Would you trade Romo for the #1 pick?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
cowboysooner;4943251 said:
From the Chiefs point of view, they desperately need a quarterback.

True, but it's not wise making a desperation move to get a QB who hasn't won more than 8 games in Dallas the past 3 years. Romo can't carry a team we've seen that with the Cowboys. You put too much on his plate and we've seen the results. Even with a solid runner KC can't win because they need a QB who can carry the team.

Romo is not that guy he's a good QB but he needs a solid team around to help take some of the load off his plate. You would thinks FANS here would know that by now. Romo would suffer more picks and strip sacks in KC than he ever did in Dallas. In only 8 starts Brady Quinn suffered 21 sacks. Put Romo behind their OL and give him their receiving corp that probably will be minus Bowe and see what happens.

DFWJC

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4943241 said:
No. I would not do this if it costed us Romo and our #1.
It does make it a much tougher choice.

But that is what the trade would have to for..at a minumum. Maybe even Romo, Dallas' 1st and 2nd rounder.

The value of the number one overall pick is enormous.
Literally, if we owned 3 first rounders--say 20th, 22nd, 23rd...they would not add up to the 1st overall pick according to most value charts. Evenif we threw it out, it's be two 1sts and a second .

Mind-boggling.

Looking at their roster and results this year, I do think if KC got out 1st rounder and Romo, thy could quickly go from 2-14 to 10-6 or so. The lost a lot of games where they barely scored at all....and they do have weapons.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
I don't believe that there is a QB in free agency or the 2013 draft that can give the Dallas Cowboys a better chance to win than Tony Romo.

DFWJC

Reaction score
EPL0c0;4943391 said:
I don't believe that there is a QB in free agency or the 2013 draft that can give the Dallas Cowboys a better chance to win than Tony Romo.
In 2013 or 2014, I'd say for sure this is true.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
KJJ;4943353 said:
The argument I'm having is with those who think he can turn KC around. One FAN thinks the Chiefs could possibly win it all with Romo. :laugh2: You don't think Romo would be having to battle from behind in KC? Romo is a good QB that's not the argument but he's not a QB a dreadful team like KC needs to invest the #1 overall pick on. They already burned a #2 on Cassel a few years ago because he had success with a load of talent around him in NE.

If Romo can't win more than 8 games in 3 years with the Cowboys he'll never approach that number of wins in KC I can promise you that. Romo would be beat up every week in KC. For Romo to have success he needs a solid team around him offensively and defensively. He simply can't carry a bad team.

No I don't. KC has a lot of talent on both sides of the ball and say what you will about Reid, he can coach offense.

They have good young talent on the OL. They have Hillis and Charles at RB. They have Bowe, Breaston, McCluster and Baldwin at WR. They are at the bottom of the league in passing but they are top 5 in rushing.

Defensively, they have Shawn Smith, Dontari Poe, on the DL. They have Houston and Hali at OLB and Derrick Johnson at ILB. They have Flowers and Arenas at CB and Berry at Safety. They are young and loaded on defense. They are the number 8 scoring defense in the league last year.

Yeah, I could see how they could be contending in a year or two easily.

Wood

Reaction score
cowboysooner;4943083 said:
I heard this question from Bill Barnwell Grantland's lead football writer. He thinks the Chiefs should do this, but should the Cowboys?

I can see the rationale on the Cowboys' side. Clear out the aging but good or great players for draft picks and future cap room (Romo, Ware perhaps Spencer or Miles). Get rid of the bad contracts (Free, Ratliff) play a year with Orton. Find a young qb.

Retool around Dez, Lee, Smith, Carter Murray, Claiborne, Carr.

I felt last year was year to make a move in trading up to first pick for luck.

cowboysooner

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4943401 said:
No I don't. KC has a lot of talent on both sides of the ball and say what you will about Reid, he can coach offense.

They have good young talent on the OL. They have Hillis and Charles at RB. They have Bowe, Breaston, McCluster and Baldwin at WR. They are at the bottom of the league in passing but they are top 5 in rushing.

Defensively, they have Shawn Smith, Dontari Poe, on the DL. They have Houston and Hali at OLB and Derrick Johnson at ILB. They have Flowers and Arenas at CB and Berry at Safety. They are young and loaded on defense. They are the number 8 scoring defense in the league last year.

What KC does not need is a develpmental player that would "grow up" with the team. They need a win now quarterback. In 3 years, many of their corp will be getting close to 3rd contracts or out of the league. Cassel was supposed to be that guy, but he is an abject failure.

Also, the level of coaching skill between Andy Reid and Romeo Crennel cannot be overstated.

It does not matter because Jerry does not believe in creative destruction despite his greatest teams being the direct result of that.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Wood;4943425 said:
I felt last year was year to make a move in trading up to first pick for luck.
Would have been nice, except for the cost.

Extremely expensive

2012 Draft picks: 1st,2nd,3rd,
2013 Draft picks: 1st,2nd
2014 Draft picks: 1st

and maybe more

I know Washington gave up:
2012: 1st, 2nd
2013: 1st
2014: 1st

and almost all GMs (maybe 30 of 32 or so?) had Luck ahead of RG3 pre-draft.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
DFWJC;4943435 said:
Would have been nice, except for the cost.

Extremely expensive

2012 Draft picks: 1st,2nd,3rd,
2013 Draft picks: 1st,2nd
2014 Draft picks: 1st

and maybe more

I always figured Tony Romo, 2012 1st-6th, 2013 1st and 2nd would've done it. That looks like a steal now.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
zrinkill;4943136 said:
Not this year.

I wouldn't either. Build the line then we can start looking for Romo's future replacement. But I think he has another few years left in him.

mmillman

Reaction score
absolutely but it will never happen.

Dallas, unfortunately, needs to start thinking about the future. Romo, Witten, Ware are all past their primes.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4943281 said:
When Romo is not having to come from behind every game, he is a top 5 QB. When he can be comfortable in the pocket, he is as good a QB as there is in this league. The problem for us is that we don't have the talent to allow him to do that. Imagine how good Romo could be with a good young OL and a top 5 running game?

Actually, we had the LEAD in the Washington game before Romo started having his meltdown. It had nothing to do with the oline, running game, or the defense.

DWhite Fan

It ain't over 'til it's over
Reaction score
I heard this question from Bill Barnwell Grantland's lead football writer. He thinks the Chiefs should do this, but should the Cowboys?

I can see the rationale on the Cowboys' side. Clear out the aging but good or great players for draft picks and future cap room (Romo, Ware perhaps Spencer or Miles). Get rid of the bad contracts (Free, Ratliff) play a year with Orton. Find a young qb.

Why? You have an established QB and you would rather role the dice on a draft pick? There is no guarantee that even a #1 pick will make it in the NFL. Romo is not perfect, but the team around him is not either. Especially the GM/defacto HC. I would rather take my chances this season with Romo and a HEALTHY team (with some upgrades to the O Line) than a rookie QB who may or may not be worth the investment. Draft a young QB next year in one of the later rounds and groom him to take over for Tony in a couple of years...
:starspin

DFWJC

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4943401 said:

Yes.

If you go down their non-QB roster, player by player, there is not much difference in their team and ours. And if you compare it to what we were rolling with down the stretch, they were way better off.

Kilyin

Reaction score
Romo 2 Austin;4943437 said:
I always figured Tony Romo, 2012 1st-6th, 2013 1st and 2nd would've done it. That looks like a steal now.

You'd think including Miles Austin (or maybe instead of Romo) in that trade would have ensured we got what we wanted, since he's the best receiver on the team (and definitely not a 'choker') according to you.

bonesbr549

Reaction score

No way in hell they want Romo for a number 1. Would you give up a 1 for him. Maybe a 3rd or 4th.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
bonesbr549;4943461 said:
No way in hell they want Romo for a number 1. Would you give up a 1 for him. Maybe a 3rd or 4th.

Yes, he would give up a #1 for a failed QB.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Romo 2 Austin;4943437 said:
Certainly would have worked if they wanted Romo.
Obviously, Dallas would have never given up Romo, all of the the 2012 draft, and the prizes of the next year's draft too. Way too rich....in their eyes anyway.

Seeing that Indy didn't have to give up anything to keep that pick, it's hard to measure right away how they would have done long term.

The better measures will be Washington and St Louis. The Skins gave up the farm and got a franchise player. We'll see how it works for them not having all those picks going forward. It sure helped that they drafted so well with what they had this year.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
ufcrules1;4943447 said:
Actually, we had the LEAD in the Washington game before Romo started having his meltdown. It had nothing to do with the oline, running game, or the defense.

Don't really agree with this but it doesn't matter. In a single game, long term conclusions can not be drawn. I maintain that if Romo is in a balanced offense with time to throw and a good defense to play with, he is a top 5 QB in the NFL.

That's my opinion of Romo.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
cowboysooner;4943365 said:
I think in 2011 Romo would have been the 2nd best qb in the craptastic AFC. In 2012 he would have been 3rd. The pro bowl qb this year is Matt Shaub who is no great shakes. I think Romo would give them a top 5 AFC quarterback behind Brady and Manning and with- soon to be behind Big Ben and Luck. He is a better player than Shaub and Flacco.

KC has a better line than Dallas. They have better/more explosive back. They don't have a great receivers, but Cassel is so, so bad. If they had league average qb play, they would have been a better than average team.

Romo would have had little success in KC this season with the team they have. Cassel and Quinn combined for 27 turnovers and 40 sacks. Romo had 22 turnovers and was sacked 36 times on a team far more talented. A turnover prone gunslinger isn't a good fit for a team like KC they need a steady QB who can play mistake free football. KC's problems aren't just QB related they have issues that go deeper. Romo turns the ball over a lot and with KC's lack of talent at receiver that would lead to sacks and forced throws into coverage.

KC does run the ball well but they need a QB who can take on a big load and not fold under it. Funny how some FANS say all Romo needs is a better team around him to win a ring and now you have FANS saying he could be successful in KC and one even went so far as to claim he could possibly lead them to a championship. :laugh2: One minute FANS say Romo needs a better team around him and the next minute they say he could take a crap team like KC and turn them into a winner. :rolleyes: If he can't win with the Cowboys he sure as hell isn't going to win in KC.