Would you interview just two people for your job?

CWR

Reaction score
We could make the thread even more dramatic.

Lewis wasn't in contention imo. They were merely satisfying the Rooney rule.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thats for a whole notha thread lol. Plenty of room to criticize the FO, but I wont do it this time. McCarthy's resume puts him in a category of sensible targets imo. They got their guy, I just hope they are right this time.

I hope so too, I just know that interviewing two people isn't enough to make the most informed opinion.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I thought about including this in one of the multiple threads on the new hire, but feel it would just get lost and ignored. But I'd like to present this question, if you were hiring for a job, any job, much less the head coach of the Dallas Cowboys. Would you interview just two people and then call it a day?
Took you awhile but you just couldn’t help yourself. No surprise you are poopooing on the hire. The answer is yes if the 2nd guy was the guy.

conner01

Reaction score
If only two were qualified. Jerry wanted a seasoned coach who led great teams. Not a lot of options out there
I think many missed that a few weeks back when jerry made it fairly clear he wanted an experienced nfl coach

SkOrPn

Reaction score
Id hire Bill Belichick with a 3 minute interview and a promise to sign
I'd hire Bill Belichick the second after he asked for the job. Who stinking needs 3 minutes to hire him? Common man, lol

Q: Bill Belichick> Jerry, I want to be your HC (insert my answer here) and take your team to the Super Bowl.
A: Me playing as Jerry> Hired before you finished your sentence.

I don't care what Belichick asked for, he can have it, even if it makes him the highest paid Coach in NFL history. If the Fans are smart they would be happy to be paying for Belichick.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Took you awhile but you just couldn’t help yourself. No surprise you are poopooing on the hire. The answer is yes if the 2nd guy was the guy.

Speaking of mindless rubber stamping...

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is not like the rest of the world where they interview a lot of applicants to get to the candidates because they don't know much about any of them going in.

If you decided the type of HC you needed, that narrows the list to candidates immediately and these are the only two they brought in, probably not the only ones they considered. They knew a lot about these two men going in and I believe they knew the most necessary positive they needed, credibility.

This is not team building or rebuilding, it is getting an underachieving and underperforming group of individuals to come together as a team in the quickest possible time. The new HC had to have some cred coming in, not have to earn it.

I think Booger looked at this just like the Parcells situation, only this was not to get a new stadium, this was to take a team most felt had the talent to compete for the championship but had failed to gel as a team. I think Booger thinks this is the guy to bring a talented group of individuals together as a team. And the #1 requirement for the next HC of the Cowboys was confidence from the owner.

The real key to this is what had Booger learned about dealing with HC's? Will he allow this HC to instill his culture and accountability standards. I really think Big Mike has a better chance of that than any candidate we've discussed.

CWR

Reaction score
I hope so too, I just know that interviewing two people isn't enough to make the most informed opinion.

Tbh, I was excited at the thought of Urban or another College coach. I was also big on Roman. Ive warmed up on McCarthy though. I just hope he teaches us how to get away with holding like GB.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oh gotcha. Glad they didn’t hire him but I thought it was for a head coaching spot.! Yuck.

We can definitely agree on that! So do not want!
:thumbdown:

Compared to someone like him, I'm all aboard the McCarthy train.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tbh, I was excited at the thought of Urban or another College coach. I was also big on Roman. Ive warmed up on McCarthy though. I just hope he teaches us how to get away with holding like GB.

I honestly think that conversation with Stephen scared Meyer away.

uvaballa

Reaction score
If only two were qualified. Jerry wanted a seasoned coach who led great teams. Not a lot of options out there
Yup apparently he didn’t want to take a chance or wait on a college coach coming up to speed.

MM is basically a Payton and Reid type coach. Should be competitive most years and win playoff games. Things should get easier for all coaches if the Pats have to rebuild soon.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
So Giants were basically bluffing? They're probably going to get Rhule, Meyer, or someone we should've been looking for.

And then they would be on another 3-5 year losing streak because college coaches as 1st time NFL head coaches have a dismal terrible record with that first team. You should be happy that Jones decided not to waste the window the Cowboys have with this team by going college coach.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
We can definitely agree on that! So do not want!
:thumbdown:

Compared to someone like him, I'm all aboard the McCarthy train.
Maybe that was the plan. To interview crap and make Mcarthy look 10xs better. Wish they had a better pool of coaches they were looking at.

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
And then they would be on another 3-5 year losing streak because college coaches as 1st time NFL head coaches have a dismal terrible record with that first team. You should be happy that Jones decided not to waste the window the Cowboys have with this team by going college coach.

What about Roman, Bieniemy, or Harbaugh? We should've at least interviewed a few others. Instead, we took the bait. Is it good enough? Maybe. But there's always something better out there and we got scared because NYG was looking for him.

SackMaster

Reaction score
But its most certainly about a thorough hiring process. Two people is the opposite of that.
It has absolutely nothing to do with thorough and everything about "not loving" the hire Jerry made.

Again, most companies only interview many people due to the fact that most people lie on their resumes and/or are incapable of proving their competence in the skills needed for a job.

If resumes and skills actually matched what the person is capable of, then there would be very little need to interview a bunch of people to find the right person.

Let's be real for a minute. Had Jerry only interviewed Meyer and Lewis and hired Meyer (or whoever was your top guy), would you complain about not being thorough enough in the hiring process?