WR by committee didn't work, will RB by committee work?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I know it's two different positions, but when you have too many of something in football you don't have anything!! Who gets the start, who gets the most touches, who is able to find a rhythm? I think we're doing ourselves a disservice to this season by counting on multiple RBS to do the job. The easy way would be to get a starter, and have a solid back up/change of pace back.

I don't see this working, but who knows. Please give your thoughts
I don't think we'll be as much committee as some are. Zeke is the only proven starter we have at the position, so he'll get the lion's share. However, since he's older and wear and tear on his body is showing, we'll try to sprinkle in the other backs more. Dowdle might get 5-10 carries and/or Freeman. I'm not sure how Vaughn fits this running scheme or if he does. He could be used as a third-and-long back if his blocking is up to snuff. We may even see a few more fullback handoffs to Luepke.

I think it can actually work better than what we saw last year when we tried to make Pollard the lead back in an inside running scheme.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
SO nobody is gonna answer how well the Cowboys do this by committee thing ..... :laugh:
About as well as we do anything.

WE had the best 1rb in the league 4 times last decade, whered it get us.

Oh noes....a commitee! There goes our super bowl thanks a lot.

Jayinem

Reaction score
It's just so dumb RB is the easiest and one of the cheapest if not the cheapest position in the NFL to get a good player. But they couldn't bother in free agency or the draft. No this will not work with Zeke and guys off the street.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
RB by committee can work. But there have to be complimentary pieces.

For example, Zeke would be a nice compliment to a speedy back who is a threat to break one. We don’t currently have a RB that can do that. The combo of Zeke and Pollard back in 2022 was pretty good because Pollard was always a threat to break one. That keeps defenses on their heels.

Zeke’s short yardage power could be useful on occasion but if there is no one on this committee with the burst to break a long run, we just have a bunch of average backs with no real ability to threaten a defense. It will place an unnecessary burden on the passing game which may not exactly have enough outside of Lamb and Ferguson..

Chasing6

Reaction score
I know it's two different positions, but when you have too many of something in football you don't have anything!! Who gets the start, who gets the most touches, who is able to find a rhythm? I think we're doing ourselves a disservice to this season by counting on multiple RBS to do the job. The easy way would be to get a starter, and have a solid back up/change of pace back.

I don't see this working, but who knows. Please give your thoughts
Not if first contact is at 2 yards.

If first contact is at 3.5 yards like the Niners, it will work just fine.

cowboys1732

Reaction score
I am more concerned with how well the offensive line comes together this year with two rookies. If the line does well run blocking, all good. You can’t compare WR by committee and RB by committee in my opinion. It”s apples and oranges. And McCarthy’s offenses have never featured a true #1 back.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I am more concerned with how well the offensive line comes together this year with two rookies. If the line does well run blocking, all good. You can’t compare WR by committee and RB by committee in my opinion. It”s apples and oranges. And McCarthy’s offenses have never featured a true #1 back.
It is not needed. Who was the featured back in NE?

Get 3 number 2's and keep them hungry and humble. One gets hurt or in the dog house, makes no difference.

One wants a big pay day, trade him or let him walk.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Precisely. Doesnt matter how we run rbs if our o line blocking and schrme sucks. That is a proven fact since fred left.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
About as well as we do anything.

WE had the best 1rb in the league 4 times last decade, whered it get us.

Oh noes....a commitee! There goes our super bowl thanks a lot.
And I’d argue that there were some years in the 70s where it was RB by committee and things were just fine. Heck in 1977 Dorsett didn’t get the starting nod until the end of the year from Preston Pearson.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
The Cowboys had a solid committee of Barber/Jones/Choice and earlier Barber and Julius was fairly successful too. Pollard and Zeke were a solid combo.

And of course people will retort that we didn’t have playoff success. Well they didn’t either when they had Murray and Zeke as the workhorse backs

Chasing6

Reaction score
The Cowboys had a solid committee of Barber/Jones/Choice and earlier Barber and Julius was fairly successful too. Pollard and Zeke were a solid combo.

And of course people will retort that we didn’t have playoff success. Well they didn’t either when they had Murray and Zeke as the workhorse backs
Jerry can't sell as many jerseys with a committee.

:oops: