Would you keep it as it is or blow it up?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The notion that to build something you have to tear it to the ground and start over is both a fallacy and illogical. With the draft, free agency, trades and player development, teams can change from year to year. Look at the change in the Lions & Texans from 2022 to 2023.

That's not to say some tough decisions aren't part of the process, or that a notable player or two might not have to be sacrificed in the process, but why wouldn't you want to keep as solid a foundation as possible when you have players to do that with? Starting over just makes building a longer, harder process.

The reality is, the Cowboys are mostly built. It's not a team that has been fighting to stay out of last place. It has been12-5 the last 3 straight seasons, so the foundation is there. The key is getting over the hump from playoff team to serious contender in the playoffs. Obviously, doing that hasn't been easy, but it would be much harder doing it without strong, proven players to count on.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Colts traded a 2021 third round pick and a 2022 conditional first round pick for Wentz who had been terrible in Philly at the end and got benched. So it's not exactly a stretch that some team desperate for a vet QB might throw a first round pick at Dallas. Prescott has his flaws but he's a much better QB than Wentz was at the time Wentz got moved to Indy.
Oh, come on now. There's one tiny little fact you are leaving out LO. L.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You actually believe it’s going to be easy to find as good as QB as Dak? With your plan we’ll end up like Washington.
How do you know that? What has Dak accomplished in 8 years? What scares you so much from moving on from him? Every season ends the same. Only it's much worse now because Dak wants paid. With your plan we are going no where. Exactly where we have been for 8 years.

When I look at the playoffs the last couple of years and see all the starting QB's younger than Dak I get sick. Those teams are trying to win. They are making moves. Some QB's are on their 2nd teams and making the playoffs. Meanwhile we just sit still and watch the world go by. DUMB.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
if this talent is so great how come we keep getting bounced out of the playoffs early? and now this so called talent is going to want to be paid top tier money, are you willing to invest in that too? furthermore you don't have to trade all of them players, honestly i would be hesistant on trading Lamb, the rest can go as far as I'm concerned.
It’s not the talent, it’s the lack of mental toughness and coaching that always rears its ugly head in the playoffs. Every year the Cowboys are rated as one of the most talented teams in the NFL. The 2007 team had 13 pro bowlers and got bounced in the first round. You’re just one of those fans that are so frustrated with the organization that you want to get rid of all the players and start over. Lol You don’t even know where you’re going to be picking in the first round with the picks you get. You could be picking in the 20s which reduces your chances of ending up with a great player. Those great players you’re trading away will end up making those teams better, which will hurt our draft section. This is not the brightest fan base.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
Have fun going through veteran castoffs and wasting premium draft picks every few years taking your chances. :thumbup:
No veteran castoffs. Premium draft picks certainly. I fully acknowledge there could be busts along the way.
It's easy to take this leap knowing Dak is not the answer. He will never win a championship.

ICP

Reaction score
With the same front office in place you might as well try to build on what you have

shabazz

Reaction score
I'd wrap this team in a brown paper bag, put it on the Jones porch, light it on fire, and ring the door so Jerry can get crap on his foot stamping it out

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
First thing is we need to stop thinking we can shop at K-Mart and come up with a championship team.

But to me, the future of the Cowboys rides with Dak's contract demands. If he is willing to take a contract that gives the team flexibility in the future and rewards him based on the performance of the team, I would give this current group another couple of years to see if they can climb over the next hurdle. But if Dak insists on being the top paid QB, with lots of guaranteed money, I think I have to make the decision now that the future will be a different group of players. I would hamstring my team with CAP problems if my QB is Patrick Mahomes, but Dak needs a team behind him and I cannot build that right if Dak is getting paid $60 million annually, or what will be $90 million a couple of years down the road.

The caveat is, Jerry's unwillingness to get top tier talent in free agency to plug major holes in the roster. If Jerry isn;t going to sign good players at certain positions of need, then it doesn't matter what happens with Dak. The Cowboys will always be that team that is two players away from getting over the hump.
This notion of Dak signing a contract that gives the team flexibility makes no sense. If the Cowboys want a better quarterback than Dak Prescott he will cost more than Dak. Other teams operate with QBs being paid over $50 million per season. The Cowboys can, too. There are quarterbacks in the NFL being paid more than Dak, but not performing as well. What’s he supposed to do? Do you want him to shrug and tell Jerry Jones that is fine with him? Dak’s first responsibility is to himself and his family. After that it’s to his fellow NFL players. Accommodating a billionaire owner and the fans that buy the countless Cowboys’ logo paraphernalia is not Dak’s concern, nor should it be. Half of Cowboys fans are already wanting to cheer for a different Cowboys quarterback, the other half will be on to some other QB like in 60 or 72 months when Dak’s playing career is over. He should sign for as much as he can get and then try his damndest to be worth what he’s being paid. Any fan that doesn’t like it should stop buying Cowboys key chains and coffee mugs.

75boyz

Reaction score
Any season with Dak under center is a wasted season. I don't know if the next QB will be as good, but I know Dak will never win a championship. If winning the Super-Bowl is the goal, Dallas must find a way to get an elite QB. There may be busts along that path, but it's the only path to a championship.
THIS.

AND a HC.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
No veteran castoffs. Premium draft picks certainly. I fully acknowledge there could be busts along the way.
It's easy to take this leap knowing Dak is not the answer. He will never win a championship.
If there’s busts along the way you’re setting your franchise back. This is why teams like Washington continue to lose every year because they keep making the same mistake. You’ll be passing up great players at other positions because you need a QB. It’s easy to take a leap when you’re missing the playoffs every year with your QB. It’s easy to take the leap when you’re going 5-12 every year. It’s incredibly stupid to take the leap when you’ve gone 12-5 the past 3 years with 2 division titles and your QB just came in second for league MVP. The fans that keep putting the Cowboys failures in the playoffs entirely on Dak are lost. The biggest problem in the playoffs has been our defense and anyone that would try and dispute that has absolutely no clue what they’re watching. I get it that some of you hate Dak but to put the teams failures in the playoffs entirely on him is not only wrong but ridiculous.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I would have blown it up.

But with McCarthy back, it seems clear they are gonna run it back. Dak is going nowhere.
Blowing it up with the current regime running the rebuild doesn’t inspire much confidence.

Somehow this has to get much worse, and somehow fans demand real change, with Jerry going the Parcells route. Someone else to lead the rebuild.

I can’t even see the path to that day anytime soon though, and this is probably going to get ugly.

Anyone actually feel as if they are on a path that culminates in a championship next season?

The reality is they have no idea how to properly roster build and think the complete opposite is the case. They love themselves and their strategy.

Creeper

Reaction score
This notion of Dak signing a contract that gives the team flexibility makes no sense. If the Cowboys want a better quarterback than Dak Prescott he will cost more than Dak. Other teams operate with QBs being paid over $50 million per season. The Cowboys can, too. There are quarterbacks in the NFL being paid more than Dak, but not performing as well. What’s he supposed to do? Do you want him to shrug and tell Jerry Jones that is fine with him? Dak’s first responsibility is to himself and his family. After that it’s to his fellow NFL players. Accommodating a billionaire owner and the fans that buy the countless Cowboys’ logo paraphernalia is not Dak’s concern, nor should it be. Half of Cowboys fans are already wanting to cheer for a different Cowboys quarterback, the other half will be on to some other QB like in 60 or 72 months when Dak’s playing career is over. He should sign for as much as he can get and then try his damndest to be worth what he’s being paid. Any fan that doesn’t like it should stop buying Cowboys key chains and coffee mugs.
Dak will make more money in the same 10 years of Patrick Mahomes' contract than Patrick Mahomes will earn from KC. Mahomes signed a 10 year contract worth $450 million or $45 million per year. Dak's new contract will blow that away on an annual basis. Dak got $40 million from Jerry for 4 years and will be extended for probably close to $60 million for the next 4 or 5 years. If Dak signs a 5 year Deal for $280 million he will average almost $50 million over 9 years.

I realize a top QB costs money, but the Chiefs will be paying Patrick Mahomes on the $45 million per year deal for another 8 years while Dak will be bleeding the Cowboys dry.

Look, I am in favor or extending Dak and trying to make this team work with the core of what they have. But if they have to pay him $60 million and pay CeeDee and Micah, they will be hard-pressed to fill all the holes they have in the roster. They would need an incredibly lucky draft and even that might not get them to a NFCC game.

rags747

Reaction score
Start Lance, roll the dice baby. We would be at least as good but nobody knows.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
My question is....Would you keep it as it is... patch it up and run it back? or would you rather blow it up and try to rebuild it back?

Scenario 1 - extend Dak and some other players, then try to sign some FA's, and of course the draft, and run it back, hoping for a better outcome?

Scenario 2 - trade off all your valuable pieces such as Dak, Micah, Diggs, Martin, and Lamb, I can easily see a 1st rounder for each of them except for Martin, that could be potentially 4-1st rounders and more, plus our own 1st rounder which translates to 5-1st rounders with the possibilty of trading down and acquiring more picks...can you imagine the haul of players we could potentially get?

I know the first thing someone will say is Dak has a no trade clause, but I'm pretty sure if you told him, we are blowing it up and the players above are going as well, I think he would waive the trade clause.

I doubt Jerry given his age would go for such a plan, but if we hit on some players in the draft with that haul, it might not take as long as you think, Jimmy did it in 3 years just trading Hershel.

Blast away
I don't think the pattern of Super Bowl winners shows that blowing it up is the way to success. What they have shown is you get your main pieces through the draft and you supplement that by acquiring other pieces through trades and free agency. We don't need to blow things up, we need to go hard after supplementing what we've got.

Mannix

Reaction score
How do you know that? What has Dak accomplished in 8 years? What scares you so much from moving on from him? Every season ends the same. Only it's much worse now because Dak wants paid. With your plan we are going no where. Exactly where we have been for 8 years.

When I look at the playoffs the last couple of years and see all the starting QB's younger than Dak I get sick. Those teams are trying to win. They are making moves. Some QB's are on their 2nd teams and making the playoffs. Meanwhile we just sit still and watch the world go by. DUMB.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Post of the day

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

If you look around the league you’ll see it’s not easy finding a solid, consistent QB. Teams like Washington keep missing on them. Cleveland has been missing on them for 2+ decades and may have missed on another one with Watson. We’ve won four division titles with Dak and a couple of playoff games. Our playoff failures haven’t been entirely on him and if they were, I would be ready to move on from him. What scares a lot of fans from moving on from Dak, including the Joneses is ending up with a lesser QB for a number of years and missing the playoffs because of it. I keep explaining that, but you don’t seem to get it. :rolleyes: You’re one of those who seems to think you just draft another QB and your problems are solved. Get real! No one makes a move at QB when they’re going 12-5 every year and making the playoffs. The Rams made a move a few years ago because they got a better QB. Who can we get that’s better than Dak?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Some QB's are on their 2nd teams and making the playoffs. Meanwhile we just sit still and watch the world go by. DUMB.
Flacco and Mayfield made the playoffs this season and Mayfield is the only one who was the starter for the entire season. The Browns went one and done with Flacco. Mayfield won a playoff game, then choked the following week with the game on the line. I’m sure you would rather have either one of those QBs over Dak. :rolleyes:

75boyz

Reaction score

Outstanding post.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
My question is....Would you keep it as it is... patch it up and run it back? or would you rather blow it up and try to rebuild it back?

Scenario 1 - extend Dak and some other players, then try to sign some FA's, and of course the draft, and run it back, hoping for a better outcome?

Scenario 2 - trade off all your valuable pieces such as Dak, Micah, Diggs, Martin, and Lamb, I can easily see a 1st rounder for each of them except for Martin, that could be potentially 4-1st rounders and more, plus our own 1st rounder which translates to 5-1st rounders with the possibilty of trading down and acquiring more picks...can you imagine the haul of players we could potentially get?

I know the first thing someone will say is Dak has a no trade clause, but I'm pretty sure if you told him, we are blowing it up and the players above are going as well, I think he would waive the trade clause.

I doubt Jerry given his age would go for such a plan, but if we hit on some players in the draft with that haul, it might not take as long as you think, Jimmy did it in 3 years just trading Hershel.

Blast away
I have not read through this thread, just saw this post. In my simple mind, there is only one solution, get out of Dak's current contract as fast as you can.

Or, if he is not willing to do that lets just hope if he really wants to win a SB for the Cowboys? He will do what is not only the best for him, but the best for the team. After that then you can start all over with the salary cap so one player does not muck it up.

However...although he is a top QB in the league, but now days, it's a young man's game. Who knows what the kid from SF can do? Most posters think just because he has not had a chance playing for the Cowboy, means he a bust. I guess them posters can see the future after just a few games, not knowing how he's practicing with the team. Let him play this coming season, draft a QB to sit and learn.

As far as Micah goes? With his "different generation" attitude, trade him, get him outta here with that kind of attitude. Trade him to the eagles or some other team for some good draft picks.

Yeah, I get it...but we will suck for two or three years if we did all that. So what? It's been that way with the team we like for eight years, coming up on nine. Not a hate post, but sometimes, you just have to know when your time is up.