Would you trade Zeke for a 2nd round pick?

fivetwos

Reaction score
Zeke has guaranteed base salary for 2021 at 9.6 million. If traded, it doesn't count as dead cap as the following team pays it. If cut it counts as dead cap for us as it was guaranteed salary to be paid out over the course of the season.

Any team acquiring Zeke would have his current cap hits minus the prorated bonus(from his signing bonus).
So, if no restructure was done, and he was traded to Miami his cap hit in miami would be 9.6mil for 2021(13.7mil-4.1mil) and so forth for the remaining years.

Dallas would eat his prorated bonus for this year and the remaining years all in 2021 if traded prior to June 1st. But after 2021 he doesn't exist on our books. The team acquiring him will just be on the hook for his base salary.
Ok thx.

I personally would do it and figure out how to absorb the hit.

If you dont, it's the same thing the year after when he has that much more mileage on him.

There isn't a SHOT Jerry does this so it's kinda moot.

Sydla

Reaction score
First of all, don't care for "what if" questions. Someone makes an actual offer I'll do an analysis of the offer.

Second, to even bring it up is silly, his worst year (full years, not including the suspension year, though if you extrapolate the 10 game stats it is about the same as the others) he had1,357 yards rushing and scored 12 rushing tds.

He has a down year, on a team missing several key pieces of the offense, and now it's "get rid of him" time.

He's soon to be only 26 years old and has never had a major injury. Can run, block and catch. Not a locker room distraction. Knows the offense. Makes other teams focus on his running to at least a large degree.

Not a good idea to take an offer like that....

That's a simplistic analysis. I doubt anyone would want to get rid of him if his cap charges were like $5 million in 2021.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
That's a simplistic analysis. I doubt anyone would want to get rid of him if his cap charges were like $5 million in 2021.

Classic "bird in the hand " situation. Myself, I'm willing to let Zeke ride another year. Others want to risk doing worse than Zeke, a la Pollard as the lead back, get Gore or other draft another lead back.

Neither is a guaranteed win, despite what the "experts" on this site may think.

That part is simple..

quickccc

Reaction score
Nope,.to idea of trading Zeke
. i'd like to think I did everything in my power to resurrect and get as close to the 2016 Zeke version as possible and I feel that we have not come close to that.

And further more my bigger concern is that we don't have the current coaching staff or strengthening coach to recognize and properly address it.

I've come to the conclusion of two reasons for Zeke's decline.
either his body is beaten and worn down considerably after pounding and toll of after just 4 year,
.. or Garrett regime bulked him as such where he's more top heavy than what he needs to be.
Either way he doesn't have the innate difference making burst he came into NFL with, and why team drafted him as high as 4th overall in 2016. :eek:

Havic

Reaction score
Yes, id take the 2nd and the cap hit and draft a rb with that pick.

Sydla

Reaction score
Classic "bird in the hand " situation. Myself, I'm willing to let Zeke ride another year. Others want to risk doing worse than Zeke, a la Pollard as the lead back, get Gore or other draft another lead back.

That part is simple..

They have no choice to ride him another year unless they are willing to just take a real painful cap hit in 2021 to just get rid of him.

That doesn't make much sense to me as you'd then have to allocate even more money to the TB position on top of the $15 million cap hit you'd have to take just to get rid of him.

If they could see real cap savings from getting rid of Elliott this year, it'd be a no brainer.

Sydla

Reaction score
But it's not $5 million, another "what if" scenario...

It's not really a "what if" scenario. It was to point out that the conversation about Elliott isn't just about his production. It's not the production that people have an issue with. It's the fact he eats up a significant chunk of cap space in a league that has shown the TB position can be fungible.

fivetwos

Reaction score

That part is simple..
Yeah but theres no luxury of one more year.

If he isnt cut this March, his 2022 money is guaranteed also.

fivetwos

Reaction score
It's not really a "what if" scenario. It was to point out that the conversation about Elliott isn't just about his production. It's not the production that people have an issue with. It's the fact he eats up a significant chunk of cap space in a league that has shown the TB position can be fungible.
His production is fine.

His salary is fine.

The two together dont work.

Again though, this one is just below debating letting Dak go or Jerry stepping down.....NOT gonna happen so it doesnt matter.

fivetwos

Reaction score
The team is declining
Having that much cap space in two players that arent performing even close to their salaries is part of that.

It also prevents them from getting much better other than using draft picks.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Houston traded Hopkins + 4th for David Johnson and a second and a future 4th.

While not the same criteria you listed, it was still equally ridiculous lol. Top receiver in his prime for a broken back

What happened to the GM that did that?

Sydla

Reaction score
His production is fine.

His salary is fine.

The two together dont work.

Again though, this one is just below debating letting Dak go or Jerry stepping down.....NOT gonna happen so it doesnt matter.

His salary (or more specifically cap hit) is not fine. IMO teams shouldn't have that much cap space tied into one TB in today's NFL.