Twitter: Would you call the Bears about Nick Foles or Andy Dalton?

My3Sons

Reaction score
Rivers is probably the most stable option that won’t cost a lot of money or a draft pick. By that I mean he is a currently retired veteran with no starting aspirations.

But he’s also immobile and a much different quarterback than our starter, so a lot of offensive adjustments would have to be made.
All the options have warts. As a backup to Dak, I am least scared of his. The cost would probably be reasonable and no wasted draft capital.

shabazz

Reaction score
We’ve seen Dalton here and he’s clearly limited and couldn’t make a playoff run

With Cam there’s More potential and you don’t have to give up a pick.

Dalton would be ok if we’re talking just a couple games in mid season

blueblood70

Reaction score
Are you OK with Cooper Rush if we lose Dak for a few games? Not saying it will happen, but you never know. Look, we're on track for what could be a special season. We know Stephen and Jerry have never been accused of being pro-active. I would hate to see the trade deadline pass ( Nov 2 ) and Dak goes down for a few games and we are stuck with Cooper Rush. I'm guessing a 7th or 6th round pick is all it would take to upgrade the position with Dalton or Foles.

we discussed this to death last week..no need for more assumption and opinion on the exact discussion in about 5threads.. it a little late now with daks calf if they haven't done it by now, they wont..

if dak truly end sup with long term injury they will go grab vet off the trash heap somewhere and hope to ride the OL and our 2 head run game with 4 receiving threats and hope for the best.

starfan1

Reaction score
Id like to know what we have in Will Grier I already know what we got in Rush which is serviceable but nothing special. Dak's continued health should concern fans a little. I am starting to feel like i did in 2013 and beyond wondering if the cowboys will get a legit back up in the event we lose our starter for multiple games but i also know we got to pay them.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
First of all we don’t need a backup of quality because Dak has a minor injury. I would stay away from Dalton and Foles because they have big salaries and would cost draft capital. If Dak ends up having a long term injury you just go with Cam because at the very least we would have a top rated running attack. Cam is still the second best running quarterback in the league.

There's a reason Cam is still looking for a team .........hell, even his old coach, Riveria wouldn't touch him when Fitz went down. I don't anyone questions his talent, he's just not every coach/team cup of tea (lol)

blueblood70

Reaction score

we saw dalton with a 3rd string team and horrible defense and a bad DC and no FAs working out..historical amount of vital injuries'.

literally had NO Talent with him..he also missed hat 203 game's himself? record amount of injuries an all very important areas especially OL, Garret gilbert and nooch also played, it was a mess..
i mean come on stop the Dalton didn't work out..

on this team at this very moment a guy like dalton could drive the bus and not mess it up much better then a rush or Greir..

sorry man soem of you truly were blind last year on who was playing ..it wasn't our starters..

this 6 game run we are on this year is an actual team a solid backup can win with, the wins won't be as dominant or pretty but plenty of talent all healthy and more coming to win games in this division with a guy like Dalton..

dak makes us explosive but lets not think that a backup could do well in this situation as well. that OL and =Zeke/pollard and better defense and moore calling plays better will be far different with vet backup then it was last year..

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Backup QB
  • A guy who knows your system and has some chemistry with receivers, can get you in right play and knows his progressions, but has limited skills
  • A guy who used to be a starter in the NFL, is presumed to have a better skill set, but can’t find a starter’s job, may even be 3rd string on a bad team, and doesn’t know your offense and has no chemistry with receivers
  • A guy who doesn’t know your system and has no chemistry with your receivers, is limited as a passer but is extremely mobile and can get first downs with his legs

I’ll stick with Cooper Rush at this point as the #1 bullet above. He has some mobility, knows the system, and will know presnap to whom the pass should go. His arm is limited, but Dak isn’t throwing a lot of deep balls now either. Our offense has a healthy OL, a pretty good run game, and an excellent group of receivers. He can get the ball to the open player.

Next year, bring in a veteran backup QB who can work with the receivers and learn the system in camp.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Here's what's on the streets..........

• Rivers has admitted staying in shape but would only come back in the right situation.........translate, non-playoff teams or bottom feeders don't bother calling.
  • Cam recently said no question he wanna continue playing .........persona may bring more distraction than we need
  • RG3 .... a few years ago I would have said hell no but I'd take him over Cooper

https://nfltraderumors.co/2021-nfl-free-agent-list/
yes meaning if Daks injury was season ending them you call a rivers type and he would come to this situation..he wont come hold a clipboard/ipad lol and wait for something that may never happen..

shabazz

Reaction score
we saw dalton with a 3rd string team and horrible defense and a bad DC and no FAs working out..historical amount of vital injuries'.

literally had NO Talent with him..he also missed hat 203 game's himself? record amount of injuries an all very important areas especially OL, Garret gilbert and nooch also played, it was a mess..
i mean come on stop the Dalton didn't work out..

on this team at this very moment a guy like dalton could drive the bus and not mess it up much better then a rush or Greir..

sorry man soem of you truly were blind last year on who was playing ..it wasn't our starters..

this 6 game run we are on this year is an actual team a solid backup can win with, the wins won't be as dominant or pretty but plenty of talent all healthy and more coming to win games in this division with a guy like Dalton..

dak makes us explosive but lets not think that a backup could do well in this situation as well. that OL and =Zeke/pollard and better defense and moore calling plays better will be far different with vet backup then it was last year..

Some of weren’t “blind” last season. It was clear that most of the team gave up after Dak’s injury last season Zeke did very little to support Daltons offense.

But in my opinion although Dalton can be serviceable during the regular season, it’s just my belief that Cam has more potential in playoffs because he’s more than one dimensional and well rested.....and we’re pretty much in the playoffs so that’s where my focus is on, in terms of QB depth

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Yes. The Joneses are completely reactive, not proactive. They’ve had two weeks to make a move for another quarterback and have actively chosen not to.

That says one of two things:
  1. They know that Dak is fine and the calf is no reason for concern.
  2. They’re dumb and will find out the hard way - again.

I'm not too concerned about the current injury. It's any other injuries after the trade deadline in what could be a special season if we're stuck with Cooper a few games.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
:rolleyes: end of debate, you're disqualified with not enough ability to form a salient thought.

starfan1

Reaction score

Cam sucks too at this point IMO

Mannix

Reaction score
Rush is straight trash…worst backup in the league….I would take anyone over him…BTW, never should have given up on Mike White….not sure why Rush got 10x more leash than he did.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not too concerned about the current injury. It's any other injuries after the trade deadline in what could be a special season if we're stuck with Cooper a few games.

I hear ya. Backup quarterback is certainly the biggest concern when it comes to depth. Losing Dak for any period of time could derail a potentially memorable season.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Are you OK with Cooper Rush if we lose Dak for a few games? Not saying it will happen, but you never know. Look, we're on track for what could be a special season. We know Stephen and Jerry have never been accused of being pro-active. I would hate to see the trade deadline pass ( Nov 2 ) and Dak goes down for a few games and we are stuck with Cooper Rush. I'm guessing a 7th or 6th round pick is all it would take to upgrade the position with Dalton or Foles.

foles and Dalton are about the same, except Foles has playoff experience in winning games that matter and Dalton doesn't. Dalton is more expensive and we have seen that act. it wasn't that good. Foles is 3rd on the depth chart. so it wouldn't cost much to get him. I would go for foles.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Some of weren’t “blind” last season. It was clear that most of the team gave up after Dak’s injury last season Zeke did very little to support Daltons offense.

But in my opinion although Dalton can be serviceable during the regular season, it’s just my belief that Cam has more potential in playoffs because he’s more than one dimensional and well rested.....and we’re pretty much in the playoffs so that’s where my focus is on, in terms of QB depth

lets get this clear!

they played with a patchwork OL, 11 different combos over 16 games, cwill was the only starter who played all games and the ol is key to an efficient offense..and Cwill this year maybe our worst graded OL...

period end of story

add a horrible defense , st s, and dc..even moore wasnt the same as he is currently.

this season a backup like dalton could succeed in this offsne.no doubt no debate

Look at Mahomes, tell me his most glaring issue for that offense.

its that new OL not gelling and not working well in that heavy RPO based play calls..they cant run , hes running for his life most plays...

what was the big issue in the sb, OL...

last year we had no viable OL, no defense, and bad play calling etc etc

not a year to judge dalton..

6-10 ,im betting dak played all year maybe we go 9-7, it was just terrible. also dalton didnt play of finish in 3 games , so all those losses are not on him.

like i said Dak makes us explosives' and dominant at times and we win big but we could still win much closer hard fought games with this offense as is right now with a dalton type.

cams an option but hes not going to be a happy backup, will try to prove he can be a starter and hes not great locker room guy..his ego, his need to be the guy, hes an attention hog, hes the TO of Qbs. makes him a bad backup..

its why a nick foles won a Sb , he stepped into a team on roll and he just steered it in the same direction it was going..

we all know Daks better then Dalton but that doesnt mean Dalton couldn't keep this moving in the right direction should dak go down longer term.it doesnt have to be dalton but he does know the offense, likes dallas, and would be a backup not trying to prove anything.