Would you be in favor of trading 4th round pick for DT?

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All our d-line men are in something of a rotation. For a fourth round pick I feel we could get a DT that could start on some (but not most) teams.

But the DT's are often replaced by DE's on passing downs... There's your rotation.

On top of that they seem to like Price, they have Collins, who should be back the middle of August and Ward, whom they like. That's not including Irving and Crawford who will play some 3-tech.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How many times do we need to get beat up the middle before we sign a guy like Hankins? My only question, besides why haven't we signed him already, is why hasn't someone else not signed him already? Can he still stuff the middle?

Billyd

Reaction score
First of all Stephen is the one with the issue on one techs..Second i dont see them try at this point since they had chances already in the draft and in FA to do something there.

ALTHOUGH I like Irving, he is a liability in the run game at times..Ability to be trapped. LIKE LAST SEASON..Having said that we need a solid one tech, to stuff the run and keep the lbers clean..

I have a bad feeling that Stephen and his mouth could fup another season by not realizing, or just being stubborn, like backup qb and Left guard last year,or when he got cute on Chaz Green to begin with..

I wouldnt take too much from Brice getting chumped by Martin, most of the league gets chumped by Martin and I read today that Brice is winning a fair amount as well..

Id still sign Hankins. HE is a stump planted in the run game, but Dallas continues to think 280 pd tackles can do anything.. 310 minimal!

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
A 4th round pick is what you spend if you're looking for a backup DT. Cowboys already have those.

They need to spend at least a 2nd and find a starter.

I see no evidence that Price rises to the level of backup or rotational player. I'll take the flier on Ward because of history and potential. Price played last year. Warm body. Scrub.

kskboys

Reaction score
You are quite adept at revisionist history. At the time of the draft we had two very good starting tackles, a tandem most would put in the top 12 in the NFL.

Irving’s previous suspension was for PEDs. Did we know he had a street-drug problem? I’m guessing we didn’t. And Collins was hurt after the draft.
Whooooaaaa hossie. I thought we were having a discussion. You are accusing me of something that you have no idea if I engaged in or not(I did not). I think if you want to have a nice discussion, you should be more careful as to throwing insults. Please don't quote me again unless you are serious about a discussion. This ridiculous mudslinging for no reason reeks of what we hear in politics on a daily basis. Thanks.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
My thing is this. If a team decides, oh, I want to just run it down their throats, how will this line fare?

Let's not forget we play in a division with two teams drafted RBs high, which means they intend to use them. A lot.

Our counter is what? A finally healthy footed Maliek Collins? Jihad Ward? Brian Price? The defensive interior is frightening.

Billyd

Reaction score
I see no evidence that Price rises to the level of backup or rotational player. I'll take the flier on Ward because of history and potential. Price played last year. Warm body. Scrub.
Brice played well before he was injured...Greenbay had him for a reason.He is also decent sized. I WISH Wood would show up.Ward is a 3 tech..if he is playing the 1 he will be getting a do over in Oakland!

ShiningStar

Reaction score
My thing is this. If a team decides, oh, I want to just run it down their throats, how will this line fare?

Let's not forget we play in a division with two teams drafted RBs high, which means they intend to use them. A lot.

we dont know yet. I want to like the new OL coach, but lets see what he does with the line first. I remember a few people telling me Pollack will be ok, and that didnt turn out so good. Now to be fair, when I think good OL, i dont think Bengals. Lets be honest tho, i dont know who he had to work with.

All our new OL coach has to do is put these guys in the spot of their strengths and stop the false starts and i ll be excited. What do i want, "impose your will" I want this like knowing, acting, and walking like it can impose its will on anyone it will face. Impose it and let Zeke and company run run run. Than let Dak take his shots.

kevm3

Reaction score
If we're going to give away picks, just give away the 2nd and get Earl. I don't particularly care to give away picks for warm bodies. We're not going to find much talent giving away a 4th. We'd just be better off waiting for roster cuts. Those deals with Jay Ajayi with a 4th are rare.

Billyd

Reaction score
Whooooaaaa hossie. I thought we were having a discussion. You are accusing me of something that you have no idea if I engaged in or not(I did not). I think if you want to have a nice discussion, you should be more careful as to throwing insults. Please don't quote me again unless you are serious about a discussion. This ridiculous mudslinging for no reason reeks of what we hear in politics on a daily basis. Thanks.

KS Thats incorrect Collins was Hurt before the draft. HE has been hurt every year in the offseason, to his credit he has played thru it..He is a three tech and who knows at this point if he will return before the season starts, and irving will definitely be out..Irving can be a liability in the run game as well..

Billyd

Reaction score
If we're going to give away picks, just give away the 2nd and get Earl. I don't particularly care to give away picks for warm bodies. We're not going to find much talent giving away a 4th. We'd just be better off waiting for roster cuts. Those deals with Jay Ajayi with a 4th are rare.

EARL wont controll the run game or keep our lbrs clear of guards.. Let Earl go. ITS NOT GONNA HAPPEN!

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
With Collins foot issues and Irving’s unpredictability would you be in favor of Dallas trading a 4th round pick for a DT?

I suspect there is some team out there w/a surplus.

I’d like to see something like that and I won’t be surprised to see Dallas make such a trade.
Depends on the DT. Heh, old bean.

Billyd

Reaction score
we dont know yet. I want to like the new OL coach, but lets see what he does with the line first. I remember a few people telling me Pollack will be ok, and that didnt turn out so good. Now to be fair, when I think good OL, i dont think Bengals. Lets be honest tho, i dont know who he had to work with.

All our new OL coach has to do is put these guys in the spot of their strengths and stop the false starts and i ll be excited. What do i want, "impose your will" I want this like knowing, acting, and walking like it can impose its will on anyone it will face. Impose it and let Zeke and company run run run. Than let Dak take his shots.

Pollack was fine, He wasnt the one who didnt replace Leary with a solid other than Collins..Frank ate it for Stephens stupid move!

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Brice played well before he was injured...Greenbay had him for a reason.He is also decent sized. I WISH Wood would show up.Ward is a 3 tech..if he is playing the 1 he will be getting a do over in Oakland!

Brice = Brian Price? My brain did that too.

Green Bay had him for a reason. And dumped him for a reason. I didn't see "playing well" last year. I saw scrub.

I expect Ward to play 3tech, particularly while Irving is gone.

Sure would be nice if Woods came on at 1tech.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score

Great but I was referring to the DL, not the OL.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
Great but I was referring to the DL, not the OL.

sure you made that quite clear and i missed it. so i blame you.

What are we going to do? i will tell you. we re going to take those reamings and a lot of fans are going to be very proud.

Personally, i dont know, i dont know why this FO, organization as a whole , every member of Jones family looks at this team and say "you know what dude, another year keep making the same mistakes, it ll pay off. We re going to get gashed and stand there on the side lines and say "gosh dang it beaver"

Every year we do like Charlie Brown, Lucy sets up that football and we keep making the same mistakes. Why do we hate the DL and safety so much? We have hated those two positions for so long, i cant even say its not funny because it is the biggest joke in football. Here comes another season of the organization saying "hey guys, lets ignore these positions again, but you know we ll just keep fooling the fans. They love mediocrity.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Look guys, we aren’t getting a big DT. How many chances and how many years have we had the opportunity? We could have done it at any time. Marinelli wants DE that can play DT as well. He wants to rotate smaller lighter players in the middle and depend on LB more to stop the run if they get through the middle.
I agree with your assessment glim, but I would change the "IF" to "WHEN" they get through the middle. LOL
Needless to say, I don't like Marinelli's DL style, I'd much prefer to see a big mean run stuffing 1 Tech in the middle.

Toro9

Reaction score
When's the last time the Cowboys used anything higher than 6th rounder in a trade?