Would you trade Gallup?

fivetwos

Reaction score
We could also just see how it plays out the next two seasons and go from there.

Every player is always one play away from it being their last.

Impossible to predict any of it, but as far as the OP, no, it may be bad business to turn down a 1st for him, but no one will offer that, and let's see what this offense looks like before we go trading anyone.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But that could be the point - that in a couple of years it may be too expensive to keep all the receivers. If the team can't afford them all they would have to move somebody.

That's why, as much as I like Gallup (and I do really like Gallup) I think the OP's question, while not one that should be considered today, might have a real place a year from now. Depending on how things go over the next year, and depending on how confident the Cowboys are that they can sign Gallup to an extension they can live with, the OP's question may seem a lot more legitimate next year.

Well said. It's like chess match.....you have to think quick and react to every move and ahead of moves. You even have to sacrifice pieces to win. It's what some chess players can't do or can;t see.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's sick. Your a moderator and make a joke about people being in quarantine during a pandemic.

Real sick. You're disgusting.
I've spent most of my time during the quarantine on my back patio, working some, playing some, drinking coffee in the morning and smoking an occasional cigar and drinking an occasional beer in the evening.

You can make fun of that all you want.:)

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
No. Gallup is going to be our new number one receiver soon and will get paid like it in a couple years.

Remember, Amari Cooper's five year, $100 million deal is really a two year, $40 million deal with three team options added on.
I like Gallup a lot, but I think it's more likely Lamb becomes the #1 WR.

Dreski

Reaction score
I wouldn’t trade him, I think his best football is still ahead of him. It was exciting to see him improve this year and I can’t wait to see what he does next year

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
For a 2021 2nd rounder?

I could see a team like GB or SF wanting to trade for him.

Or do you want to keep the depth since he is under contract for this season and next?
I may not agree with your idea, but I will defend your right to...
Ha ha ha ha ha!!!

Nah, this just dumb.
Sorry, not sorry.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Defending the Dallas 11 personnel with Cooper, Lamb and Gallup is a lot different than defending it with Cooper, Lamb and just some guy.

Having 3 very legit WR’s is going to create enormous headaches for defensive coordinators. Out of the gate this season, defenses will have to determine if they want their 3rd/4th corner on Gallup or Lamb. Either way it is likely going to create huge problems for them because Gallup (who probably is the least talented of the three) is still a really good receiver and can absolutely light up a 3rd cornerback.

However, if the defensive coordinator decides to cover Gallup with their CB2 and let their CB3 handle the rookie... that is going to be a recipe for disaster because Lamb is going to catch a lot of balls if he isn’t handled by a very competent DB. A lot. And once Lamb is into the secondary with the ball in his hands, all bets are off because that dude is going to eat you alive with RAC.

And all of that is with the understanding that Cooper is going to be getting his catches. Decide to single cover him and move a DB over Lamb or Gallup and Amari will probably go off, unless your CB1 is a true stud.

Coordinators will probably try putting putting their CB1 on Cooper, their CB2 on Lamb and maybe their CB3 and CB4 (or safety) on Gallup to try to limit the damage those 3 guys can do. At least that’s what I’d probably start out trying to do.

The problem with that is... well... Ezekiel Elliott.

Zeke and his line usually play well against small defenses like the ones that will be necessary to mitigate the damage that Cooper/Gallup/Lamb can do. Love Elliott or hate him... one thing we can all agree on is that he is a load to bring down and if he starts breaking into the secondary and bludgeoning the DB’s that are having to deal with that loaded WR corps., it is indeed going to be a long day for that defense.

If they don’t go small... the Dallas receivers are going to have a day.

It will be simply a huge, huge problem for coordinators to figure out.

By taking Gallup away and putting in someone like Wilson, you make things easier for the DC by a good bit. There are CB2 and some CB3 that can cover Wilson and remove him as a weapon. Heck there might be some LB’s that could take him out. Then, they could concentrate on Lamb/Cooper and try to limit them. That would likely be doable with 1 less DB than if Gallup was in there.

It might not seem that different but it is almost like giving the defense another guy to play with against the run. The problems would be far greater with a dangerous WR in there like Gallup instead of some WR that doesn’t really scare defenses.

That’s a simplified example, but you get the idea. Having a good WR in as your third option changes the way defenses will attack your offense.

Gallup is very good, he’s cheap, he’s a good locker room guy, and he has a chance to become a very, very good player. Not to mention that not having Gallup would much more pigeon hole the Cowboys into having to keep Cooper beyond 2022. It would be lunacy to get rid of that before the 2020 season when you’d simply get a 2nd round pick in 2021. There’s really no good reason for it... and plenty of reasons not to do it.

just my $0.02

Mr_437

Reaction score
Hell naw...Gallup either walks out the door or re-signs in 2 years.

3rdEyewarrior

Reaction score
For a 2021 2nd rounder?

Or do you want to keep the depth since he is under contract for this season and next?
In a heart beat. I like him as a player. He’s better than Alvin Harper. He’s our best no. 2 recover since terry glenn, but he’s a 1000 yard receiver on a rookie deal. He’s also our 3 rd best receiver. He should get us at least a second. Maybe we can trade him for a pass rusher.

3rdEyewarrior

Reaction score
So dumb.

He is cheap for two years, which coincides with outs in Cooper's deal. If Gallup becomes a #1 you pay him and send Cooper packing.

If Cooper is lighting it up at that point and you can't afford to keep Gallup you let him go and it's going to bring a 3rd or 4th rounder at minimum if he's that good as a comp pick.
That’s dumb. Coopers still the best receiver in the team. He hasn’t even peaked yet. He played hurt last year. He had 800 yards in 8 games until he got hurt even more. He’s the fDtest of the three receivers and the best route runner. Plus, he’s bigger than both.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For a 2021 2nd rounder?

No. The entire point of drafting Lamb was to add talent to a position that had no legit slot WR and no other legit options to play outside WR other than the starters Gallup & Cooper.

The Cowboys had multiple offers to trade down. If they thought they only needed 2 legit WRs, then they likely would have taken one of the trade down offers.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
No. There are always injuries. Plus, a trio of Cooper, Gallup, and Lamb is far more potent than Cooper, Lamb, and whoever would win out #3 in that scenario...

Now, if someone care along and offered us something ridiculous, sure, I’d entertain it and possibly even make a deal. But I wouldn’t be actively seeking out trades.