Would you make K. Richard HC if that's the only way to keep him?

Buzzbait

Reaction score
I think he will be fielding a few DC offers at this point. If our defense keeps this up and and say we're heading into January @ 11-5, I imagine a HC job or two comes his way.
Would Jerry move on from Garrett after a 11-5 season to keep K. Richard?

Absolutely! The worst thing Jerry could do would be to let Richard get away. I'd drop Garrett like a hot potato and Richard would be HC.
But somehow I don't see Jerry doing that. He's too cozy with Garrett.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Sounds like a pure JJ deal, let the great coach go and keep the old garbage.

Swanny

Reaction score
That's great but I'm not willing to sacrifice my desire for an offensive mind at the helm in order to keep Richard. I hope we keep him though.
The way the NFL is set up I would like to agree with an offensive coach. But then I remember that Bill Bellicheck is the greatest and he is a defensive mind.

waving monkey

Reaction score
I think he will be fielding a few DC offers at this point. If our defense keeps this up and and say we're heading into January @ 11-5, I imagine a HC job or two comes his way.

He'll certainly get DC offers and Marinelli will step out of that way.
I can see HC also. If it happens so be it.

cern

Reaction score
This fan fantasy is refuted by the people who actually play for him, for the record.

It is fun to pretend it’s true, though. I get it.
There is no denying the team plays hard for garrett, but this in no way negates the argument he is just an average coach. His time management has been lacking on occasion. He was very responsible for losses to Texans and skins first game. He is not innovative. He is not a good x's and o's coach. Things have to go very right for the team to win. Other than jags game, every win has been a squeaker. We need someone innovative running the offense. Whether that be a new oc, or new head coach.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
I’m 50/50 on this. Prefer him at DC for a while...

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

is Garrett getting fired? if yes, then Richards may apply, but I doubt he would get the head coaching job. the Jones' would probably want an offensive minded coach for Dak.

agk136

Reaction score
I'd make hin def coordinator and assistant coach with a pay salary of a HC becuase JJ isn't going to get rid of carrot head. If for some odd reason he does fire JG then yeas I would offer the HC to him.

TheRomoSexual

Reaction score
That is my fear as well....

but uncle Jerry, to his credit, is a loyal man. He giveth and taketh.

Could see him offering Richard a fortune (DC type salary) to stay as DB coach.

I have to say I really don’t understand this mentality. If we finish 11-5, that’ll be two 10+ win seasons and two conference titles in three years. So you’re hoping another coach may do better?

TwentyOne

Reaction score

No. Being a HC demands other skills. He seems to be great at scheming and in comunicating with players. Keep him there. DC max.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
Assuming Marinelli retires, or decides to step down to coach the DL, I'd offer Richard a DC/AHC role and pay him mightily.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would agree with you if the players all say how hard nose of a coach Garrett is. But they seem to like him. Which seems to mean that he's easy to get along with.

Don't recall any of the players going to basketball games with Jimmy or Landry? Yet they were good coaches.

They do frequently say he’s a very different guy in the meeting rooms than he is at the podium. Yet it’s the podium, where he’s explicitly grey-rocking everyone that they always judge him by.

Going to basketball games with some players hasn’t got anything to do with anything, by the way.

Ddisco22

Reaction score

I don't know, good question. I'm sure we keep him in some capacity, maybe DC but I don't see Jerry getting rid of JG unless the offensive playcalling blows up in these last four games.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I think that Richard gets way too much love.

I like him, but really all he did was move Byron to corner. It's the same defense they've run the last 3 years otherwise, and they haven't acquired any new players in the mold that he likes. It's kind of like when Switzer won the SB, but everyone knew that it was Jimmy's team.

Zordon

Reaction score
@Cowboy Brian Jerry called Kris a great compliment to Marinelli. He then waxed poetically about Marinelli. I don't think Richard is getting the keys to the franchise anytime soon.

Zordon

Reaction score
The way the NFL is set up I would like to agree with an offensive coach. But then I remember that Bill Bellicheck is the greatest and he is a defensive mind.
He also has the GOAT quarterback. I look forward to seeing Beli without Brady.

phildadon86

Reaction score
I don't know, good question. I'm sure we keep him in some capacity, maybe DC but I don't see Jerry getting rid of JG unless the offensive playcalling blows up in these last four games.
I see him being the next DC/ Asst Head Coach.