Would you be in favor of trading 4th round pick for DT?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
With Collins foot issues and Irving’s unpredictability would you be in favor of Dallas trading a 4th round pick for a DT?

I suspect there is some team out there w/a surplus.

I’d like to see something like that and I won’t be surprised to see Dallas make such a trade.
depends on who? not every DT is worth a 4th round pick.

kskboys

Reaction score
Hayden is what you get for a 6th or 7th...or for free on cut-down day. A 4th round pick is worth 3 or 4 times as much as a 6th.

From draft value graph:
The 20th pick in round 4 = 62 points
The 20th pick in round 6 = 20 points
Value is irrelevant in this situation. When trading for a player, it's almost purely what a team is willing to give up. You are not going to get quality starters for a 4th, unless you can find someone w/ some sort of problems, and then you had better be able to handle those problems.

We are one of the very few teams who don't value DT's. To get a quality starting DT from a team who isn't some sort of head case, you're looking at a 2nd at the very minimum. For a 4th, you get a stiff.

Sydla

Reaction score
Value is irrelevant in this situation. When trading for a player, it's almost purely what a team is willing to give up. You are not going to get quality starters for a 4th, unless you can find someone w/ some sort of problems, and then you had better be able to handle those problems.

We are one of the very few teams who don't value DT's. To get a quality starting DT from a team who isn't some sort of head case, you're looking at a 2nd at the very minimum. For a 4th, you get a stiff.

This is not necessarily true.

Michael Bennett is still a pretty good DE and would start on a lot of teams and the Eagles got him and a 7th round pick for a 5th round pick (and a throw in WR). Last year, the Eagles got Tim Jernigan by just swapping third round picks. So essentially, they got a DT for just moving down like 15 picks in the 3rd round.

It all just depends on factors surrounding those players. In the case of Jernigan, the Ravens knew he was up for a new contract and didn't think he fit with them anymore so they moved him for whatever they could get. Jernigan played pretty well in Philly last year.

kskboys

Reaction score

Michael Bennett is still a pretty good DE and would start on a lot of teams and the Eagles got him and a 7th round pick for a 5th round pick (and a throw in WR). Last year, the Eagles got Tim Jernigan by just swapping third round picks. So essentially, they got a DT for just moving down like 15 picks in the 3rd round.

It all just depends on factors surrounding those players. In the case of Jernigan, the Ravens knew he was up for a new contract and didn't think he fit with them anymore so they moved him for whatever they could get. Jernigan played pretty well in Philly last year.
True, if you can find a situation like this.

Bennett is a problem player, however, who fits the mold I discussed.

I had wondered why Jernigan was so cheap, glad I got my answer from you. Salary dump. Interesting.

Billyd

Reaction score
Well let’s read the whole story before we call him a waste. But besides shouldn’t that occur anyway with Frederick being called one of the best lineman in football. Anyway here is the truth about that one play you are referring to.....

“One of the videos from practice shows Travis Frederick tossing Brian Price like a bag of dirty laundry in one-on-one pass rush drills. What it doesn’t show is Price got the better of Frederick on reps on either side of that one (some observers speculated that his body slam might have been the product of frustration). Indeed, Price flashed an impressive blend of strength and quickness on the afternoon, much as he did last year before suffering a nasty season-ending knee dislocation.”

Link.....

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/20...raining-camp-2018-wideouts-putting-in-work/3/

True this^

Billyd

Reaction score

Bennett is a nut case though..Who knows what he does next!

Billyd

Reaction score
If one is honest with themselves, that's a list of largely nobodies.

Look around the conference at playoff caliber teams like Philly, LA, Minny and try to argue that what we have at DT is in the same ballpark as what those teams have. All three will probably field good to great defenses in 2018................ and all are built around having great interior DL play.

But here in Dallas, we just hope to squeeze pixy dust from a cow turd.

Well its about Stephen and his inability to realize the worth of a one tech. Id be willing to take a flier on Hankins to shore it up but that also may not be possible if he thinks he is worth more money than he is..Its a lil late to be trying to dance here. COLLINS is kind of the question if he is ready. WE NEED a one tech that can hold up and force the double inside..Keep the guards off our lbrs. IVE said before Min 310 in weight..320 be better..

speedkilz88

Reaction score

Jernigan had surgery for a herniated disk and isn't even playing right now. Good player when he's right.

Sydla

Reaction score
True, if you can find a situation like this.

Bennett is a problem player, however, who fits the mold I discussed.

I had wondered why Jernigan was so cheap, glad I got my answer from you. Salary dump. Interesting.

There were also some whispers about injuries with Jernigan and how he wasn't an ideal fit in their defense.

Sydla

Reaction score
Well its about Stephen and his inability to realize the worth of a one tech. Id be willing to take a flier on Hankins to shore it up but that also may not be possible if he thinks he is worth more money than he is..Its a lil late to be trying to dance here. COLLINS is kind of the question if he is ready. WE NEED a one tech that can hold up and force the double inside..Keep the guards off our lbrs. IVE said before Min 310 in weight..320 be better..

They missed the boat back in March and April. There were a couple of vets, that while not flashy, would have given us a competent big body 1 Tech at a fairly cheap price.

I have no idea what Marinelli and the FO think they are doing at the DT spot.

Billyd

Reaction score
They missed the boat back in March and April. There were a couple of vets, that while not flashy, would have given us a competent big body 1 Tech at a fairly cheap price.

I have no idea what Marinelli and the FO think they are doing at the DT spot.

Their need there is a one tech that has three tech Qualities..more of a rotational...Marinelli Doesnt want the 330 to 350 plugger with little lateral speed..They Want the 290 to 300 guy that gets the gap fast and collapses the pocket up the middle..Im not sure there are many of those kinds of guys, further they dont hold up....

Billyd

Reaction score
STEPHEN the Non football guy doesnt want to invest there, For some reason the end that can kick inside is more their want..Okay fine get get a Dmn one tech for 1st and 2nd down..Straight forward to me.

Sydla

Reaction score
Their need there is a one tech that has three tech Qualities..more of a rotational...Marinelli Doesnt want the 330 to 350 plugger with little lateral speed..They Want the 290 to 300 guy that gets the gap fast and collapses the pocket up the middle..Im not sure there are many of those kinds of guys, further they dont hold up....

Agreed. I think it's a misguided approach. Why do all their DTs have to be those types? Why not have at least one, sloppy, plugger in the mix? He doesn't have to be great or expensive.

In other words........... how much better are you feeling about the DT situation and being able to keep guys off the LBs if you have, say, Heloti Ngata on a one year deal for $3MM?

I know I would feel a bit better.

Flamma

Reaction score
Agreed. I think it's a misguided approach. Why do all their DTs have to be those types? Why not have at least one, sloppy, plugger in the mix? He doesn't have to be great or expensive.

In other words........... how much better are you feeling about the DT situation and being able to keep guys off the LBs if you have, say, Heloti Ngata on a one year deal for $3MM?

I know I would feel a bit better.

I agree with you. It's always good to have one flesh Gollum collapsing the pocket between the G-C gap. They're hard to redirect and they tend to be annoying to the offense up the middle.

Billyd

Reaction score
They want young guys to develop but it hasnt worked other tha
N Mclain for one year..So Its a fail until you get a guy developed..To me the never ending rebuild on the dline merry go round!