Would you be disappointed if we drafted Felix Jones at 22?

Big Dakota

Reaction score
If drafting Jones means keeping MBIII long term and keeping our #28 I'm ALL FOR drafting him as a backup to MBIII.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
ddh33;2031280 said:
The team has a need at that position. Felix Jones looks like a great fit. He also has value in the area Dallas will be picking in. What's the problem?

The problem is we need a CB and a WR before we get to RB.
And Jones won't be there in the late second round.
The Cowboys already have MB, so a Jones is a luxury jerra cannot afford.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't see how a team can use a first round draft choice on a running back who - in my opinion - is not and never will be a full-time player.

Jones isn't a 'carry the mail' guy.

A few seasons ago, the Cowboys had the chance, and passed on Steven Jackson. That was a full-time running back. I would hate to see them compound a previous error by using their #1 on a part-timer.

If Marion Barber is 'the guy' then a backup to him shouldn't be a first round priority.

And if Barber is not the guy (say his $$$ demands are outrageous), then you need to look at a back who can handle a full workload.

Regardless, Jones in the 1st round makes little sense to me.

Tex

Reaction score
The Dodger;2031389 said:
I'm sure there would be at least a couple of worthy prospects at #22 if you looked at positions other than WR, CB and RB. Do you have anyone in mind?

Yep. If Kenny Phillips makes it to 22 I would snatch him in a second. I know we have other holes but..... Hamlin is going to be here one more year. Who knows if RW will return to form.

Tex

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
I'm honestly not sure how to gauge this guy. If he can come in and produce twenty touches per game (kick-offs, running and receiving), then he may be worth it, but only if Barber remains healthy. Look at how the Saints faired when they had to put Reggie Bush in as the full-time starter. How good of a kick returner is he (Non-You tube wise)?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Explaining my vote. I really like Felix Jones and would love to have him here, but not at 22. It's entirely about projections, not about him.

BehindEnemyLinez

Optimist Prime
Reaction score
YES. While I have no problem w/ the player (as BP would say), it's the spot that I take issue with. From what I've seen of him, he's not worthy of a 1st round pick (unless he's the BPA @ that position).

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Hostile;2031883 said:
Explaining my vote. I really like Felix Jones and would love to have him here, but not at 22. It's entirely about projections, not about him.

how bout Felix Jones at 22...trade 28 for Roy Williams and draft your boy Cason at our pick in the 2nd rd?

and yes, I do think he might be available with our 2nd rd pick...or at least in close proximety

David

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I would not be disappointed at all. I think he's rated by almost everyone as one of the top 3-4 backs, and some rate him as the 2nd best RB.

I personally believe that most of the CBs, including DRC, are extremely over-rated and that our scouts probably watched enough of their unimpressive college film not to fall in love with combine and post season performances. If the top two CB's are gone, and they will be, then the CB's in rounds 2-3 are every bit as good a value as taking the marginal guys in round 1.

I don't know enough about Felix Jones to be a fan or a naysayer, but I trust our guys to take the best players who represent the best values on the board, so I'd be happy if #22 were a RB, OL, or even a great QB who dropped.

This year's rookies aren't about winning this year's super bowl...though they could play a role.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
wayne motley;2032459 said:
I would not be disappointed at all. I think he's rated by almost everyone as one of the top 3-4 backs, and some rate him as the 2nd best RB.
Who? .

The Rawhide Kid

Gunslinger
Reaction score
theogt;2032461 said:
Every single draft magazine I have rates him 4th, behind DMac, Stewart, and Mendenhall. I'd like to see the reasoning behind rating him the 2nd best Rb in the draft.

DFWJC

Reaction score
wayne motley;2032459 said:
I would not be disappointed at all. I think he's rated by almost everyone as one of the top 3-4 backs, and some rate him as the 2nd best RB..

Whoa. I have not seen that anywhere. 4th is the highest I've seen, but I'll take your word for it.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
The Rawhide Kid;2032610 said:
Every single draft magazine I have rates him 4th, behind DMac, Stewart, and Mendenhall. I'd like to see the reasoning behind rating him the 2nd best Rb in the draft.
Yeah, 4th seems to be consensus (though very wrong in my opinion). I've never seen him ranked 2nd. Or even 3rd.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I wouldn't like him at 22 but if he's there for our 2nd, then I'd like him in the second. There are a handful of guys I'd rather have, but i wouldn't be horribly upset if we wind up with Felix. I think that it's a reach, however, at 22.

DFWJC

Reaction score
The Dodger;2031380 said:
I agree, but that's my problem with the 22nd overall pick in general. First, I think the better corners will be gone, and those that are left may be a reach here. Second, no receiver is worth the 22nd overall pick. And third, there's such a slew of good running backs in this draft that Jones will likely still be there at #28.

Kind of a sucky draft slot to have for the Cowboys if you ask me...

I agree that 22nd pick is an odd slot for our needs and what may be there if we want value. Some even think that if the top 3 RBs and top DBs are gone, and a great OL guys falls to us, we should go ahead and get value with him unless a great trade comes up. I can't wait to see how this unfolds.

Echo9

Erik_H
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
ABQCOWBOY;2031329 said:
I would be very disappointed. IMO, Felix Jones is not the 22nd best player in this draft. That's just my opinion but if Barber is our guy, and I think that he is, then I am not in favor of drafting any RB who is only ever going to be a back-up in the 1st round.

Exactly. Reaching for a RB with our first pick (even if it's not a huge reach) sends a 'lack of faith' message to Barber. I wouldn't as against it at 28.

...Of course we're all hoping 28 turns into a vet WR. ;)

I still like the idea of packaging what we can in later picks to move into the top 1/3 of the 2nd round to get our RB.

Give me a CB at 22, at vet WR at 28 and a RB in the 2nd and I'll be smilin.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
theogt;2032660 said:
Yeah, 4th seems to be consensus (though very wrong in my opinion). I've never seen him ranked 2nd. Or even 3rd.

fwiw TSN has him ranked 3rd, almost all the others I've seen have him 4th...but right after Stewart underwent the surgery, I heard several of these draft guys say Jones might go before him now based on what teams end up thinking about his injury situation...obviously we arnt privvy to the medical info the 32 teams are getting on Stewart

David