Would you be for or against the idea of Sean Payton returning to the Cowboys?

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Coaches are important to the culture, but name me a great coach who didn't have a great QB.

The QB is everthing, whether he wins one way or another.

Where would Landry be without Staubach?
Noll without Bradshaw?
Johnson without Aikman?
Walsh without Montana/Young?
Even Belichick, as great as he is, without Brady?

The OC can help the QB have success by matching the offense and play calls to the QB's skills.

Head coach? They build the culture, but unless the QB is right....I don't know
Well Garrett had Romo and couldn't win anything with him.

JustChip

Reaction score
Wonder if anyone will say NO? :lmao:

Me, me, me.

Just kidding. I would take Sean and I think Jerry would try to do something to bring him on. Garrett only has 1 year left on his contract so he wouldn't be eating a long-term contract to simply move him into a "special advisory" role in the FO. He could also do something like bring SP on as OC and Asst. HC (with HC in waiting at the end of next year), but I doubt SP would sign up for that. Not to mention that would be the epitome of dysfunctional with Garrett being a dead man walking. The most likely scenario to me is if NO wins the Bowl, Brees walks and Payton retires. Then next year when Garrett's contract is up, Payton unretires and becomes the Cowboys HC.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
This is just for conversation purposes based on Jerry Jones' recent comments and some chatter that I've been hearing.

But how would you personally feel about the following scenario:

There are rumors that Drew Brees might call it quits after this season, especially if he and the Saints manage to win the Super Bowl. If that happened, word is that Sean Payton who look to leave the Saints organization as well. And rumor is that he still has a clause in his contract that he can void it upon any changes in ownership (which has occurred already given Tom Benson's passing).

Payton still has a home in Texas and his son plays high school ball here.

Speaking hypothetically at this point, but if Payton was the "opportunity" in the coming weeks that Jones was referring to, would you be for or against the idea of Payton returning to the Cowboys to coach this team?

This was discussed on sports radio yesterday. I'd approve. :thumbup:

Verdict

Reaction score
You guys aren't going to like this reply, but Payton would be best here as the offensive coordinator where he could focus strictly on scoring points. He's probably not an improvement over Garrett in terms of being a complete coach.

See, I told you that you wouldn't like it! Lol. With Garrett as the head coach to keep things structured and Payton to run the offense and Richard to run the defense, we might just win a SB this year.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You'd be wrong about that, this was as of November of 2018:

In addition, BetDSI.com has an updated list of which individual has the best odds of coaching the Dallas Cowboys for the team’s 2019 season opener.

• Josh McDaniels, offensive coordinator, New England Patriots +250

• Sean Payton, head coach, New Orleans Saints +300

• John DeFilippo, offensive coordinator, Minnesota Vikings +500

• Jason Garrett, head coach, Dallas Cowboys +600
https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/article221303610.html
:laugh:Well I will not argue with any of that. We will all see how reality plays out, as it always does, odds whatever may be. :)

Verdict

Reaction score
If Brees were to retire, I can't help but to think that the Cowboys head coaching job would look mighty appealing to Payton. The Saints are a very good team, but let's face it, they're not built for the long haul, and with a 40+ year old quarterback, they never will be.

Conversely, the Cowboys have virtually everything in place that an offensive-minded coach would look for:
  • Young quarterback, who will be around for a long time. And it's well-documented that Payton has an affinity for mobile quarterbacks as well. Before acquiring Hill, Payton talked to Tim Tebow about a similar role several years ago. And rightfully or not, some have compared Dak to Tebow on may occasions. I think he'd be eager to work with and develop Prescott.
  • The league's leading rusher is already in place. And Payton could do much more with Elliott in the passing game than the Linehan dumpoffs.
  • What is still one of the league's top offensive lines. Not the best right now, but they have the potential to get back on top quick.
  • Amari Cooper, Michael Gallup, and a young, talented and improving passing game
Coaching continues to let this talent down and I think that would all change with Payton at the helm. As long as he has a solid coordinator running the defense, I think this team would be a serious contender.
Sign me up with a payton as the O/C. If Jerry wanted it to happen he has enough money to make it happen.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You guys aren't going to like this reply, but Payton would be best here as the offensive coordinator where he could focus strictly on scoring points. He's probably not an improvement over Garrett in terms of being a complete coach.

See, I told you that you wouldn't like it! Lol. With Garrett as the head coach to keep things structured and Payton to run the offense and Richard to run the defense, we might just win a SB this year.
The likelihood of that happening is so remote though. But I am not good with odds. :p

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Payton: "Jerry, How ya' doing buddy? Listen, I'm interested in leaving the Saints organization and coaching closer to home, if you catch my drift.."

Jerry: "Hey, Sean! Well, I'll tell you, the Texans would be lucky to have you. You'll do well there. If we didn't like our guy so much, we'd honestly think about bringin' ya here."

Payton: "........"
:lmao2:Payton had a loss for words, kinda like a momentary loss of memory. I call that 'Jason's Disease'.

Verdict

Reaction score
Really? You can "easily see" Super Bowl winning head coach Sean Payton "joining Jason Garrett's staff as an offensive coordinator"?
:huh:

Out of all of the improbabilities in this entire scenario, that's the most improbable thing I could ever see happening.

Quite honestly it's much more likely than Payton becoming head coach.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

As remote as my hypothetical might be, there's not a prayer that this would ever happen.

And I'll disagree about being the better or more complete head coach too. And that 2010 Super Bowl supports me. As does Payton's track record of success compared to Garrett's.

And Payton will fix the offense. What does Garrett fix?

Verdict

Reaction score
As remote as my hypothetical might be, there's not a prayer that this would ever happen.

And I'll disagree about being the better or more complete head coach too. And that 2010 Super Bowl supports me. As does Payton's track record of success compared to Garrett's.

And Payton will fix the offense. What does Garrett fix?

It's not about what YOU would do. The question is what would Jerry do. And that's all that really matters.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's not about what YOU would do. The question is what would Jerry do. And that's all that really matters.

It's also about what Sean Payton would do. And what he would never do would be to work under a vastly inferior coach. That's all that really matters.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's also about what Sean Payton would do. And what he would never do would be to work under a vastly inferior coach. That's all that really matters.
Payton has experienced working for Jones and the Bensons. There may be significant organizational differences between the two entities that formed a lasting impression on him.

Verdict

Reaction score

Well, that's possible. But I'm not sure why you would make that assumption. There are many instances where head coaches have gone back to coordinator jobs.

That obviously isn't proof that Payton would do that, but it does indicate he might. Most people assume that McClay would leave Dallas for a GM position, but with Jerry, down is up and up is down. Money has that effect on people. And Jerry has plenty of it.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Matt Verderame seems like a talented writer. I especially like the part where he writes:

Despite being parts of different franchises, the duo remain close friends. The kind of friends that talk regularly. The kind of friends that desperately want to beat the hell out of each other when the chance arises.

That would inspire me personally with more confidence in a future Jones/Payton general manager/head coach marriage except I recall another strong friendship involving Jones and Jimmy Johnson. Payton has the benefit of hindsight in regard to Jones' previous working relationship with a good friend. And that circumstance negates any confidence that I might have held.

exciter

Reaction score
This is just for conversation purposes based on Jerry Jones' recent comments and some chatter that I've been hearing.

But how would you personally feel about the following scenario:

There are rumors that Drew Brees might call it quits after this season, especially if he and the Saints manage to win the Super Bowl. If that happened, word is that Sean Payton who look to leave the Saints organization as well. And rumor is that he still has a clause in his contract that he can void it upon any changes in ownership (which has occurred already given Tom Benson's passing).

Payton still has a home in Texas and his son plays high school ball here.

Speaking hypothetically at this point, but if Payton was the "opportunity" in the coming weeks that Jones was referring to, would you be for or against the idea of Payton returning to the Cowboys to coach this team?
From someone who lives in Louisiana, Payton isn't nor has any intention of leaving the Saints! He has an almost God like reverence here amongst Saints fans! When he leaves it will be to enjoy his retirement!