WR by committee didn't work, will RB by committee work?

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
50 years ago? Sarcasm?
What I’m saying is that RB by committee can work, it can also work with a back that takes the majority of the carries. In principle, at least.

It has worked in the past with Dallas. They have also had success the other way, too. The biggest question mark is if this committee is good enough and there’s a lot unproven there.

I’d also add that people often confuse the success or lack thereof as a unit with the lack of playoff success. These are two separate matters and are not mutually exclusive.

InPhiltraitor

Reaction score
How many teams in the modern game actually have a a bell cow back? RB Committees are the current rage in the NFL.
Wasn’t for the two playing in the SB last year. Run CMc was 2nd in carries and after Pacheco’s 205 carries the next RB was CE-H with 70. Maybe it depends on your definition of committee?

jay94

Reaction score
Running backs and receivers are completely different, one is completely necessary and the other you can get by with bums.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Running backs and receivers are completely different, one is completely necessary and the other you can get by with bums.
If you have a good OLine. If you don't, not too many Barry Sanders available.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I know it's two different positions, but when you have too many of something in football you don't have anything!! Who gets the start, who gets the most touches, who is able to find a rhythm? I think we're doing ourselves a disservice to this season by counting on multiple RBS to do the job. The easy way would be to get a starter, and have a solid back up/change of pace back.

I don't see this working, but who knows. Please give your thoughts
WR is always a committee.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I have doubts about the OL improving much in early 2024. Chances are, it'll improve as the year goes on. Adding a good RB might help things!

GMO415

Reaction score
200w.gif

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
RB by committee can work. But there have to be complimentary pieces.

For example, Zeke would be a nice compliment to a speedy back who is a threat to break one. We don’t currently have a RB that can do that. The combo of Zeke and Pollard back in 2022 was pretty good because Pollard was always a threat to break one. That keeps defenses on their heels.

Zeke’s short yardage power could be useful on occasion but if there is no one on this committee with the burst to break a long run, we just have a bunch of average backs with no real ability to threaten a defense. It will place an unnecessary burden on the passing game which may not exactly have enough outside of Lamb and Ferguson..
Why would Zeke be a complimentary back? You can get far better production than what Zeke provides IN ANY CAPACITY AS A RB with a young RB with fresh legs.

There is no logical justification to have Zeke on this roster. This "short yardage" stuff is a myth. Zeke only had 3 rushing TDs with the Patriots last year. He should not even be in the NFL now, and would not be if not for the stupidity of the JonesBoys.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
What I’m saying is that RB by committee can work, it can also work with a back that takes the majority of the carries. In principle, at least.

It has worked in the past with Dallas. They have also had success the other way, too. The biggest question mark is if this committee is good enough and there’s a lot unproven there.

I’d also add that people often confuse the success or lack thereof as a unit with the lack of playoff success. These are two separate matters and are not mutually exclusive.
Banking on outliers to work out for you is doomed to failure. You can't plan to win the lottery. Plus, you need actual quality RBs to even make this fantasy work moderately.

Mr_437

Reaction score
No!
They don't know how to rotate RBs, Zeke will be the lead RB and everyone else will get scraps.

John813

Reaction score
It's two different positions.
The NFL is a passing first league now.

There's a reason why the top WRs get 30mil AAV and the bellcow RB's are half of that.

In the past decade Dallas had Murray and Zeke take up most of that timeframe.
In 2015 they wanted to go RBBC but also lost Dez and Romo in the 1st two weeks. Hard to judge that year.
Last year Pollard was going to be the "feature" back with Rico being the change of pace. Pollard wasn't recovered or struggled being the #1 behind a line that also was meh.

You can't have chicken **** at RB and expect a RB by committee to work if they all suck. Same with WRs.
2018 the WR group sucked prior to cooper. It was a rookie Gallup and #3's/4s.

Miami runs the RBBC, with Mostert & Achane. Daniel knew Mostert from his 49ers day and bought low and Achane was a 3rd round pick. Two talented enough RBs.
They also had good success with Jeff Wilson in 2022 who is that hard nosed inside runner.