys act like it's been 8 years of Babe Laufenberg level play.

Now, before you follow with what I'm sure your eager to say/claim about me making that comment, I am perfectly fine letting Dak play this year with no contract extension. In fact, I prefer him to play this year with no guarantee for next year.

TexasBacon

Reaction score
I think that's totally fair. If we were certain that we could "tank" for 1-2 years, get rid of Dak's dead money, and get a good, young QB in the draft then it's a no-brainer to let Dak walk and build around Micah, Diggs, and Lamb. I just don't trust the front office to do what is necessary, either in QB evaluation or in willingness to creatively acquire a good QB, via a trade or via giving up draft capital. And I still don't think we can definitively say Dak can't win for certain, though it's fair to say the odds aren't in his favor, especially based on the last 3 seasons. Outside of Brady and Mahomes, even the elite QBs just need all of the chips to fall their way at the right time and get hot at the right time.