News: WP: CBS fires VP for writing ‘Republican gun toters’ killed in Las Vegas don’t deserve sympathy

Status
Not open for further replies.

superonyx

Reaction score
There is nothing more that could have been done to prevent that tragedy. Evil law breakers do not yield to laws that the rest of us obey.

I carry a gun to stop evil doers from doing evil deeds otherwise you would never know I have one.
If this is true then we are really doomed as a country.
If nothing can be done that would have stopped this or any other mass shooting then we really are in trouble.
The rest of the civilized world isn't having this problem. Why is their things they do that prevent this from continuing to happen yet when it happens here people say "there is nothing more that could have been done".

This is why I am at the point where I have to say this is just who we are as Americans.

As a country we are just willing to accept that the next sporting event, concert, trip to an amusement park, could very well be your last day on this earth because a person having a mental crisis's rights are more important than your right to live.

It's depressing really.

DIAF

DivaLover159
Reaction score
while it is true that anyone that is sufficiently disturbed can find a way to lash out and kill people - it's made a lot easier and efficient by the firearm.

There are 300 million firearms in circulation in this country alone - even if you decided to ban guns tommorrow, there's no way you stop this. However, you can make it harder or less deadly. I am not in favor of a firearm ban, but I think there's some common sense things that reasonable gun owners (i own a couple myself) could agree to if not for the NRA and the gun lobby standing in the way.

Longer waiting periods, more stringent background checks. Bans on high-capacity magazines, drums, and the like. Bans on bump-fire modifications that effectively increase the RoF.

These are sensible things we can do to at least make the next mass shooting not quite as tragic. I'm sure there's a certain crowd that will scream YER TAKIN MUH GUNS but what does a hunter, sportsman, or even someone who simply wants home defense need to do with a 30-round mag or a drum? Or a bump-fire stock mod? Fully automatic weapons are already illegal without the certain permits for a reason...

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
If nothing can be done that would have stopped this or any other mass shooting then we really are in trouble.
The rest of the civilized world isn't having this problem. Why is their things they do that prevent this from continuing to happen yet when it happens here people say "there is nothing more that could have been done".

This is why I am at the point where I have to say this is just who we are as Americans.

As a country we are just willing to accept that the next sporting event, concert, trip to an amusement park, could very well be your last day on this earth because a person having a mental crisis's rights are more important than your right to live.

It's depressing really.
You are still preaching your ignorance and false narratives. Mass shooting do happen in other countries. This is nothing unique to America.

Australia thought they had the answer by taking everyone's guns but what they found out after doing that was... no shocker, really... the bad guys still had guns. You would have us believe Australia never had a mass shooting again after collecting all the guns. That's not true, they've had 13 mass shooting since taking that massive gun round up. Australia finally wised up and reversed it's anti-gun stance and now they have as many guns as ever.

We do not accept mass shooting as the new normal and never will. What you are doing is fear monger and it is quite disgusting.

superonyx

Reaction score
You are still preaching your ignorance and false narratives. Mass shooting do happen in other countries. This is nothing unique to America.

Australia thought they had the answer by taking everyone's guns but what they found out after doing that was... no shocker, really... the bad guys still had guns. You would have us believe Australia never had a mass shooting again after collecting all the guns. That's not true, they've had 13 mass shooting since taking that massive gun round up. Australia finally wised up and reversed it's anti-gun stance and now they have as many guns as ever.

We do not accept mass shooting as the new normal and never will. What you are doing is fear monger and it is quite disgusting.
You just make crap up and think it will go unchecked?
You mentioned Australia...they had a mass shooting and responding with reforming gun laws...not banning them btw...
Guess how many mass shootings they have had since the reform? Not the lie you posted..

Here is the truth.

Since the law went into effect, only one mass shooting has occurred in Australia -- a 2014 incident where a farmer shot his wife and three children before killing himself, according to The Associated Press.

http://abcnews.go.com/International...rys-deadliest-mass-shooting/story?id=50263959

And btw..we’ve had 1500 since Sandy Hook alone.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
while it is true that anyone that is sufficiently disturbed can find a way to lash out and kill people - it's made a lot easier and efficient by the firearm.

There are 300 million firearms in circulation in this country alone - even if you decided to ban guns tommorrow, there's no way you stop this. However, you can make it harder or less deadly. I am not in favor of a firearm ban, but I think there's some common sense things that reasonable gun owners (i own a couple myself) could agree to if not for the NRA and the gun lobby standing in the way.

Longer waiting periods, more stringent background checks. Bans on high-capacity magazines, drums, and the like. Bans on bump-fire modifications that effectively increase the RoF.

These are sensible things we can do to at least make the next mass shooting not quite as tragic. I'm sure there's a certain crowd that will scream YER TAKIN MUH GUNS but what does a hunter, sportsman, or even someone who simply wants home defense need to do with a 30-round mag or a drum? Or a bump-fire stock mod? Fully automatic weapons are already illegal without the certain permits for a reason...
Bump fire mod bans would only make you feel better but would be ineffective. No need to purchase, they would be easy to make.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
You just make crap up and think it will go unchecked?
You mentioned Australia...they had a mass shooting and responding with reforming gun laws...not banning them btw...
Guess how many mass shootings they have had since the reform? Not the lie you posted..

Here is the truth.

Since the law went into effect, only one mass shooting has occurred in Australia -- a 2014 incident where a farmer shot his wife and three children before killing himself, according to The Associated Press.

http://abcnews.go.com/International...rys-deadliest-mass-shooting/story?id=50263959

And btw..we’ve had 1500 since Sandy Hook alone.

LOL... ABCnews, and you wonder why the president calls them "fake news". Way to parrot garbage. :rolleyes:

The Australian Gun Control Fallacy...
http://thefederalist.com/2015/06/25/the-australia-gun-control-fallacy/

https://caffeinatedthoughts.com/2016/06/no-mass-shootings-the-myth-of-australia-gun-control-policy/

Last edited:

superonyx

Reaction score
LOL... ABCnews, and you wonder why the president calls them "fake news". Way to parrot garbage. :rolleyes:

The Australian Gun Control Fallacy...
http://thefederalist.com/2015/06/25/the-australia-gun-control-fallacy/

https://caffeinatedthoughts.com/2016/06/no-mass-shootings-the-myth-of-australia-gun-control-policy/
Actually it was the associated press. Nice try.
And your link does nothing to back up your claim. My link shows Australia has had 1 mass shooting and it was a farmer who shot his own family. Your link showed absolutely nothing..

So tell me again why it wouldn’t reduce mass shootings in America?
USA 1500 mass shootings since 2012
Australia 1

If you can’t start posting intelligent facts please just stop. It’s embarrassing already.

Keep it up and I’m going to have the mods change my user name to JoeKing’s Daddy.

DIAF

DivaLover159
Reaction score
Bump fire mod bans would only make you feel better but would be ineffective. No need to purchase, they would be easy to make.

I'd be willing to bet you all of my money that significantly less people would MAKE a bump-fire mod than purchase. By definition, that would make it harder to obtain.

Fully automatic weapons are already regulated and restricted by the federal government; so why aren't mods that are designed to convert weapons into effectively fully automatic weapons? At the very least, those things should be subject to the same regulations.

None of this addresses the main problem with mass shooters like the Nevada guy - that's healthcare/mental illness issues. However, if the next mass shooter doesn't have an easy way to rain down hundereds of rounds in seconds upon crowds of people, that alone is a help.

And i'm sorry, "because 2nd amendment" is not a good reason for the public to have high capacity fully automatic weapons

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Actually it was the associated press. Nice try.
And your link does nothing to back up your claim. My link shows Australia has had 1 mass shooting and it was a farmer who shot his own family. Your link showed absolutely nothing..

So tell me again why it wouldn’t reduce mass shootings in America?
USA 1500 mass shootings since 2012
Australia 1

If you can’t start posting intelligent facts please just stop. It’s embarrassing already.

Keep it up and I’m going to have the mods change my user name to JoeKing’s Daddy.
You are the biggest troll on this board. Your hair brain theories have been debunked so you resort to childish harassment and personal attacks. Fear Mongering and Cyber-bulling is all you have and to that I have to laugh. :laugh::lmao::lmao2:

superonyx

Reaction score
You are the biggest troll on this board. Your hair brain theories have been debunked so you resort to childish harassment and personal attacks. Fear Mongering and Cyber-bulling is all you have and to that I have to laugh. :laugh::lmao::lmao2:
Debunked by who?
You can't even "debunk" a single post. You post fake numbers that you make up and now you got called on it and you are embarrassed. Its obvious.

Go ahead and debunk my latest point on this thread. Show us how smart you are.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score

This is quite the intellectual copout.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I am amazed that CBS had the stones to do the right thing.

What is wrong with CBS News? I find them too law and order for my taste but is this just another example of "anything not in my conservative echo chamber is to be biased away?"

DFWJC

Reaction score

It's depressing really.
Really, that's now the case anywhere in the world. See "safe" Paris, London, or wherever as examples.
Add the fact that there are 350 million people in the US and the odds go up too.
Sadly.
And yes, saying it sux is a massive understatement.

Current laws (if followed...which is naïve) should actually prevent what happened in Vegas. But the lunatic didn't care about laws just as someone with an explosive doesn't care either.
There ARE some basic things that should be done regarding guns that should at least make it harder to occur.
Common sense type stuff.

Last edited:

Dodger12

Reaction score

It's bleak for sure. We have way too many "soft" targets in our country and these crazed individuals can just pick and choose where and when to act, whether it be a movie theater, a school, a concert, etc. You can't protect them all. There are 320 million people in this country. There is no way to defend against every maniac with evil intent.

Did you forget France? France has strict gun control laws but that hasn’t stopped killers from getting fully automatic machine guns to use in mass shootings. They had 4 in 2015, including the Charlie Hebdo attacks that killed 17 people and the concert shootings that killed 130 people. Or the nutjob in Norway that killed 77 kids at a summer camp in 2011. Or the Beslan School siege in Russia where almost 400 children were massacred?

Also, don't forget in the 70s, 80s and 90s, Europe had machine gun attacks in airports and nightclubs by terrorist groups such as Black September and the Red Army Faction. How about the 1985 Rome and Vienna that killed 17 and wounded hundreds? And these animals not only used machine guns but also hand grenades. How about the Munich Olympics? Again, machine guns.

Unfortunately, it's not all that uncommon if you think about it so all these "things" that other countries do is not a good argument.

It's depressing really.

Life changed after 9/11. It's the sad reality. And after I saw the Beslan attacks in 2004 where these animals attacked a damn elementary school and killed almost 400 children, I knew we were in trouble. Nothing is sacred to someone who has evil intent.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I brought up further common sense gun laws--nothing doing away with the 2nd Amendment whatsoever--but just common sense-type stuff.

A friend sent me this article

-------------------------------------
I used to think gun control was the answer. My research told me otherwise.

By Leah Libresco

October 3, 2017 at 3:02 PM

Guns on display at a gun store in Miami. (Alan Diaz/AP)

Leah Libresco is a statistician and former newswriter at FiveThirtyEight, a data journalism site. She is the author of "Arriving at Amen."

Before I started researching gun deaths, gun-control policy used to frustrate me. I wished the National Rifle Association would stop blocking common-sense gun-control reforms such as banning assault weapons, restricting silencers, shrinking magazine sizes and all the other measures that could make guns less deadly.

Then, my colleagues and I at FiveThirtyEight spent three months analyzing all 33,000 lives ended by guns each year in the United States, and I wound up frustrated in a whole new way. We looked at what interventions might have saved those people, and the case for the policies I'd lobbied for crumbled when I examined the evidence. The best ideas left standing were narrowly tailored interventions to protect subtypes of potential victims, not broad attempts to limit the lethality of guns.

I researched the strictly tightened gun laws in Britain and Australia and concluded that they didn't prove much about what America's policy should be. Neither nation experienced drops in mass shootings or other gun related-crime that could be attributed to their buybacks and bans. Mass shootings were too rare in Australia for their absence after the buyback program to be clear evidence of progress. And in both Australia and Britain, the gun restrictions had an ambiguous effect on other gun-related crimes or deaths.

When I looked at the other oft-praised policies, I found out that no gun owner walks into the store to buy an "assault weapon." It's an invented classification that includes any semi-automatic that has two or more features, such as a bayonet mount, a rocket-propelled grenade-launcher mount, a folding stock or a pistol grip. But guns are modular, and any hobbyist can easily add these features at home, just as if they were snapping together Legos.

After a shooting in Las Vegas left at least 58 people dead and injured hundreds, Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.) on Oct. 2 said Congress’s failure to pass gun-control legislation amounts to an “unintentional endorsement” of mass shootings. (U.S. Senate)

As for silencers — they deserve that name only in movies, where they reduce gunfire to a soft puick puick. In real life, silencers limit hearing damage for shooters but don't make gunfire dangerously quiet. An AR-15 with a silencer is about as loud as a jackhammer. Magazine limits were a little more promising, but a practiced shooter could still change magazines so fast as to make the limit meaningless.

As my co-workers and I kept looking at the data, it seemed less and less clear that one broad gun-control restriction could make a big difference. Two-thirds of gun deaths in the United States every year are suicides. Almost no proposed restriction would make it meaningfully harder for people with guns on hand to use them. I couldn't even answer my most desperate question: If I had a friend who had guns in his home and a history of suicide attempts, was there anything I could do that would help?

However, the next-largest set of gun deaths — 1 in 5 — were young men aged 15 to 34, killed in homicides. These men were most likely to die at the hands of other young men, often related to gang loyalties or other street violence. And the last notable group of similar deaths was the 1,700 women murdered per year, usually as the result of domestic violence. Far more people were killed in these ways than in mass-shooting incidents, but few of the popularly floated policies were tailored to serve them.

By the time we published our project, I didn't believe in many of the interventions I'd heard politicians tout. I was still anti-gun, at least from the point of view of most gun owners, and I don't want a gun in my home, as I think the risk outweighs the benefits. But I can't endorse policies whose only selling point is that gun owners hate them. Policies that often seem as if they were drafted by people who have encountered guns only as a figure in a briefing book or an image on the news.

Instead, I found the most hope in more narrowly tailored interventions. Potential suicide victims, women menaced by their abusive partners and kids swept up in street vendettas are all in danger from guns, but they each require different protections.

Older men, who make up the largest share of gun suicides, need better access to people who could care for them and get them help. Women endangered by specific men need to be prioritized by police, who can enforce restraining orders prohibiting these men from buying and owning guns. Younger men at risk of violence need to be identified before they take a life or lose theirs and to be connected to mentors who can help them de-escalate conflicts.

Even the most data-driven practices, such as New Orleans' plan to identify gang members for intervention based on previous arrests and weapons seizures, wind up more personal than most policies floated. The young men at risk can be identified by an algorithm, but they have to be disarmed one by one, personally — not en masse as though they were all interchangeable. A reduction in gun deaths is most likely to come from finding smaller chances for victories and expanding those solutions as much as possible. We save lives by focusing on a range of tactics to protect the different kinds of potential victims and reforming potential killers, not from sweeping bans focused on the guns themselves.

While the attack on the Las Vegas strip is the deadliest in modern American history, attacks in the 19th and 20th centuries had higher death tolls. Here are two deadly events in American history that you may not have heard about. (Victoria Walker/The Washington Post

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Debunked by who?
You can't even "debunk" a single post. You post fake numbers that you make up and now you got called on it and you are embarrassed. Its obvious.

Go ahead and debunk my latest point on this thread. Show us how smart you are.
The latest point you made on this thread is you're a parrot pedaling garbage. Your fear-mongering message is exactly how the terrorist win. And I do consider the wack job that shot up Las Vegas a terrorist. I'm starting to believe you are a terrorist too because you want everyone to live in fear. I won't entertain your BS ideology and I'm not going to play your fear-mongering games. You can deny the links I've provided all you want but it doesn't make the truth of your lies go away. I'm done wasting my time with you. Find someone else to fear-monger. Welcome to my ignore list.

Status
Not open for further replies.