Would you be for or against the idea of Sean Payton returning to the Cowboys?

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
This is just for conversation purposes based on Jerry Jones' recent comments and some chatter that I've been hearing.

But how would you personally feel about the following scenario:

There are rumors that Drew Brees might call it quits after this season, especially if he and the Saints manage to win the Super Bowl. If that happened, word is that Sean Payton who look to leave the Saints organization as well. And rumor is that he still has a clause in his contract that he can void it upon any changes in ownership (which has occurred already given Tom Benson's passing).

Payton still has a home in Texas and his son plays high school ball here.

Speaking hypothetically at this point, but if Payton was the "opportunity" in the coming weeks that Jones was referring to, would you be for or against the idea of Payton returning to the Cowboys to coach this team?
Would love to see Sean Payton coaching the Cowboys. Too good to be true.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Payton would come only in the condition jerry stops meddling

Then the clapping carrot can go suck for one of those 5 teams who apparently :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: want him. :muttley:

This would be awesome but won't happen of course

I don't think Payton would care to much about a little "meddling" at all. He's never been a guy who had big demands of the organization and never needed a whole lot of the spotlight. He leaves personnel decisions to other people and has never demanded a huge voice there. If you look at his track record, the only thing he really loves to do is run his offense. And again, if you look at the parts in place in Dallas, and an owner that obviously has tremendous patience for people he likes and I can easily see how it would appeal to Payton, especially if he's losing the biggest part of his current team.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As a Louisiana resident, I am 'forced' to watch enough of Payton's commentary (i.e. press conferences, etc.), by local television and radio affiliates infatuated (and contracted) by the Saints, to know how he presents himself as a head coach. With that in mind, I can easily see Payton joining Garrett's staff as an offensive coordinator.

As a head coach? Payton might accept the opportunity but there would be a noticeable change in his everyday public persona for media, etc.--so I have a harder time seeing him return as the head coach. Then again, Parcells made it work. Why can't Payton?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The question is how would Payton feel about Prescott as his QB? The reason Brees can run his offense is because of deadeye accuracy. Would he demand a new QB as part of his deal?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As a Louisiana resident, I am 'forced' to watch enough of Payton's commentary (i.e. press conferences, etc.), by local television and radio affiliates infatuated (and contracted) by the Saints, to know how he presents himself as a head coach. With that in mind, I can easily see Payton joining Garrett's staff as an offensive coordinator.

As a head coach? Payton might accept the opportunity but there would be a noticeable change in his everyday public persona for media, etc.--so I have a harder time seeing him return as the head coach. Then again, Parcells made it work. Why can't Payton?

Really? You can "easily see" Super Bowl winning head coach Sean Payton "joining Jason Garrett's staff as an offensive coordinator"?
:huh:

Out of all of the improbabilities in this entire scenario, that's the most improbable thing I could ever see happening.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The question is how would Payton feel about Prescott as his QB? The reason Brees can run his offense is because of deadeye accuracy. Would he demand a new QB as part of his deal?
Bold> Payton's return is DOA if that requirement is conditional for his return. Prescott made his long-term impression on Jerry Jones in 2016. It would be necessary for Payton and Prescott to forge a successful partnership together.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
This is just for conversation purposes based on Jerry Jones' recent comments and some chatter that I've been hearing.

There are rumors that Drew Brees might call it quits after this season, especially if he and the Saints manage to win the Super Bowl. If that happened, word is that Sean Payton who look to leave the Saints organization as well. And rumor is that he still has a clause in his contract that he can void it upon any changes in ownership (which has occurred already given Tom Benson's passing).

Speaking hypothetically at this point, but if Payton was the "opportunity" in the coming weeks that Jones was referring to, would you be for or against the idea of Payton returning to the Cowboys to coach this team?

I don't think Payton walks on water like some here do but I'd welcome the change.

His teams (Brees?) have usually scored points but too many years the defense has been subpar. I suppose Jerry could promote the mighty Richard to DC.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Really? You can "easily see" Super Bowl winning head coach Sean Payton "joining Jason Garrett's staff as an offensive coordinator"?
:huh:

Out of all of the improbabilities in this entire scenario, that's the most improbable thing I could ever see happening.
Out of the two possibilities? Yes. Of course, those are only hypotheticals. In my opinion? I dismiss either scenario occurring in the future. I doubt Payton will 'bend' for Jones--even if Jones made it rain for him.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Not only Yah! But, Yippee, Kye, Yah, Mudda f.........!!

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think Payton walks on water like some here do but I'd welcome the change.

His teams (Brees?) have usually scored points but too many years the defense has been subpar. I suppose Jerry could promote the mighty Richard to DC.

And that's a big part of my point. He's more of an offensive coordinator than a head coach. And he wants, and needs, someone to be able to coach the other half of the team. When he has that, he wins, and wins big. When he doesn't, his offense puts up tons of points but his defense lets him down.

He'd have that in Dallas with Richard (and Marinelli).

visionary

Reaction score

"Join garretts staff as OC"?

:laugh::laugh:

While we're at it, let's get Bellichick to be the D.C.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Out of the two possibilities? Yes. Of course, those are only hypotheticals. In my opinion? I dismiss either scenario occurring in the future. I doubt Payton will 'bend' for Jones--even if Jones made it rain for him.

I can see the appeal for him. But as head coach, never stooping to work under Garrett.

Reaction score

Let's put it this way: Sean Payton in a coma would be an upgrade.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Coaches are important to the culture, but name me a great coach who didn't have a great QB.

The QB is everthing, whether he wins one way or another.

Where would Landry be without Staubach?
Noll without Bradshaw?
Johnson without Aikman?
Walsh without Montana/Young?
Even Belichick, as great as he is, without Brady?

The OC can help the QB have success by matching the offense and play calls to the QB's skills.

Head coach? They build the culture, but unless the QB is right....I don't know

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Coaches are important to the culture, but name me a great coach who didn't have a great QB.

The QB is everthing, whether he wins one way or another.

Where would Landry be without Staubach?
Noll without Bradshaw?
Johnson without Aikman?
Walsh without Montana/Young?
Even Belichick, as great as he is, without Brady?

The OC can help the QB have success by matching the offense and play calls to the QB's skills.

Head coach? They build the culture, but unless the QB is right....I don't know

So is that your answer? You don't know if you'd rather have Payton or Garrett?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can see the appeal for him. But as head coach, never stooping to work under Garrett.
Head coach? Could happen but I think Powerball jackpot odds are more favorable. Not as unfavorable as a certain quarterback returning in any capacity but still pretty darn huge in my opinion.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Head coach? Could happen but I think Powerball jackpot odds are more favorable. Not as unfavorable as a certain quarterback returning in any capacity but still pretty darn huge in my opinion.

You'd be wrong about that, this was as of November of 2018:

In addition, BetDSI.com has an updated list of which individual has the best odds of coaching the Dallas Cowboys for the team’s 2019 season opener.

• Josh McDaniels, offensive coordinator, New England Patriots +250

• Sean Payton, head coach, New Orleans Saints +300

• John DeFilippo, offensive coordinator, Minnesota Vikings +500

• Jason Garrett, head coach, Dallas Cowboys +600
https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/article221303610.html

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
Payton: "Jerry, How ya' doing buddy? Listen, I'm interested in leaving the Saints organization and coaching closer to home, if you catch my drift.."

Jerry: "Hey, Sean! Well, I'll tell you, the Texans would be lucky to have you. You'll do well there. If we didn't like our guy so much, we'd honestly think about bringin' ya here."

Payton: "........"