Would you offer Will Hernandez a modest contract

Carson

Reaction score
The Giants would have to cut or release ? In the last year of contract and supposedly added muscle.
Did find the below line interesting I mean haw bad has the NFCE been.

(in the season finale, with the Giants (at 5-10) still alive to win the NFC East, Hernandez was a spectator, receiving the first time in his career he didn’t play, )
He’s a free agent.

He’s one of my top 3 I’m hoping we sign.

But he likely is paid much more than we are going to offer.

fivetwos

Reaction score
The Giants have had severe OL problems during his whole time there and he was a big part of it.

No one locally wants him back for any type of contract.

He is a worse fan punching bag than Connor Williams.

No one wants him here, you just want the player you THINK he is. He isnt.

Besides, we have enough backup types in the interior OL. We need a starter.

He ain't that. Not in this league if you expect to win.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Will Hernandez sucks. SO NO. Have you guys watched him get pancaked and run over his entire career? Easy pass.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Giants have had severe OL problems during his whole time there and he was a big part of it.

No one locally wants him back for any type of contract.

He is a worse fan punching bag than Connor Williams.

No one wants him here, you just want the player you THINK he is. He isnt.

Besides, we have enough backup types in the interior OL. We need a starter.

He ain't that. Not in this league if you expect to win.

Go look into how many offensive line coach the Giants have had. The problem starts there.

Rayman70

Reaction score
They say he has a mean streak.
I think he has a stupid streak.

I always hated when we played him. He was the idiot who would fly in and spear one of our defenders.

I hope I don't have to cheer for a guy like that.
and he stinks.. He simply isnt very good. We have guys in house better. Giants couldn't run behind him because he was getting pushed back.

Carson

Reaction score
I’m not sure that he would command big money. He has struggled the last year and a half. And I think familiarity with our linemen and location would help us out a lot in negotiations too.
I’m sure Stephen will offer him a one year, $2 million deal lol

fivetwos

Reaction score
Go look into how many offensive line coach the Giants have had. The problem starts there.
The problem was Gettleman.

All three of his high OL picks busted.

Again, we have backup types and need a starter. He isnt an upgrade from Williams. In fact they are very similar. IIRC he lost his job at one point also.

I haven't seen every Giants game the last four years, but I know what the fans say locally and on radio.

Seriously....he is no upgrade over Williams and I would think that would be the goal.

Neither is done in this league, but they are backups IMO on teams that expect to win.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The problem was Gettleman.

All three of his high OL picks busted.

While the organization switched from line coach to line coach to line coach. That puts any player at a disadvantage.

Again, we have backup types and need a starter. He isnt an upgrade from Williams. In fact they are very similar. IIRC he lost his job at one point also.

I haven't seen every Giants game the last four years, but I know what the fans say locally and on radio.

Do me a favor and look deeper into Hernandez. Specifically his first two years before Garrett and Co got there. You’ll find a much better player.

Seriously....he is no upgrade over Williams and I would think that would be the goal.

Neither is done in this league, but they are backups IMO on teams that expect to win.

I guess we disagree on that. Hernandez is the guard prototype and Williams never will be.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Is the goal to break penalty records next year?

fivetwos

Reaction score
While the organization switched from line coach to line coach to line coach. That puts any player at a disadvantage.

Do me a favor and look deeper into Hernandez. Specifically his first two years before Garrett and Co got there. You’ll find a much better player.

I guess we disagree on that. Hernandez is the guard prototype and Williams never will be.
I just know that I hear many, many people who watch them closely say that they want him way gone.

I can't blame that on OL coach turnover.

Maybe a better situation would bring out the better in him...he was a helluva player at UTEP and I wanted him in that draft...but is that what we want to sign up for and count on?

I want a clear upgrade, and draft position meets need and availability this year.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I just know that I hear many, many people who watch them closely say that they want him way gone.

I can't blame that on OL coach turnover.

So you place more value on fan opinion than repeated wholesale changes at line coach?

Maybe a better situation would bring out the better in him...he was a helluva player at UTEP and I wanted him in that draft...but is that what we want to sign up for and count on?

That’s the plan, and the definition of a reclamation project.

I want a clear upgrade, and draft position meets need and availability this year.

If it does? All the better. But I can think of other, more vital positions of need on this team than guard

fivetwos

Reaction score
So you place more value on fan opinion than repeated wholesale changes at line coach?

That’s the plan, and the definition of a reclamation project.

If it does? All the better. But I can think of other, more vital positions of need on this team than guard
What's your opinion of Connor Williams?

I'd say he shows flashes of being really good at times, then we see him getting beat and committing penalties.

Hernandez is probably exactly that with a Richie Ingconito attitude, but I don't blame the inconsistency on position coach turnover.

How many OL coaches has Tyron Smith had? Thrives in all systems and schemes and personalities.

Apples and oranges? Maybe, but you kinda are what you are after some time in the league.

Otoh, I DO think that the right OL coach and situation could bring out the best in Hernandez, but I don't think it's Philbin, and I dont think it's here.

No need to poke into FA for a lateral move.

Since the OL breaking down coincided with the season going into the toilet, I think a clear upgrade is in order, not hoping our lame duck OL coach who most want fired can fix Hernandez.

Guess we can't agree on everything lol.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What's your opinion of Connor Williams?

I'd say he shows flashes of being really good at times, then we see him getting beat and committing penalties.

Id say he’s good at what he’s good at. What I mean by that is he’s good on the move. But when asked to anchor against power in a phone booth he struggles. When asked to man block and root someone out of the hole, he struggles.

Williams is a round peg in a square hole. A tackle asked to be a guard. He isn’t.

Hernandez is probably exactly that with a Richie Ingconito attitude, but I don't blame the inconsistency on position coach turnover.

How can you not?

How many OL coaches has Tyron Smith had? Thrives in all systems and schemes and personalities.

Not five guys in four years. Not ever.

Apples and oranges? Maybe, but you kinda are what you are after some time in the league.

So Hernandez is very good for two years and very bad fur two years. Follow the trends and ask ‘why’.

Otoh, I DO think that the right OL coach and situation could bring out the best in Hernandez, but I don't think it's Philbin, and I dont think it's here.

That’s a different issue then. One that a high cost rookie would deal with as well, right?

No need to poke into FA for a lateral move.

Since the OL breaking down coincided with the season going into the toilet, I think a clear upgrade is in order, not hoping our lame duck OL coach who most want fired can fix Hernandez.

Guess we can't agree on everything lol.

It would get a bit boring if we did. I’m just glad and appreciative that we can do so respectfully.

:thumbup: