Would you trade Zeke for a 2nd round pick?

mardwin

Reaction score
Nobody is trading for Zeke. He's not a difference-maker for the salary he's getting.

fivetwos

Reaction score
It's an additional 10.8mil dead cap hit on top of his 13.7mil 2021 cap hit if they cut him.

Trade prior to June 1st, for the 2nd round pick would be an additional 1.2mil dead cap on top of the 13.7mil cap hit.
So, it would be 14.9mil on the books for a now traded back. And honestly, I would think about it a lot.
I'm not saying you're wrong because I dont know and its difficult to understand, but is that the case if traded as opposed to cut?

So then two teams would have his salary count against the cap?

If released, it cant be assumed that another team will pick him up, but if traded it would be.

I realized theres an accelerated money thing, but a trade may be different than an outright release.

Again I don't know, just raising what seems logical.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Unfortunately you take a 10.8 mil cap hit if you trade Zeke.

so for that alone I wouldn’t.

Zeke can’t be moved on from until after next season
Who cares about the cap hit? That represents dollars that will hit the cap regardless. Trading Zeke gets you an asset for an average rb. It also means you don't guarantee his 2022 salary of 12mm.

I'd take a lot less than a 2nd to trade Zeke.

OH btw the guy we should have taken just did this...

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
It's an additional 10.8mil dead cap hit on top of his 13.7mil 2021 cap hit if they cut him.

Trade prior to June 1st, for the 2nd round pick would be an additional 1.2mil dead cap on top of the 13.7mil cap hit.
So, it would be 14.9mil on the books for a now traded back. And honestly, I would think about it a lot.

$1.2M additional CAP to take on, when receiving a 2nd round pick AND the savings on the remaining contract is a no-brainer.

Haha ClintonDix costs 2x more than $1.2M, for perspective. So instead of the $1.2M you lost to gain a player you get to use a 2nd rounder on a much higher potential player.

John813

Reaction score
I'm not saying you're wrong because I dont know and its difficult to understand, but is that the case if traded as opposed to cut?

So then two teams would have his salary count against the cap?

If released, it cant be assumed that another team will pick him up, but if traded it would be.

I realized theres an accelerated money thing, but a trade may be different than an outright release.

Again I don't know, just raising what seems logical.

Zeke has guaranteed base salary for 2021 at 9.6 million. If traded, it doesn't count as dead cap as the following team pays it. If cut it counts as dead cap for us as it was guaranteed salary to be paid out over the course of the season.

Any team acquiring Zeke would have his current cap hits minus the prorated bonus(from his signing bonus).
So, if no restructure was done, and he was traded to Miami his cap hit in miami would be 9.6mil for 2021(13.7mil-4.1mil) and so forth for the remaining years.

Dallas would eat his prorated bonus for this year and the remaining years all in 2021 if traded prior to June 1st. But after 2021 he doesn't exist on our books. The team acquiring him will just be on the hook for his base salary.

Last edited:

starfan1

Reaction score
Who cares about the cap hit? That represents dollars that will hit the cap regardless. Trading Zeke gets you an asset for an average rb. It also means you don't guarantee his 2022 salary of 12mm.

talk about salt in the wound. This and henrys 2000 yard season. Oh well. Mediocrity is a beautiful thing lol.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Agreed. Unfortunately a 2nd is just waaay to high for him and his contract. Now, I could see a 4th to a team like JAX if Urban Meyer was taking the job, which is being supposedly being reported.

Good point about Urban Meyer. I didn’t think about that. I think Meyer would like to pair Lawrence (or Fields) with Zeke. I think Meyer would use Zeke where he is best in the read pass option much better than McCarthy and Dak.

Problem is that RBs like Sermon are better or as good and much cheaper. Zeke would be the bigger ticket draw if Jax needs to put butts in the seats.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score

Look at his contract.

StuckMojo

Reaction score
talk about salt in the wound. This and henrys 2000 yard season. Oh well. Mediocrity is a beautiful thing lol.
You think Henry gets 2K in Moore’s scheme and this Oline?

I love to watch Henry and his stiff arm!

blueblood70

Reaction score

umm the team he was drafted by let him walk.. sorry bad example if hes so great why di Jax not pay the man/

Ekspozed

Reaction score
Zeke will be back next season.

Hopefully this season has humbled him and made him hungry. He needs to get his body right and have a bounce back year if he wants to silence the critics, because there are a lot of them.

Another season like this and im not sure he makes it much longer.

Heres to hoping for the best.

Sydla

Reaction score
Sure if the cap wasn't an issue here. If you trade him for a 2nd round pick in this coming draft, you would have to take an additional $1.2 million cap hit this year on top of his regular cap hit for 2021. In other words, if you moved him the Cowboys would have to take a $14.9 million cap hit for a player that wouldn't even be on your roster. That's crazy.

That being said, I doubt any team would want to take him on given the contract anyway.

starfan1

Reaction score
umm the team he was drafted by let him walk.. sorry bad example if hes so great why di Jax not pay the man/
its a solid example he may not have been as discontent playing with jones across from him. In fact I would argue that the cowboys most likely have more success with both of them and perhaps jerry who regularly rolls out the checkbook does so to keep them both here

Then again its Jerry

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
First of all, don't care for "what if" questions. Someone makes an actual offer I'll do an analysis of the offer.

Second, to even bring it up is silly, his worst year (full years, not including the suspension year, though if you extrapolate the 10 game stats it is about the same as the others) he had1,357 yards rushing and scored 12 rushing tds.

He has a down year, on a team missing several key pieces of the offense, and now it's "get rid of him" time.

He's soon to be only 26 years old and has never had a major injury. Can run, block and catch. Not a locker room distraction. Knows the offense. Makes other teams focus on his running to at least a large degree.

Not a good idea to take an offer like that....

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
Zeke isn't going anywhere - next year will be interesting though.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
If the Cowboys want to unload Zeke & get some cap wiggle room, a team like the Jets would make plenty of sense.

The Jets sit with the 2nd most projected cap space in 2021 at more than $81 million & figure to use the No. 1 pick on a pick like Trevor Lawrence.