Would you be in favor of trading 4th round pick for DT?

waving monkey

Reaction score
Tim Settle, Maurice Hurst, Fatukasi, RJ Macintosh, Sebastian Joseph, Andrew Brown,

There's some 5th and later rounders for you. Your computer broken that you needed me to do the research!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, though, we hear this craptastic excuse every year for not addressing a position of major need, DT. Then we scramble and pick up some stiff and laud how good he's going to be and that brag that he's playing well when he's not. Same story every year.

How in the world can you not see the need at DT?
Because th guy that actually runs the DL appears content to go with the players in hand
but you know better :rolleyes:

dckid

Reaction score
With Collins foot issues and Irving’s unpredictability would you be in favor of Dallas trading a 4th round pick for a DT?

I suspect there is some team out there w/a surplus.

I’d like to see something like that and I won’t be surprised to see Dallas make such a trade.
How about we go sign Hankins?

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
With Collins foot issues and Irving’s unpredictability would you be in favor of Dallas trading a 4th round pick for a DT?

I suspect there is some team out there w/a surplus.

I’d like to see something like that and I won’t be surprised to see Dallas make such a trade.

I think we're thinking that way because of Collins foot injury. For me it depends how that injury progresses. Same foot as last year. I assume the doctor's and training staff know how it's progressing. I don't see adding any type of big name DT, I think we'll give the DT's on the team lot's of time. Churn the bottom and add a DT, yep likely. Trade a 4'th rounder, doubtful IMO

John813

Reaction score
It would have to be a young DT with some upside who possibly doesn't fit in the new DC's scheme.

IE being changed from a 3 tech DT to now possibly play either NT or DE in a 3-4 but not exactly being a good fit for either.

Hypothetically, I would trade for Jordan Phillips, but not for a 4th rounder. Talent is there. Consistency is the part of his game he hasn't mastered. For a 330lb DT, he's quite athletic.

DanA

Reaction score
It would have to be a young DT with some upside who possibly doesn't fit in the new DC's scheme.

IE being changed from a 3 tech DT to now possibly play either NT or DE in a 3-4 but not exactly being a good fit for either.

Hypothetically, I would trade for Jordan Phillips, but not for a 4th rounder. Talent is there. Consistency is the part of his game he hasn't mastered. For a 330lb DT, he's quite athletic.

I'm not really sure why we wouldn't just go Hankins but I'd happily trade for any of Grady Jarrett, Jordan Phillips or Malcom Brown who are in the last year of their contracts.

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
Price was beat down like a step child by FredBeard this week. Not a good sign.

Well let’s read the whole story before we call him a waste. But besides shouldn’t that occur anyway with Frederick being called one of the best lineman in football. Anyway here is the truth about that one play you are referring to.....

“One of the videos from practice shows Travis Frederick tossing Brian Price like a bag of dirty laundry in one-on-one pass rush drills. What it doesn’t show is Price got the better of Frederick on reps on either side of that one (some observers speculated that his body slam might have been the product of frustration). Indeed, Price flashed an impressive blend of strength and quickness on the afternoon, much as he did last year before suffering a nasty season-ending knee dislocation.”

Link.....

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/20...raining-camp-2018-wideouts-putting-in-work/3/

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How about we go sign Hankins?

Is it as simple as that? Gotta assume there is a reason he hasn’t already signed with someone. Probably expects a bigger contract than anyone is willing to give.

Verdict

Reaction score
Is it as simple as that? Gotta assume there is a reason he hasn’t already signed with someone. Probably expects a bigger contract than anyone is willing to give.

Either he is asking for too much money or he is nuclear waste untouchable for some other reason. I think the guy can still play.

Sydla

Reaction score
An under the radar move that could have helped this team IMO would have been to bring in Ngata for one year as a 1 Tech. He got a one year deal for $3MM in Philly to be a starter (until Jernigan is completely healthy) next to Cox.

He's not flashy, he's obviously an older player and hasn't been as good as he was as a young player, but he's a plugger in the middle that would have fit here both for need and in terms of cost.

I will never understand our DC's and this front office's approach to the DT spot. It's maddening IMO.

Sydla

Reaction score
Right Defensive Tackle
  1. Jihad Ward
  2. Brian Price
  3. Daniel Ross
Left Defensive Tackle
  1. Maliek Collins
  2. Antwaun Woods
  3. Richard Ash
  4. Lewis Neal
https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys-team-depth-chart

These guys for now will battle it out, Dallas will look at the wavier wire just as every other team will be doing after cuts are made. As for any trades? I don't see that coming

If one is honest with themselves, that's a list of largely nobodies.

Look around the conference at playoff caliber teams like Philly, LA, Minny and try to argue that what we have at DT is in the same ballpark as what those teams have. All three will probably field good to great defenses in 2018................ and all are built around having great interior DL play.

But here in Dallas, we just hope to squeeze pixy dust from a cow turd.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
If one is honest with themselves, that's a list of largely nobodies.

Look around the conference at playoff caliber teams like Philly, LA, Minny and try to argue that what we have at DT is in the same ballpark as what those teams have. All three will probably field good to great defenses in 2018................ and all are built around having great interior DL play.

But here in Dallas, we just hope to squeeze pixy dust from a cow turd.

I'm not making them out to be pro bowl players but it is who the Cowboys currently have. You are not going to trade a 4th rd pick and get much in return nor better than what we have now. People want to make unrealistic trades a low draft pick for a great player? That is not going to happen.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
No IMO. I would rather trade a pick for ET. Part of me wants Dallas to live with their decision to not focus on DT in the off season. If it burns them I want Coach Rod, Garrett and Jerry to take the blame. They have put a lot of faith in Jones and Ward, and I think it is a good (but not great) bet. Both were high picks and now they have a chance to re-prove themselves. One mistake that seems unforgivable is the decision to allow Crawford to go all-in on DE. Such a stupid move. Guy does not have the skill set to play outside yet he lost a lot of weight and is going to focus there. He would have been much better at 3-Tech and would have been a big help in the rotation.

cowboyec

Reaction score
no.
I just wish they'd draft one once in awhile.
but I wouldnt be surprised if they sign one that is soon to be axed elsewhere.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I agree with your assessment glim, but I would change the "IF" to "WHEN" they get through the middle. LOL
Needless to say, I don't like Marinelli's DL style, I'd much prefer to see a big mean run stuffing 1 Tech in the middle.
Yeah sometimes as the game goes on we start getting gashed with the run. I would love to have a big nasty to rotate in when this starts happening.