Would you make K. Richard HC if that's the only way to keep him?

cern

Reaction score
I suspect the same thing. I think Marinelli told Dallas he was about ready to hang up his clipboard and that they needed to find his replacement. So, they snagged Richard. I suspect he'll have a couple nice years here as DC and potentially be our next HC (depending on if Garrett can get Dak and our offense rolling over the same time span).
We had already offered the dc job to eberflus to stay. But he chose to go to the Colts. So the fo is already prepared for life without rod.

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
Just make Garrett the Assistant Johnny Walker Blue pourer.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I think he will be fielding a few DC offers at this point. If our defense keeps this up and and say we're heading into January @ 11-5, I imagine a HC job or two comes his way.

Would Jerry move on from Garrett after a 11-5 season to keep K. Richard?

I would. I doubt Jerry would.

With the defense playing so well, even Linehan might get a pass this offseason.

Bohuntr97

Reaction score
Blank might give him a big offer and a promotion. Just to mess with Jerry.

Bohuntr97

Reaction score
You think Quinn is out in ATL?

Probably not, but they are not looking good. Mara is not afraid to make changes and spend money. Maybe not HC offer but a DC offer with a lot of pay or an assistant HC title.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
I think he will be fielding a few DC offers at this point. If our defense keeps this up and and say we're heading into January @ 11-5, I imagine a HC job or two comes his way.

YES of course!

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Man I’m glad some of y’all don’t run the team. Fans love the “passionate” guy. That stuff gets real old real quick.

What gets old faster is a head coach who stands on the sidelines as a professional cheerleader. Garrett doesn't do much for this team. He makes good speeches. But that gets old quick too.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What gets old faster is a head coach who stands on the sidelines as a professional cheerleader. Garrett doesn't do much for this team. He makes good speeches. But that gets old quick too.

This fan fantasy is refuted by the people who actually play for him, for the record.

It is fun to pretend it’s true, though. I get it.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
This fan fantasy is refuted by the people who actually play for him, for the record.

It is fun to pretend it’s true, though. I get it.

They play for him because he is friendly and easy to get along with. Of course, he is likable by the players.

But that doesn't make him a good coach.

Swanny

Reaction score

Yes

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They play for him because he is friendly and easy to get along with. Of course, he is likable by the players.

But that doesn't make him a good coach.

Strangely, though, the players themselves don’t agree with your claim here. But maybe they’re just trying to stay on his friendly, easy going side.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Strangely, though, the players themselves don’t agree with your claim here. But maybe they’re just trying to stay on his friendly, easy going side.

I would agree with you if the players all say how hard nose of a coach Garrett is. But they seem to like him. Which seems to mean that he's easy to get along with.

Don't recall any of the players going to basketball games with Jimmy or Landry? Yet they were good coaches.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Enjoy Richards while he's here.
The win over the Saints was 90% Kris and 10% the red headed step child's speech . Sadly the pickled brain trust wont accept that. He and McClay will both be gone in 2 years or less

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Nope. Cowboys need an imaginative offensive coach who can develop a QB. Would love Richard as DC, but not HC.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Enjoy Richards while he's here.
The win over the Saints was 90% Kris and 10% the red headed step child's speech . Sadly the pickled brain trust wont accept that. He and McClay will both be gone in 2 years or less
No credit for Marinelli?

DanA

Reaction score
I really think we'll see the following:
- Linehan fired
- Garrett given a two-year extension
- Marinelli announce 2019 as his last season
- Richard groomed as DC
- Richard take over HC in 2021

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
If I remember Jerry bragged about signing all the new assistant coaches to multi-year deals. I'm guessing this means they all likely signed the standard two-year deals for assistant coaches. If true, Richard is probably signed through 2019 season. The only way he leaves is HCing job. No way in hell Jerry will let him interview for anything less ( see Bill Callahan ).

As to OP question.......said this in another thread, IMO the Saints win could be the seed to a Garrett extension. I'm 100% confidence if we make the playoffs and win at least one postseason game, Jerry will quietly extend Jason a few more years during the offseason.
Couldn't he also leave for a DC job? I'm sure he's a hot commodity for either HC or DC.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score

First of all, the question presents a false premise. Making K. Richard the HC will never be the only way to retain his services. Jerry is free to pay that man whatever it takes to keep him and ignoring that fact is just ignoring reality.