Would you interview just two people for your job?

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
I thought about including this in one of the multiple threads on the new hire, but feel it would just get lost and ignored. But I'd like to present this question, if you were hiring for a job, any job, much less the head coach of the Dallas Cowboys. Would you interview just two people and then call it a day?

Depends on the candidate and what experience HR is looking for.

Not uncommon.

CWR

Reaction score
No hiring manager would keep their job if they ever hired the 2nd person they talked to. But again, this is the Joneses and the Cowboys...

The normal rules of business have never applied.

Not true. It depends on results. You can bet if that manager was wrong he wouldn't last. If he's right though 2 or 200 doesn't matter.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
Most of us don't work in the NFL. These guys know everyone already. IF the decision was to go with an experienced HC, then why interview 10 when you already know what you need to know about them? It's not there are 100's of people with NFL HC experience. I think the Jones' knew the direction they wanted to go and they made a decision quickly. If they wanted to go the other route, i.e. college or nfl coordinator, then they would need to interview several to determine who was ready for that leap. But that is not the case with hiring an experienced HC, there aren't that many and they are all well known within the NFL community. Same thing in Washington, they went with their guy from the start.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
No hiring manager would keep their job if they ever hired the 2nd person they talked to. But again, this is the Joneses and the Cowboys...

The normal rules of business have never applied.

You clearly haven't worked in IT. When I find someone I like, who is a good fit and has the expertise I am looking for, I don't mess around and hire them on the spot.

Way too much competition out there and far too many bloated resumes from unqualified people to draw out the process.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
I thought about including this in one of the multiple threads on the new hire, but feel it would just get lost and ignored. But I'd like to present this question, if you were hiring for a job, any job, much less the head coach of the Dallas Cowboys. Would you interview just two people and then call it a day?
happens all the time. many job. postings are posted for legal reasons and HAVE to interview X number of people to satisfy legal requirements.

quite often they know who they want and wouldn't interview anyone if they didn't have to.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
So Giants were basically bluffing? They're probably going to get Rhule, Meyer, or someone we should've been looking for.
He said Rule makes good money with Baylor and he not sure if he leaves the college game this year. Remember all these coaches have the same agents.

willia451

Reaction score
Jerry probably remembers all those times GB kicked our *** and thinks he doesn't need any more proof this is a massive upgrade.

erod

Reaction score
If the one you want is right in front of you, you don't let him leave the building without making a serious offer.

That's Management 101.

garyv

Reaction score
I believe they started doing homework a month ago. They eliminated the College Coaches from the beginning.
Now your top two NFL Coaches are Belecheat and Sean Payton. I think they realize those two they are not
going to get and definitely don't want to give up any picks for them. I think Zimmer the other option may stay
in Minny or even if available a good defensive minded coach but not neccessarily for the Offense so really
would Zimmer bring you anything McCarthy want probably not. I think they looked at McCarthy and realized
he brings in lots of past experience and success. In saying this I think he was the best available without taking
risks on assistants that have never been a HC your still rolling the dice that they can be a HC. I think they
studied it and with other teams having openings they might loose McCarthy if they don't make a move. I personally
like him over the skins hiring of Rivera. If they do hire Mike Nolan I even like it better than Jack Del Rio the skins
new DC so this is my opinion. The only thing I will say Mike needs to have the ability to bring in his own staff.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
happens all the time. many job. postings are posted for legal reasons and HAVE to interview X number of people to satisfy legal requirements.

quite often they know who they want and wouldn't interview anyone if they didn't have to.

Sure, because they know someone, not because they're the best candidate. We know all about nepotism and hiring your buddies here already.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Yeah, you rubber stamp anything and everything this team does like a mindless, brainless shill, and have the nerve to claim anything goes past anyone else.
:facepalm:

They could have kept Garrett and idiots like you would have hailed it as a shred move.

Retail chains put more thought into their hires than this team did.

No I just see why not wasting time doing worthless interviews when they already have the guy they want. There are big companies that have a SINGLE person they want for a senior position and go get that person and don't waste time interviewing people they already know they don't want. You must be upset because the person you either like or was sure the Cowboys were going to hire wasn't even asked to the dance.

basilhayden

Reaction score
Keep the populous happy. To many fans are ok with the mediocrity. This keeps the train going.

Name who you would have brought in and tell me just how the #$@& they could be successful under Jones.
He could have interviewed 50 and he will still be a cancer.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No I just see why not wasting time doing worthless interviews when they already have the guy they want. There are big companies that have a SINGLE person they want for a senior position and go get that person and don't waste time interviewing people they already know they don't want. You must be upset because the person you either like or was sure the Cowboys were going to hire wasn't even asked to the dance.

Not whatsoever. But I know more bad business practices when I see them. And unlike you, I don't allow fandom to overrun my brain and common sense.