Would you offer Will Hernandez a modest contract

fivetwos

Reaction score
Id say he’s good at what he’s good at. What I mean by that is he’s good on the move. But when asked to anchor against power in a phone booth he struggles. When asked to man block and root someone out of the hole, he struggles.

Williams is a round peg in a square hole. A tackle asked to be a guard. He isn’t.

How can you not?

Not five guys in four years. Not ever.

So Hernandez is very good for two years and very bad fur two years. Follow the trends and ask ‘why’.

That’s a different issue then. One that a high cost rookie would deal with as well, right?

It would get a bit boring if we did. I’m just glad and appreciative that we can do so respectfully.

:thumbup:
You mess me all up when you split the quotes lol.

As far as the OL coach turnover.....you may be right, but I don't want to count on that.

Let's for now say that is indeed his first and foremost problem. Is Philbin the guy to fix that? Because odds are he isnt here after 2022 either.

So then Hernandez is back on the new OL coach every year thing here most likely anyway. So if that's his main problem, the Dallas situation isn't where he ought to be.

As much as I hate to keep spending high picks on OL when other teams get away with not, I think we need a clear upgrade at LG and/or center......and while a rookie is tough to count on as well, it's our only real option to improve given the cap situation.

It's tough to overlook what happened to the team overall once LG and C became such a glaring weakness.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You mess me all up when you split the quotes lol.

Sorry but I like to address specific points individually as I think things get confused when lumped all together.

As far as the OL coach turnover.....you may be right, but I don't want to count on that.

I think it’s a significant factor that has to be considered.

Let's for now say that is indeed his first and foremost problem. Is Philbin the guy to fix that? Because odds are he isnt here after 2022 either.

Possibly. Philbin has a good track record overall, and he seemed to do well with guys not named Williams and Biadasz. Even young guys like Steele, Farniok, and at right guard McGovern played well.

So then Hernandez is back on the new OL coach every year thing here most likely anyway. So if that's his main problem, the Dallas situation isn't where he ought to be.

As much as I hate to keep spending high picks on OL when other teams get away with not, I think we need a clear upgrade at LG and/or center......and while a rookie is tough to count on as well, it's our only real option to improve given the cap situation.

Just know that Philbin will be that rookie’s coach as well. And he will have to deal with that potential turnover too.

It's tough to overlook what happened to the team overall once LG and C became such a glaring weakness.

No argument there.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I may be mistaken, but I can't recall a good block by Will H. I only remember him getting penalties and getting manhandled routinely. I'm struggling to find any footage of him that is good.

DonaldM

Reaction score
Police moving in a conver. There goes Flute. No more dropkicks.

Sandyf

Reaction score
More interested in what McClay thinks. The facts are Hernandez was far better as a LG than a RG. Might remember that Zack Martin did not want to play LG because he was for more comfortable and better as a RG. It matters!

If McClay thinks he is worth the signing and it solves the LG problem then please sign him.

fivetwos

Reaction score
More interested in what McClay thinks. The facts are Hernandez was far better as a LG than a RG. Might remember that Zack Martin did not want to play LG because he was for more comfortable and better as a RG. It matters!

If McClay thinks he is worth the signing and it solves the LG problem then please sign him.
I think there's something to that.

McGovern looked solid at RG in 2020 when Martin was out.

I also thought he looked confused, clumsy and lost at LG in 2021.

Did he regress or is he simply a better RG?

Personally I think it's very underrated as far as being more comfortable on one side vs the other, and how it plays into your dominant hand.

I remember a quote from one player some time ago talking about playing LT vs RT. The general idea was its like doing everything with your opposite hand.

Not like that for everyone though....but I can fully see how maybe the transition isn't so easy for all.

Hint to the Dallas FO......Collins says he is more natural on the left side. Maybe listen to him and solve your LG problem there.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I know he was high on our list coming out. In fact, if I remember correctly he spent time training with our OL before getting drafted. 2021 was not his best year, but part was moving from LG to RG. Spent his entire career at LG then had CV19 never got his job back ( see article below ). Noticed his PFF stats (below) 2018, 2019 and 2020 all at LG. Probably wouldn't take more than $3-4M to sign him.

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/will-hernandez/46180?season=2021

https://nypost.com/2021/07/28/will-hernandez-has-new-challenge-in-giants-contract-year/

Just answer this question? Giants have a terrible OL, if they don't want him, why would the Cowboys?

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I wouldn’t say it’s a step back.

He was moved to RG and struggled. He played better at LG.

It also gives you flexibility come draft night. I don’t want to reach for a guard if Green and Johnson get drafted

100%.......especially if we can sign him less than $6M

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Just answer this question? Giants have a terrible OL, if they don't want him, why would the Cowboys?

Not sure but I'm reluctant to use the Giants OLine standards to evaluate how good he CAN BE. The first three 3 years of his resume are pretty solid.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Not sure but I'm reluctant to use the Giants OLine standards to evaluate how good he CAN BE. The first three 3 years of his resume are pretty solid.
Many Giant fans will tell you he was a major bust for the team. For what I seen with my own eyes, better pass protector then a run blocker. Really think McGovern is as good if not better.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

In my opinion, he would be a reclamation project. Based on the guy he was at UTEP coming out if the draft, and the one that played quite well in 2018-19.

The Giants screwed him up along with the rest of their offensive linemen. Look deeper into how many line coaches they’ve gone through since Hernandez was drafted. Then ask yourself if that turnover is conducive for success?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Many Giant fans will tell you he was a major bust for the team. For what I seen with my own eyes, better pass protector then a run blocker. Really think McGovern is as good if not better.

Only if McGovern is playing right guard. He’s not the same player on the left.