Would you have tanked for Ryan Leaf?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Lol! Me too, fortunately more on the winning side. Those losses were tough, you feel so helpless. I would get in my coaches ear and tell them to keep coaching. Kids came of the field and we'd keep coaching. If they saw us quit, they would quit. I hate quitters and tanking.

Yeah, when I was a kid, those kinds of games where you lose big, you would always hear it after the game from the Coaching Staff but honestly, no matter the tone taken by the Staff, I always felt like it didn't matter. I always felt like we didn't get it done and it would stick with me forever it seemed. To be honest, that was a short falling on my behalf. I would hold on to those games longer then I should have probably. I felt like it would never be worse then that, until that is, I became a Coach. When that happened, it felt 10 times worse then it did when I was a player. I felt like I let down those kids and truth is, in those kinds of games, we did. Obviously, you can lose to better talent no matter how well you Coach but when kids get beat down, it sticks with you way worse cause they look to you and what can you say? I mean, as a player I felt like I didn't do all I could in those kinds of games but when you become a Coach and you know your kids are doing all they can, you can't help but feel like you didn't do all you could. At least, that's the way I always felt.

But you still learn something from that. It's part of life because aside from the personal stake you have in Ws and Ls, it's really the kids that you have to look in the eyes after those games. That's pretty tough to me. Why does anybody Coach?

:laugh:

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't care what the game is, if you lose on purpose or root for your team to lose on purpose, you are a loser. Anyone that has strapped them on and worked their butt off, bled, sweat and put in the time understands that. You win more for the guy that lines up next to you than you do for yourself. I haven't coached in 4 years and last Friday I was asked by one of my old assistants to give a pregame speech for his team. They are not very good and have pretty much quit. I talked to them about heart, balls, pride and how fighting for a win, regardless of the scores defines the men they will become. They won 31-14. They hadn't scored 31 points all year. Its a pride thing. Never lose on purpose!
No 8-8 for you this year and sweat out every game and every loss which will bring us closer to a stud rookie QB!!!

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, when I was a kid, those kinds of games where you lose big, you would always hear it after the game from the Coaching Staff but honestly, no matter the tone taken by the Staff, I always felt like it didn't matter. I always felt like we didn't get it done and it would stick with me forever it seemed. To be honest, that was a short falling on my behalf. I would hold on to those games longer then I should have probably. I felt like it was would never be worse then that, until that is, I became a Coach. When that happened, it felt 10 times worse then it did when I was a player. I felt like I let down those kids and truth is, in those kinds of games, we did. Obviously, you can lose to better talent no matter how well you Coach but when kids get beat down, it sticks with you way worse cause they look to you and what can you say? I mean, as a player I felt like I didn't do all I could in those kinds of games but when you become a Coach and you know your kids are doing all they can, you can't help but feel like you didn't do all you could. At least, that's the way I always felt.

But you still learn something from that. It's part of life because aside from the personal stake you have in Ws and Ls, it's really the kids that you have to look in the eyes after those games. That's pretty tough to me. Why does anybody Coach?

:laugh:
I remember some of those looks and having no answers, I felt so helpless. It's just a game, but countless hours in the weight room, on the 7 on 7 fields. The sacrifices that their families made to allow them to put in the work and not work in the fileds to make money for the family. I took it personal, that's why I cannot condone tanking for any reason.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not stupid, I know who I was before and after the rehab! Frikkin hater!
tenor.gif

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No 8-8 for you this year and sweat out every game and every loss which will bring us closer to a stud rookie QB!!!

People like you will never understand. That might be a good thing. To me, it matters. I do not like to lose for any reason. Salud! I kinda wish I was like you, but my sack won't let me.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I remember some of those looks and having no answers, I felt so helpless. It's just a game, but countless hours in the weight room, on the 7 on 7 fields. The sacrifices that their families made to allow them to put in the work and not work in the fileds to make money for the family. I took it personal, that's why I cannot condone tanking for any reason.

I get that. My experience as a Coach goes no further then HS ball but in the Pros, I think it's money so the dynamics are different. But I understand what you are saying. I don't disagree. I just think that money is always going to be a factor in those kinds of decisions. That's not me or you, that's just how it is now IMO.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I get that. My experience as a Coach goes no further then HS ball but in the Pros, I think it's money so the dynamics are different. But I understand what you are saying. I don't disagree. I just think that money is always going to be a factor in those kinds of decisions. That's not me or you, that's just how it is now IMO.
I agree, but players are playing for contracts and a job. I don't think they want to lose.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I agree, but players are playing for contracts and a job. I don't think they want to lose.

I question that. The way contracts are set up now, the role agents play, I wonder if players take a laissez faire attitude at times. I mean, they are going to get paid and depending on where they might be in terms of career, I have to wonder. You see guys get let go and move on to other teams. Sometimes a better situation, sometimes worse but always getting paid. I think what you say here is definitely true about guys playing on rookie deals or trying to get to a position where they have made enough money to be comfortable in life regardless. I think that's definitely true but once they reach that point, I have to wonder. Not all players certainly, some are just going to play until they get carried off the field. Others, they are in it for money.

That's why I never question players who some say "Play To Long". It's that attitude you speak of that makes them go longer then some fans think they should. If they don't have that attitude, you don't get the great player the fans loved to watch.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I question that. The way contracts are set up now, the role agents play, I wonder if players take a laissez faire attitude at times. I mean, they are going to get paid and depending on where they might be in terms of career, I have to wonder. You see guys get let go and move on to other teams. Sometimes a better situation, sometimes worse but always getting paid. I think what you say here is definitely true about guys playing on rookie deals or trying to get to a position where they have made enough money to be comfortable in life regardless. I think that's definitely true but once they reach that point, I have to wonder. Not all players certainly, some are just going to play until they get carried off the field. Others, they are in it for money.

That's why I never question players who some say "Play To Long". It's that attitude you speak of that makes them go longer then some fans think they should. If they don't have that attitude, you don't get the great player the fans loved to watch.
I have a couple of close friends that played in the NFL for about 9 or 10 years each. They did everything they could to hold on as long as they could. I retired as a coach when I turned 50, I had a three year contract and was tempted to stay on and collect a paycheck, but after my mom died I lost my drive. I was to worried about my dad. My superintendent told me to stay on and let my staff do the heavy lifting. I wasn't raised that way. If I couldn't give it everything I had, I didn't want to do it. Great conversation, thanks!!!! I love talking with fans like you.......you get it. Salud!

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I have a couple of close friends that played in the NFL for about 9 or 10 years each. They did everything they could to hold on as long as they could. I retired as a coach when I turned 50, I had a three year contract and was tempted to stay on and collect a paycheck, but after my mom died I lost my drive. I was to worried about my dad. My superintendent told me to stay on and let my staff do the heavy lifting. I wasn't raised that way. If I couldn't give it everything I had, I didn't want to do it. Great conversation, thanks!!!! I love talking with fans like you.......you get it. Salud!

Feeling is definitely mutual. Have a good Weekend Ranch.

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
We aren’t tanking for a QB.

You’re drafting a 10+ year blue chip LT who will play LG until Smith retires / injured. Sewell plays nasty and that’s what we need
There are a lot of tankers in here that did not get this memo then.

Creeper

Reaction score
Point taken. There are no guarantees for any of the QBs taken in the first round. The Cards gave up on Rosen. The Jet will likely give up on Darnold. The of failed 1st round picks is long. But I do think college football has changed and QBs coming out of college today are better prepared. I also think the scouting is a lot better. I don't think Leaf would be a top pick today.

Colombiacowboy

Reaction score
It makes no sense to tank when the likelihood of the Jets or Jags winning 2, possibly 3, football games is darn near impossible.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
You are reaching here. Any tank should be organic and the only thing thing that sets us back ten years is the same that has set us back 25 years already.
Yeah..

Just look what has happened having Dak and Zeke.

We get both of them in 2016..immediately go 13-3 with home field throughout the playoffs..

then Garrett can't handle the pressure and we are one and done.

We never have recovered. And it's been downhill since.

So even if we get the #1 pick and Goldie Locks is right there..

do we really thing Jerrah and Stephen will not screw it up?

Of course they will. Dallas will try to get too cute and trade the pick for lesser talent and we will just go backwards some more.

It's a pipedream wrapped in an old newspaper fish wrap.

Never going to change anything.

We know this team.